Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
what are those swedes on?
Quote | Reply
there seem to be a ton of age groupers riding sub 4:45 bike splits at IM Sweden
http://ironman.com/...r=2012#axzz23u4dSuHQ

I'm thinking the course must be short, or they have kindly provided moto pacing? or maybe there is something besides macaroni at the pasta party. or ironmanlive tracking is wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: what are those swedes on? [amagangan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
certainly flat and cool temps, but maybe a bit short... i'd love to do this race because that area is gorgeous, but they need to get a real bike course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you ever ridden with Bjorn, and i hear there are 100's of AG'ers faster than him..(-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The uber fast Sami Inkinen who only trains mid-teens hours a week rocked a 4:27:27 on the bike!

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: what are those swedes on? [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
The uber fast Sami Inkinen who only trains mid-teens hours a week rocked a 4:27:27 on the bike!

Hugh

yeah Sami's bike split does not surprise me, I think he is a sub 9 guy on a normal day. but it looks like we have 7 sub 9s in M35-39!
Last edited by: amagangan: Aug 18, 12 7:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
plus several sub 3 hour runs... wow these guys are on fire

looks like it may just be a talented field.. 4th place in 35-39 Jamie Cascio is a 9:15 Kona guy. 4th place and that's with a 2:56 marathon!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That must be some course, just looked at my age group and the winner went 10:03, which isn't fast until you consider he's 60. Jeez!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think there's any such thing as a European course that isn't short. We see fast times over and over again in Europe yet when those same competitors compete on U.S. courses their times are slower. IMO most fast European times, especially in this case when it comes to multiple fast age groupers, is directly related to a short course.
Quote Reply
Re: what are those swedes on? [Bryan0721] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryan0721 wrote:
I don't think there's any such thing as a European course that isn't short. We see fast times over and over again in Europe yet when those same competitors compete on U.S. courses their times are slower. IMO most fast European times, especially in this case when it comes to multiple fast age groupers, is directly related to a short course.

See? Yet another reason to switch to the metric system.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Garmin Edge 500 shows 177.0 kilometers. I did IM Lanzarote in may which was 177.6 km.

The Kalmar bike course is very flat and there was hardly any wind at all today. Unfortunatly I saw alot of drafting today from AG'ers, not too thrilled about that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They make great goggle too.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: what are those swedes on? [Kristoffer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is around 109 miles.
Quote Reply
Re: what are those swedes on? [kdlsch111] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kdlsch111 wrote:

If only his Garmin was set in miles we could know for sure how many miles that was.

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Re: what are those swedes on? [kdlsch111] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kdlsch111 wrote:

Closer to 110 but short none the less.

------------------------------
"Unless you have a ... GF who might put out that night and that night only ... skip it and race." - AndyPants 3-15-2007
Quote Reply
Re: what are those swedes on? [Kristoffer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kristoffer wrote:
Unfortunatly I saw alot of drafting today from AG'ers, not too thrilled about that.

Drafting! At an Ironman! I'm shocked!

------------------------------
"Unless you have a ... GF who might put out that night and that night only ... skip it and race." - AndyPants 3-15-2007
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The course was fast, very flat so you pedaled the entire time, which makes for a good average speed. It was as Kristoffer said about 3k short ( according to my Garmin and regular bike computer). For some reason the marshals allowed a lot of drafting ( coming from friends who have done other IM races and also Jonas Colting, who should know). Even first women was on the wheel of a 20-30 person peloton. But the conditions were also extremely good, 20C and no sun.
The run was ok I think.
Last edited by: earnstrom: Aug 18, 12 21:26
Quote Reply
Re: what are those swedes on? [Bryan0721] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryan0721 wrote:

What a cosmopolitan, educated, and thoughtful response.
I should feel sorry for you that you never got to race abroad and see how you actually perform in a foreign country.

You would win every race abroad, if you would actually go, wouldn't you?
Right now, most of the time, you can't even win in Hawaii.
Quote Reply
Re: what are those swedes on? [earnstrom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
earnstrom wrote:
The course was fast, very flat so you pedaled the entire time, which makes for a good average speed. It was as Kristoffer said about 3k short ( according to my Garmin and regular bike computer). For some reason the marshals allowed a lot of drafting ( coming from friends who have done other IM races and also Jonas Colting, who should know). Even first women was on the wheel of a 20-30 person peloton. But the conditions were also extremely good, 20C and no sun.
The run was ok I think.

cool - thanks for the inside view and congrats on your race. it seems like the drafting is the main reason for the great bike splits, but even so, some very fast run times too!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i raced kalmar yesterday.the bike course measured 111 miles on my computer.the weather was perfect for fast times.i did a pb by 12 minutes.there was no wind and i saw no drafting. the road surfaces where fantastically smooth the best surfaces i have ever raced on. only 3 people in the penalty box when i went passed.the swim course on the other hand i think was longer and the run course was about spot on.the local support was amazing the most enjoyable ironman i have raced.fantastic place beautiful friendly people.
Quote Reply
Re: what are those swedes on? [dsm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello, I also raced in Kalmar this past weekend and it was my first Ironman. The conditions were perfect although it rained a little bit and it was pretty windy on the bridge coming back from the island. My bike computer gave 180km on the dot. I think that even if it was 179 or something at most that only represents a difference of maybe 2 minutes on the bike time. According to my friend's Garmin, the run was also 42.2. The support was incredible. Everywhere on the bike and run there were excited people cheering.

I saw a little bit of drafting which was annoying (at some points you could tell that it was definitely intentional as opposed to just mistakenly riding too close and not thinking about it) but these people aren't winning the race.. they're cheating so they can tell their friends they got 10 minutes faster (or whatever) than otherwise.. so I guess who cares? I agree that it's frustrating to see though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
amagangan wrote:
earnstrom wrote:
The run was ok I think.

cool - thanks for the inside view and congrats on your race. it seems like the drafting is the main reason for the great bike splits, but even so, some very fast run times too!

Drafting on the bike on a flat course will help run splits a lot too. I was out on the course at a few spots and it didn't look good with regards to drafting and I didn't see many people not riding in tightly spaced groups. Of course when almost everyone gets a new "pr" most people are happy and no one will ever admit it was because of drafting or a short course. It was a fantastic event in many ways but a bit sad to see fair play is so far down on the priority list for many athletes. In a lot of cases drafting is probably saving as much time as doping or cutting the run course by 5km or more and yet it's an almost completely accepted race strategy these days..

BA coaching http://www.bjornandersson.se
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"what are those swedes on?"

Sounds to me that they're on their bikes...a lot!

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: what are those swedes on? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pooling Europeans together like that is really stupid. Come to Scandinavia and see how these people live. I work in Denmark which is pretty close and everyone cycles! I have 50+ year old women I work with who cycle 20+km a day as a commute, not on carbon stalions but heavy beasts and they shift. They have a totally different culture to exercise, they live for out door sport, cycling, running etc etc. Every town has a 50m pool (well a lot do anyway). You take 100 avg yanks or brits (i bunch these together now as we tend to be just as fat as each other these days..) and race them against the avg Swede or Dane and I know who would win. Im not talking athletes im talking avg person but it does mean that they have a very healthy pool of people to start with

http://longwaytogo-ironman.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: what are those swedes on? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
"what are those swedes on?"

Sounds to me that they're on their bikes...a lot!

jaretj

touché !
Quote Reply
Re: what are those swedes on? [johanandbex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johanandbex wrote:
Pooling Europeans together like that is really stupid. Come to Scandinavia and see how these people live. I work in Denmark which is pretty close and everyone cycles! I have 50+ year old women I work with who cycle 20+km a day as a commute, not on carbon stalions but heavy beasts and they shift. They have a totally different culture to exercise, they live for out door sport, cycling, running etc etc. Every town has a 50m pool (well a lot do anyway). You take 100 avg yanks or brits (i bunch these together now as we tend to be just as fat as each other these days..) and race them against the avg Swede or Dane and I know who would win. Im not talking athletes im talking avg person but it does mean that they have a very healthy pool of people to start with

I suppose it also helps that they take most of summer off, with 18 hours of sunlight or whatever per day, meaning the average can spend some focused training time in the months before the race. On the downside I have no idea how they survive those dark winters
Quote Reply

Prev Next