Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMC rumor [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
rhet0ric wrote:
The Challenge people made a mistake and posted their press release online before making the official 10am PT announcement. That's all.

Macca just retweeted a link. This horse is definitely out of the barn now...

--

Everyone needs to go to the lake at 10am to check out the display.........

It is on like Donkey Kong........

I wonder which ST'er predicted this quite some time ago?

----
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ultra-tri-guy wrote:
BLeP wrote:
rhet0ric wrote:
The Challenge people made a mistake and posted their press release online before making the official 10am PT announcement. That's all.

Macca just retweeted a link. This horse is definitely out of the barn now...

--

Everyone needs to go to the lake at 10am to check out the display.........

It is on like Donkey Kong........

I wonder which ST'er predicted this quite some time ago?

----

Are they advertising the Challenge race at an IM event? Awesome. I need a picture of this.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [dcameron999] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcameron999 wrote:
Will be interesting to see how you get a coupon code to register. I wonder if this year's volunteers will get a code? I hope so as I am volunteering this year.

Yeah, I'm in the same situation. Volunteering this weekend and was planning to sign up for IMC 2013.

I have no attachment to the Ironman brand. If anything I dislike it - the name, the bravado, the tattoos. I love the course in Penticton though and would be happy enter a well-organized race in a smaller field.

The only downside for me is that KQing was a goal for me - probably a longshot, but a goal nonetheless. Maybe I try for that at another IM event. Not sure yet. The WTC has a very clever setup with Kona qualification. It gives every competitive age grouper something to go for.

It would be nice if volunteering for IMC helped with either of those registrations.

Graham Barron Design: Custom west coast house design http://www.grahambarron.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dcameron999 wrote:
Will be interesting to see how you get a coupon code to register. I wonder if this year's volunteers will get a code? I hope so as I am volunteering this year.

How/why would you get a code from this year's organizers for next year's race under different ownership?

Seems a bit like McD's handing out coupons for BK...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try "fuckwtc2013" for the code ;)

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would be a good courtesy for those who travelled with the hope to register for next year. Helps keep volunteering up for next year as well. Similar gesture to what HITS did with their NY race after the sewage thing...

I hope volunteering won't take a hit this weekend or next year, with some feeling like there "isn't anything in it for them" without next day registration!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never said I was expecting WTC to give out codes. I was hoping that Challenge would be there and maybe make codes available to volunteers if they wanted to race in Challenge next year. I think that would be a good gesture from Challenge to get people to move from Ironman to Challenge.

It would be like a BK rep handing out BK coupons outside of a McD's. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
dcameron999 wrote:

How/why would you get a code from this year's organizers for next year's race under different ownership?

Seems a bit like McD's handing out coupons for BK...

I'd imagine the Challenge people would have a tent setup at the Bike Barn or another hotel close to the start and spread word to all the volunteers to head there after the race to register. Lock in as much revenue/participants as you can.

Brett Miller
Cydesdale Triathlon
M2 Revolution
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [deacon42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They're streaming the announcement on their website at the top of the hour: 10AM Pacific Time.

http://www.challenge-family.com/
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [FatteLatte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wave starts? Humm...
Last edited by: Sandbagging: Aug 23, 12 10:08
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [FatteLatte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm having trouble getting this to activate.....others?
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just politicians so far. Felix from Challenge is up now.

Brett Miller
Cydesdale Triathlon
M2 Revolution
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please for the love of everyone everywhere BRING BACK STEVE KING! Felix if you are reading this I will pay for his time all day long.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [Sandbagging] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sandbagging wrote:
wave starts? Humm...

I know - they work so poorly at every other event distance.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
listening to this now. Very cool.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [deacon42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is our story:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/..._announced_3011.html

To be updated.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
Here is our story:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/..._announced_3011.html

To be updated.

I'd be interested to know what happened? Did WTC give up? Did Penticton look elsewhere? Did Challenge scoop WTC while they tried to extend? Losing Ironman Canada is a big deal in my opinion. You can put a race on the same course but it won't be the same thing.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [Writerguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOVE IT!!!! see you next year.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
I'm having trouble getting this to activate.....others?

Windoze Media Player? You don't say. Who are the primitives at City of Penticton that chose this program? Sheesh!

"The runner-up John Dunbar, a US Navy Seal, led after the second transition and had a chance to win but ran out of water on the marathon course; his support crew resorted to giving him beer instead." -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironman_Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And the official race site:

http://www.challenge-penticton.com/
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing Penticton were facing a massive increase in fees to WTC and couldnt afford to pay it. I think I read they were paying Graham Fraser $50k this year. Biggest question for me is how many folks will race this? The draw of Kona is material to a maybe 20% of AGs so perhaps we see 2000 toe the line in 2013??

Swim - ( x ) All good ( ) In the shop
Bike - ( x ) All good ( ) In the shop
Run - ( ) All good ( x ) In the shop
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1. Is this a red flag for WTC? Will this change their focus in any way? Challenge touts "for the athletes." I don't know what this means.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
Try "fuckwtc2013" for the code ;)
BOOM there it is!
Registration opens Monday!
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [Alex M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Challenge Penticton is pleased to announce that the course Canadian athletes have grown to know and love will remain the same."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any word on the rumor of IMC moving to Kelowna?
Quote Reply

Prev Next