Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMC rumor [Zulu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zulu wrote:
no debating that at all - as i said as a semi local (vancouver based who spends about a month a year in Penticton - i'd love to see Challenge here - it would be a great re fresher for the race
--

Yes,I agree but we have to convince the City of Penticton that the triathlonworld does not revolve around the bloody M-Dot.A vocal approval of another event from triathletes on forums like this will help them realise that a different event in Penticton will still bring in the numbers to benefit the local economy...All that is in progress right now.

---
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi!
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>Yes,I agree but we have to convince the City of Penticton that the triathlonworld does not revolve around the bloody M-Dot.A vocal approval of another event from triathletes on forums like this will help them realise that a different event in Penticton will still bring in the numbers to benefit the local economy...All that is in progress right now.

Absolutely!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ultra-tri-guy is ON it. Sad from a traditionalists perspective but change happens.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [Bike99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When is the announcement supposed to be?

AJ

-------------------------------------------------------
IM WC Hawaii 2024
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:
When is the announcement supposed to be?

--

Tomorrow....but I am quite sure that whatever is being announced will not be the end of the story.

---
Last edited by: Ultra-tri-guy: Aug 22, 12 11:32
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NJSteve wrote:
I just hope Tickleberry's is involved.

Word.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [Writerguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Further, challengepenticton.ca seems to redirect to challenge-penticton.com...

http://who.godaddy.com/...&prog_id=GoDaddy

Domain Name: challenge-penticton.com
Domain Name ACE: challenge-penticton.com
Domain Language:
Registrar ID: CORE-115 (Server Service GmbH)
Created On: 2012-08-09 05:20:46 GMT
Expiration Date: 2013-08-09 05:20:46 GMT
Registrant ID: COCO-10572604
Registrant Name: Felix Walchshoefer
Registrant Organization: Team Challenge GmbH
Registrant Street: Westring 40
Registrant City: Roth
Registrant State/Province:
Registrant Postal Code: 91154
Registrant Country: DE
Registrant Phone:
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax:
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: info@challenge-roth.de
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunate if true - IMC is IMC to me. To compare, MotoGP and World Superbike may race at the same tracks certain years but I follow a series versus a track. Nothing against Challenge but there's something special about Ironman (hence why some argue we overpay for addmission).

My 2 cents...

ItsAGoodLifeIfYouTriIt
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [Mr X] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a little worried about what this means for registration, as I'm driving out there on Sunday to sign up for 2013. I want to race the venue, whatever it is next year.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [RyanDay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RyanDay wrote:
I'm a little worried about what this means for registration, as I'm driving out there on Sunday to sign up for 2013. I want to race the venue, whatever it is next year.

---

You should find out tomorrow.

---
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [Mr X] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Roth became a better race once it cut away from Ironman. I think Challenge Penticton has HUGE potential.

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as i'd understood it, IM north america was a quasi-separate entity from WTC - it was graham who owned/ran it, although it did license the M-dot brand.

can anyone clarify?

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paulo Sousa wrote:
Roth became a better race once it cut away from Ironman. I think Challenge Penticton has HUGE potential.

----

I totally agree Paulo and an Ironman distance race of 1,500 with a half of 700'ish on the same day would fit the bill here...That and a additional few events during the week.

--
Last edited by: Ultra-tri-guy: Aug 22, 12 12:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ultra-tri-guy wrote:
Zulu wrote:
no debating that at all - as i said as a semi local (vancouver based who spends about a month a year in Penticton - i'd love to see Challenge here - it would be a great re fresher for the race

--

Yes,I agree but we have to convince the City of Penticton that the triathlonworld does not revolve around the bloody M-Dot.A vocal approval of another event from triathletes on forums like this will help them realise that a different event in Penticton will still bring in the numbers to benefit the local economy...All that is in progress right now.

---
____

Nick, I respect your opinion , but the triathlon world does indeed revolve a lot around the bloody MDOT. ST always gets the WTC haters out .... but they don't enter their races anyway ... those of us who do are fine with the VALUE we get from WTC even though we pay more. I wouldn't come back to Penticton for a replacement race (I've been there many times) ... and I suspect many of us who travel outside of Canada would be absent. Penticton would lose a lot and it would become much more of a local flavor race .... many would like that I'm sure .. but the dollars for Penticton would be gone. I think Penticton will make a better business decision in the end and little will change .... but indeed we'll see. I hate to say this, but most of us could care less what pros come to any race ... except Kona.

Dave :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...darn...and I just signed up for IM Tremblant 2013. I am assuming if it goes the Challenge route, we'll get wave starts like in Roth. Then I'd be totally into Challenge Penticton (why did they not just register it as "Challenge Canada"). I also wonder what the race date would be? Same traditional weekend?

So now there will be a Challenge Penticton, and potentially an IMC in Kelowna?
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
as i'd understood it, IM north america was a quasi-separate entity from WTC - it was graham who owned/ran it, although it did license the M-dot brand.

can anyone clarify?

-mike

----

You are correct,Graham bought Ironman Canada in the mid '90's and took on the business of running an Ironman licenced event.He then formed North America Sports and opened up the US to his Ironman series which WTC never had operational control of.NAS was always his business but IMC was never part of the "package" which WTC eventually bought(I will not go into the specific's of that sale).He held on to IMC for his own reasons but now it seems he has had enough and is walking away with two years left on his contract with the city.(again not going to go into specifics).

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did my first Challenge race a couple weeks ago (Copenhagen). The organization was every bit as good as IM and in many ways better (e.g. tools, pumps, & flat repair items at every bike aid station). I don't know what they do to get the community to support the race but they really outdid themselves (200K spectators for the run course). Part of the reason I am willing to spend $500+ for a race is that I want to be sure that the RDs have taken care of the details (volunteers, aid stations, patrolled intersections) and that costs money. If Challenge can do it cheaper without sacrificing quality, then I'm all for it. Maybe a bit of competition in North America will encourage WTC to step up their game. As it stands, there is little incentive for them to improve their product. I don't hate WTC (I loved IM Sweden and thinking of IM Switzerland next year) but I want them to work to get my $$.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [dcsxtri10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcsxtri10 wrote:
Nick, I respect your opinion , but the triathlon world does indeed revolve a lot around the bloody MDOT. ST always gets the WTC haters out .... but they don't enter their races anyway ... those of us who do are fine with the VALUE we get from WTC even though we pay more. I wouldn't come back to Penticton for a replacement race (I've been there many times) ... and I suspect many of us who travel outside of Canada would be absent. Penticton would lose a lot and it would become much more of a local flavor race .... many would like that I'm sure .. but the dollars for Penticton would be gone. I think Penticton will make a better business decision in the end and little will change .... but indeed we'll see. I hate to say this, but most of us could care less what pros come to any race ... except Kona.

I think this could really revitalize the race and move it back to the grassroots 'community' type race that gave it such charm. I feel like that's been lost a little. Not to be too offensive to anyone, but maybe losing those participants for whom it's more about the brand than the experience... will improve the experience for everyone else.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [fasterisbetter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fasterisbetter wrote:
The city can issue or not issue permits to anyone for a race. If Penticton thinks the WTC is a bunch of greedy weasels, and they don't want to work with them, then they won't permit them. If Penticton likes the WTC and thinks that they can turn the race into a huge deal and bring in big revenue for the city, then they will probably work with them and issue the permits. If Challenge and Felix are their choice, they will permit a race that way.

Finally, Though Graham has been the RD for IMC for a long time, that doesn't mean that he necessarily owned the event. He may be relinquishing the rights to the IMC name, and relinquishing any rights to hold a race named IMC to WTC, but that doesn't necessarily mean he owns the race and is relinquishing that to WTC.

It will be interesting to see. I think WTC is charging too much for their races, but that's a consensus of 1...

I'd make that at least 2, and judging from all the other WTC bitch threads there's many more...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BTW - I won't make it up there this year. First time in 7 years I haven't done a Penticton visit. So bummed I won't get a chance to see you and the other cool people.

I'm glad I got IMC in when I did. It would suck if the race went away for some reason.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [RandyS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't mean to hijack this thread :)

I also did Copenhagen and will do Sweden next year. Can you tell your impressions of the two? Which bike course is faster? Which swim is colder? Differences in the run?

Quote | Reply
bobloblaw wrote:
dcsxtri10 wrote:

I think this could really revitalize the race and move it back to the grassroots 'community' type race that gave it such charm. I feel like that's been lost a little. Not to be too offensive to anyone, but maybe losing those participants for whom it's more about the brand than the experience... will improve the experience for everyone else.

Indeed. I loved IMC, but pretty much written off ever doing it again due to the cost and crowding. If those were cut back significantly, that'd be a huge improvement IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
bobloblaw wrote:
dcsxtri10 wrote:

Indeed. I loved IMC, but pretty much written off ever doing it again due to the cost and crowding. If those were cut back significantly, that'd be a huge improvement IMO.

I did IMC 6x and after 2008 wrote it off due to crowding/peletons down to Richter...I kind of joked that they magically created Ironman Florida replica from Penticton to Osoyoos and that I would not go back until they had waves to create better separation. I think if Challenge comes on board, we can have that.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
...darn...and I just signed up for IM Tremblant 2013. I am assuming if it goes the Challenge route, we'll get wave starts like in Roth. Then I'd be totally into Challenge Penticton (why did they not just register it as "Challenge Canada"). I also wonder what the race date would be? Same traditional weekend?

So now there will be a Challenge Penticton, and potentially an IMC in Kelowna?

I just did the same thing...I think it is a good way to hedge the bet though. If you didn't register for IMMT though you could be screwed and have to take a charity spot to do an iron distance next summer. If the challenge thing works out at a much lower fee ( than IM) then you could pull the plug on IMMT and do Penticton for a total cost still less than a WTC chartiy spot. If they move the date of penticton could get the best of both...
If IMC goes to Kelowna, might want to take a pass for a year and see how it goes.
Quote Reply

Prev Next