Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMC rumor [Alex M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alex M wrote:
+1. Is this a red flag for WTC? Will this change their focus in any way? Challenge touts "for the athletes." I don't know what this means.

It honestly should be a huge red flag. Venerable races like IMC switching over will be the tip of the iceberg. Companies like Challenge and Rev will swoop in and capitalize on all the missteps that WTC has had over the past few years. If you are not looking for a Kona slot (which is realistically 90% of the field) why would you care about branding. Do people really stand around the water cooler and not call themselves 'ironman' just because they raced a non mdot race. That's crazy. I have given WTC a lot of my money in the past and have had some amazing experiences but their recent stumbling makes me want to do more independent races.

I think this is a great development for Penticton, the race itself, and triathlon in general.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WTC got scooped at one of their classic races. I'm sure many other cities will now look at WTC with some skepticism. Can they get a better deal from someone else? Will Madison, Lake Placid, and Tempe look to court Challenge, HITS, and REV3? Time will tell I guess. Will be interesting for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [Alex M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alex M wrote:
+1. Is this a red flag for WTC? Will this change their focus in any way? Challenge touts "for the athletes." I don't know what this means.

Between this, the IMNYC fiasco, 70.3 Rhode Island going away, and all the other issues with some WTC-related races, things must be getting quite interesting over at WTC. I wonder what this is all going to mean going forward??
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you going to put in a few extra bouts of "training" to celebrate? ;-)

OK - this struck me as somewhat ironic - the front page (what? there's a front page?) article about this, has a related article listed about how Challenge Cairns became IM Cairns.

It's almost like IMC was the "player to be named later" in a trade...

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [oceanswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting that there's no press release from WTC on this yet?

Swim - ( x ) All good ( ) In the shop
Bike - ( x ) All good ( ) In the shop
Run - ( ) All good ( x ) In the shop
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Any word on the rumor of IMC moving to Kelowna?

x2

I assume there was something in writing saying Challenge could make their announcement first before WTC would be allowed to say where they were going to hold IMC 2013. Registration for 2013 is still on the schedule for this year's IMC line of events.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [Writerguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once everything settles down, I think we'll look back and say this was a MAJOR turning point for the sport of triathlon (or at least long distance triathlon).
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [TriZag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A friend who is in Penticton right now says IMC is going to Montreal. I have no proof but that is the word on the street.

Peter Solymosi
The Tri Bike Fit Studio
Vernon, BC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I only did one 'iron distance' race and it was Challenge, I would definitely still call myself an Ironman. WTC can own the brand all they want but they can't stop me from calling myself an Ironman.

I still wouldn't get a tattoo though because, well I think they look gross.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
If I only did one 'iron distance' race and it was Challenge, I would definitely still call myself an Ironman. WTC can own the brand all they want but they can't stop me from calling myself an Ironman.

I still wouldn't get a tattoo though because, well I think they look gross.

There are plenty of folks on ST that if you have not done a WTC race, then they will state you cannot call yourself an Ironman!!

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [solymosi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't IMMT about 90 minutes from Montreal?

Swim - ( x ) All good ( ) In the shop
Bike - ( x ) All good ( ) In the shop
Run - ( ) All good ( x ) In the shop
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [solymosi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Montreal and its potholes welcome Ironman!
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [GrahamK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes indeed. So that's a very unlikely rumor. Race IM Montreal over crap roads and potholes, instead of IMMT? Nah...
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

There are plenty of folks on ST that if you have not done a WTC race, then they will state you cannot call yourself an Ironman!!

And they are idiots.

Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [mgalluzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why? Seriuos question, I've only done 1 IM race and 3 independant one. the independants were every bit as nice as far as course and organization, but cheaper and smaller. Other than the size and cost of WTC races i had no issue with them.

So Challenge Canada will be about 700 and likely just as big (heck Roth is gigantic). What does Challenge bring to the table that WTC didn't (and I have nothing against Challenge what so ever, I just don't expect them to hand out Miatas instead of medals and have steak and caviar at the finish line.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exactly, Lake Placid is only another couple hours away from Montreal, and New York is "close" as well(if they still have an race...)
Plus there is the Esprit "Iron Distance" race in September that is fairly well established.
Highly unlikely that there is a Ironman Habs (Montreal) in the near future

Ewan

-------------------------

Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [GrahamK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GrahamK wrote:
Interesting that there's no press release from WTC on this yet?

I think a good rule of thumb in PR is to never make an announcement unless you have good news. I am betting on IMWhistler at the moment given that intrawest owns Tremblant and as far as I know still owns part of Whistler Blackcomb.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [ttmonkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To you and Captain Canada and other WTC haters..... Just curious here. Why the hate? is it because the WTC is the big kid on the block? You seem to love Challenge races, they aren't exactly a small company. Have you ever done a challenge race to know they are superior to WTC races? If so, I am curious on what makes them superior to a WTC race? Are wave starts really that important to you? Is it the cost? The price between difference is only $34 dollars between this and last year, with several WTC races cheaper than the $675 for next year. All the races in Europe are around $600 as well so... Is it the crowded WTC fields? because according to the Challenge website many of their races have 3000 competitors. Is it the SWAG bags? Are they that much better? Because if that is the main issue, give me $350, I will follow you around for 140.6 miles giving you nutrition, mechanic work on your bike etc.. and you will have $325 to spend on T shirts visors etc.. I just dont get all the hate. WTC sponsored IM races give thousands of dollars to communities they are in through the charity foundations, does Challenge do that? ( i really dont know I am just curious) I expect there will be several snarky answers back to this, but it is a serious question.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
Why? Seriuos question, I've only done 1 IM race and 3 independant one. the independants were every bit as nice as far as course and organization, but cheaper and smaller. Other than the size and cost of WTC races i had no issue with them.

So Challenge Canada will be about 700 and likely just as big (heck Roth is gigantic). What does Challenge bring to the table that WTC didn't (and I have nothing against Challenge what so ever, I just don't expect them to hand out Miatas instead of medals and have steak and caviar at the finish line.

I hear that the finishers swag is much nicer at Challenge events if anyone cares about that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
I think a good rule of thumb in PR is to never make an announcement unless you have good news. I am betting on IMWhistler at the moment given that intrawest owns Tremblant and as far as I know still owns part of Whistler Blackcomb.

That would be my bet as well. I vote for the ride to include the Mt Currie section.

edit: Just plotting it out roughly, Whistler to Pemberton to Squamish, and back to Whistler is ~183kms. (http://www.gmap-pedometer.com?r=5627682)

"The runner-up John Dunbar, a US Navy Seal, led after the second transition and had a chance to win but ran out of water on the marathon course; his support crew resorted to giving him beer instead." -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironman_Triathlon
Last edited by: otto: Aug 23, 12 14:04
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [ttmonkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ttmonkey wrote:
CaptainCanada wrote:
Try "fuckwtc2013" for the code ;)

BOOM there it is!
Registration opens Monday!

Registration opens Monday? What time? 12:00 p.m. PDT??? Anybody got one of the coupon codes and don't want to use? If so, please PM me!

;o)

Carlos
-----------------------------------------------------------
After 3 years, time to go long again. IM Canada 2013
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [RobAllen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RobAllen wrote:
The basics are:
Wave starts

Challenge Roth has a 15 hour time limit right? I assume CP will be the same...or maybe not. In Germany, how specifically do they integrate that with wave starts? Does every competitor get at least 15 hours? Last year at IMC there were 462 people over 15 hours but under 17. I'm fine with the tighter time limit if it turns out that way, but wondering how it is implemented.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [dcameron999] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am also interested to see what this means for volunteers. I'm in town to race this weekend. Do you think there is a chance some volunteers will bail? If the reason they were volunteering was to secure a spot? I volunteered last year to sign up for this year. I'm sure I wouldn't have gone back on my commitment, and I'm sure most folks won't. But maybe some?
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [sammie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sammie wrote:
I am also interested to see what this means for volunteers. I'm in town to race this weekend. Do you think there is a chance some volunteers will bail? If the reason they were volunteering was to secure a spot? I volunteered last year to sign up for this year. I'm sure I wouldn't have gone back on my commitment, and I'm sure most folks won't. But maybe some?

Hopefully nobody will bail. In olden times, most of the volunteers were locals or family members of participants, and there were plenty of them (for those field sizes anyway) - I wonder if the demographic has really shifted significantly to athletes seeking registration priority.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T shirt and a medal at the WTC race I did. Honstly unless they give out something really nice like a bike jersey it'll likely just sit in a drawer.

Still even if they gave out a beer stein and a jersey, is that enough for people to hate WTC and Love Challenge, plus all the predictions that this will do in WTC.

This reminds me of every thread that pops up when a new powermeter is realsed. We quickly hear comments of, Boy if this is more accurate and has a better interface, plus costs 2-300 dollars it will corner the market. Then the pice is released and its in line with every other PM.

Styrrell
Quote Reply

Prev Next