Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IMC rumor
Quote | Reply
So I've heard from a fairly reliable source that next year we'll be looking at Challenge Penticton.
Could change the game. $400 entry fees - huge purses for the pros.
Will N. Americans do it - or will they stay away in droves as they have other attempts to compete with the WTC?

Let me repeat - this is NOT 100% reliable info!!
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [Writerguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Writerguy wrote:
So I've heard from a fairly reliable source that next year we'll be looking at Challenge Penticton.
Will N. Americans do it - or will they stay away in droves as they have other attempts to compete with the WTC?

If it's a rumour about IMC it should probably be spelled rumour.

Douchy Canadian spelling lesson over.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't want to confuse my American friends.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that would be a good thing if it were true. Not so much because I'm anti-WTC (I'm not really), but because it is a shame to see a race like IMC get P-1000 points and a $25k prize purse like the race has no history or importance.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be happy to do either/both. With travel, lodging & training costs, $200 difference is basically in noise - as scary as that thought is.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [ZackC.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to agree with you on that. Sad to see one of the flagship races relegated down like that.
Though I have to go on record as saying I really have come to appreciate the tier system now in place.
These 1000 pnt races give the entry level pro a chance to get into the sport without going broke to race.
At least they can break even. I know many will disagree with me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One would think that in order for this to have already been decided the City of Penticton would have already figured out what to do about the ongoing contract with the current race AND have Felix from Challenge come over to Penticton,check out the course AND then negotiate a new contract AND find some locals to run the new event..AND...AND....AND...AND......most of that has not happened.

It is exactly what some people here would like to have happen though.

--
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The current contract expires at midnight on Sunday, I'm told.
Whether Felix is in Penticton or not I couldn't say.
Maybe I'll jet him an email and see if I get an "out of office" reply! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Writerguy wrote:

Doesn't WTC own the rights to this race though? Would they be selling the rights to Challenge? That wouldn't seem to make sense.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Writerguy wrote:
The current contract expires at midnight on Sunday, I'm told.
Whether Felix is in Penticton or not I couldn't say.
Maybe I'll jet him an email and see if I get an "out of office" reply! :)

----

You will find out tomorrow....There will be balloons involved.

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Writerguy wrote:

Doesn't WTC own the rights to this race though? Would they be selling the rights to Challenge? That wouldn't seem to make sense.
---

WTC owns the Ironman name and has no control over who hosts a race in Penticton.The City of Penticton decides who it allows to host a race here..

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the tech geeks amongst us - you can draw your own conclusions:

http://who.godaddy.com/...&prog_id=GoDaddy

http://who.godaddy.com/...&prog_id=GoDaddy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like balloons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ultra-tri-guy wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Writerguy wrote:

---

WTC owns the Ironman name and has no control over who hosts a race in Penticton.The City of Penticton decides who it allows to host a race here..

--

Maybe I am just confused.

What does this mean? Anything?

On Tuesday, city council received a letter from Graham Fraser, who has held the licence for the race since 1996, saying that he was relinquishing control of the Penticton race to the World Triathlon Corporation.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. Nice work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The city can issue or not issue permits to anyone for a race. If Penticton thinks the WTC is a bunch of greedy weasels, and they don't want to work with them, then they won't permit them. If Penticton likes the WTC and thinks that they can turn the race into a huge deal and bring in big revenue for the city, then they will probably work with them and issue the permits. If Challenge and Felix are their choice, they will permit a race that way.

Finally, Though Graham has been the RD for IMC for a long time, that doesn't mean that he necessarily owned the event. He may be relinquishing the rights to the IMC name, and relinquishing any rights to hold a race named IMC to WTC, but that doesn't necessarily mean he owns the race and is relinquishing that to WTC.

It will be interesting to see. I think WTC is charging too much for their races, but that's a consensus of 1...
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [fasterisbetter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If this is the case then Penticton really should seriously consider bringing in Challenge. WTC is treating this race as a third class citizen.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to pile on but I've heard/seen IM Canada possibly moving to Kelowna. Anyone else?

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ShawnF wrote:
Not to pile on but I've heard/seen IM Canada possibly moving to Kelowna. Anyone else?

----

Lot's of funny rumours and that one ranks right up there...

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...another rumor is it would be a 70.3 next year though i have a hard time seeing this - due to it's proximity to Kona it seldom attracts a great pro field however it always attracts a great AG field and is an icon on the circuit....i'd love to see it go to Challenge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Writerguy wrote:
For the tech geeks amongst us - you can draw your own conclusions

Holy crap CSI ST has gotten good
Last edited by: ChrisM: Aug 22, 12 11:05
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [Zulu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zulu wrote:
...another rumor is it would be a 70.3 next year though i have a hard time seeing this - due to it's proximity to Kona it seldom attracts a great pro field however it always attracts a great AG field and is an icon on the circuit....i'd love to see it go to Challenge
--

The factors that decide who runs the race and under what banner will have very little to do with the sport of triathlon and everything to do with what is good for the City of Penticton.

--
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Writerguy wrote:
For the tech geeks amongst us - you can draw your own conclusions

Holy crap CSI ST has gotten good

Nah, just the right people knowing the right people.

It would be great if the rumor was true!!

Hiya WriterGuy!!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just hope Tickleberry's is involved.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no debating that at all - as i said as a semi local (vancouver based who spends about a month a year in Penticton - i'd love to see Challenge here - it would be a great re fresher for the race
Quote Reply

Prev Next