Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMC rumor [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NJSteve wrote:
I just hope Tickleberrys is involved.

X2 lol, and the Big Bear just past Keremeos (I've drunk a lot of water from their water pump on training rides)
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [Writerguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
where to start on this?

I will go straight to the finish line. A good idea.

I am back for my 5th IMC because I love this race for its course, the town and its residents, the wineries, the scenery, the weather. Taking away the radioactive glow of the M-dot will add to the experience.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
I am back for my 5th IMC because I love this race for its course, the town and its residents, the wineries, the scenery, the weather. Taking away the radioactive glow of the M-dot will add to the experience.

It's been a decade since I did my 4th but I'd also be pretty likely do a 5th if it really went mdot-less and therefore got less crowded, perhaps a bit less expensive, and retained the other attributes you mentioned. I like the idea of nobody fretting, whether legitimately or wishfully, about kona slots, and eliminating any spurious attraction to the logo (which of course attracted me at one time too, or so I thought, and I certainly don't begrudge anyone who is still enthralled by that specific aspect, but trust me, you'll get over it.)
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [Mr X] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr X wrote:
Unfortunate if true - IMC is IMC to me. To compare, MotoGP and World Superbike may race at the same tracks...

My 2 cents...

Pretty bad analogy. So much differences between MGP and Superbike: bikes, riders, rules, race schedule and -some could argue- rider ability.

Changing who organises a race changes nothing.
Same people can race, on the same bikes, on the same course. Only difference is who takes their money and what tattoo some of the participants wil get afterwards.

#######
My Blog
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [skip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also wonder if the elimination of the Kona slots would reduce the drafting. Right now, when Kona slots are at stake, otherwise honest guys see their Kona slots riding up the ride in a peleton and decide that those are the parameters for so called "success" and dive in.

With no Kona slots, I'd imagine that there would be a reduction in this type of behaviour, hopefully resulting in a better experience for everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't buy that one. Only a very small percentage of the participants are legitimately going for Kona slots. Given that the race is so late in the year it's likely even a smaller percentage than it is at earlier races. Just look at how many people get slots on rolldown every year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone please crack this case before I drive 5.5 hrs to sign up for next year for no reason. I am not ashamed to admit it, I just want to KQ 1x and I can be done with WTC races. I stick mostly to local / smaller races etc..., but they don't offer spots to Kona. I don't believe anyone who says that if given the chance, they would not love to race Kona, $700 or not.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [jhouckwsu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently there will be an official announcement made tomorrow. If I'm told anything earlier that won't be betraying any confidences, I'll report back.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
C'mon guys I thought that there would be some awesome,over-the-top rumours abounding here by now.You guys are letting me down...;-)

Beautiful sunny day here right now which is about the only thing that we can be sure of.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone asked how the local Penticton tattoo parlors feel about this? The loss of M-dot branding has got to be a huge dip in annual revenues for them.

"The runner-up John Dunbar, a US Navy Seal, led after the second transition and had a chance to win but ran out of water on the marathon course; his support crew resorted to giving him beer instead." -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironman_Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [otto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
otto wrote:
Has anyone asked how the local Penticton tattoo parlors feel about this? The loss of M-dot branding has got to be a huge dip in annual revenues for them.

Exactly! What the heck does a "Challenge Penticton" tattoo look like? ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today is the second day of the rest of your life if you started keeping track yesterday
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [RyanDay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RyanDay wrote:
I'm a little worried about what this means for registration, as I'm driving out there on Sunday to sign up for 2013. I want to race the venue, whatever it is next year.

post of the month

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [bobloblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bobloblaw wrote:
Don't buy that one. Only a very small percentage of the participants are legitimately going for Kona slots. Given that the race is so late in the year it's likely even a smaller percentage than it is at earlier races. Just look at how many people get slots on rolldown every year.

Doesn't your fourth sentence contradict your second one? If it rolls down so far, then more people by definition have a legitimate shot. Further, I think it would be difficult to overestimate the number of people who THINK they have a shot even though any rational analysis of the available data about them and/or the race would say otherwise. Anyway, I suspect Dev might be right, or maybe I just hope so. Sure, there are non-qualifying races that have plenty of drafting as well, but eliminating one of the triggers that might start packs forming in the first place can't hurt.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAlbertan wrote:
post of the month

I'm hoping no pink text missing. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [Cannonball] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cannonball wrote:
otto wrote:

I'd venture to say the maple leaf is by far the more important part of the existing design. But maybe I'm just saying that because the little ironman in mine looks kinda deformed, having been rendered by a stoned apprentice rather than the shop owner :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And the domain registrant is:

Administrative Contact:
City of Penticton
Kristin Wilkes (kristin.wilkes@penticton.ca)
+1.2504902499
Fax: +1.2504902402
171 Main St
Penticton, BC V2A5A9
CA

Could this be the very same Kristin Wilkes, IT Manager for the City of Penticton!

Farewell IMC, long live Challenge Penticton.

That said, I am never right!

Writerguy wrote:
For the tech geeks amongst us - you can draw your own conclusions:

http://who.godaddy.com/...&prog_id=GoDaddy

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kona slots have nothing to do with it. 2800 on course do with a hundreds if not close to 1,000 racers all coming out of water within 10 minutes of each other.

Kona race itself is brutal as half the race is exiting the water at same time. 1:00 to 1:10.

Best way to avoid the train is to swim faster; or much slower.

I will report back how it is Sunday next week but my experience over the years based on swimming 56-58min is the train comes by on hwy 97 into Oliver. Let it roll by, get on the back of it legally, ride past all of them on Richter's, have them pass on descent then never see them again once going by them on the rollers into the wind. Same every year I have done it. It has zero impact on my race if riding it in this way. By the time I have reached the out and back what was 30 riders is 5 or 6 tops.

I will say, one year an exception was a Japanese racer who won/maybe 2nd in AG rode right on back wheels all the way to Yellow Lake once the train came. Literally. Jumping from wheel to wheel. He was riding a Pinarello road bike so well prepared for his Indurain impersonation. After Yellow Lake the next time I saw him after laying into him for 60KMs with very well spoken F bombs was at 20KM into the run. Um, he ran by me like I was standing still on route to a sub 3hr marathon; second fastest I believe on the day! Next time I see him (BAM!) was when he sat next to me at the awards banquet after being on stage by complete fluke. The look on his face when getting photos taken with family said enough to me. I need not say another word to him. Priceless.

Anyway, looking forward to IMC 30th anniversary race whether last IMC or not. Love this race.

Whatever is announced, Challenge or another 5 year term (my bet) this town really gives it everything for us and I know for sure we all agree on that. Thank you Penticton.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [sub-3-dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sub-3-dad wrote:
Mr X wrote:
Unfortunate if true - IMC is IMC to me. To compare, MotoGP and World Superbike may race at the same tracks...

My 2 cents...

Pretty bad analogy. So much differences between MGP and Superbike: bikes, riders, rules, race schedule and -some could argue- rider ability.

Changing who organises a race changes nothing.
Same people can race, on the same bikes, on the same course. Only difference is who takes their money and what tattoo some of the participants wil get afterwards.

I really meant to say what Dev alluded to - the lack of Kona spots. While not obtainable by most it is still a challenge that exists and drives me to train harder. That said, I imagine Roth is the Kona of the Challenge world?

ItsAGoodLifeIfYouTriIt
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [Cannonball] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cannonball wrote:
otto wrote:

damn, this is what i was going to post/ask?

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [Jaymz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this one I assume:

http://www.linkedin.com/...in-wilkes/2b/903/a74

Jaymz wrote:
And the domain registrant is:

Administrative Contact:
City of Penticton
Kristin Wilkes (kristin.wilkes@penticton.ca)
+1.2504902499
Fax: +1.2504902402
171 Main St
Penticton, BC V2A5A9
CA

Could this be the very same Kristin Wilkes, IT Manager for the City of Penticton!

Farewell IMC, long live Challenge Penticton.

That said, I am never right!

Writerguy wrote:
For the tech geeks amongst us - you can draw your own conclusions:

ItsAGoodLifeIfYouTriIt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Updated 8/22...... still shows registration for next year open thurs / fri / mon..........................................................??????

Edit: 2 hrs later and there is now no registration on THurs and fri. Now its on Monday only.........

http://www.ironman.ca/schedule.php
Last edited by: jhouckwsu: Aug 22, 12 23:08
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [bmeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so if you spectate/sherpa next year you plan on getting one of those, eh

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [jhouckwsu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the rumours are true that will be registration for the 'new IMC on another course rumoured to be in Kelowna which is north of Pendicton.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [skip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
skip wrote:
bobloblaw wrote:

Doesn't your fourth sentence contradict your second one? If it rolls down so far, then more people by definition have a legitimate shot. Further, I think it would be difficult to overestimate the number of people who THINK they have a shot even though any rational analysis of the available data about them and/or the race would say otherwise. Anyway, I suspect Dev might be right, or maybe I just hope so. Sure, there are non-qualifying races that have plenty of drafting as well, but eliminating one of the triggers that might start packs forming in the first place can't hurt.

The point he was making was that the competition for kona slots was a part of the problem with draft packs. I guess it COULD work both ways - slower guys think they've got a shot at rolldown so they stick with a peloton where their conscience would kick in otherwise. But it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Most people have life commitments that make dropping everything and going to Kona so quickly after IMC problematic at the very least. If you really want to KQ you're picking CDA or another 'early' season race, so you can at least reset your training and have a proper build/peak.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a local Kelowna athlete, I am curious where they could possibly set up a good bike course.????
Quote Reply

Prev Next