Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [TriClyde74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just had the same exsperience. Did you get it figured out? Thnx
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [fastskiguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fastskiguy wrote:
Wow, like 747 posts and if it was mentioned, I missed it (sorry) but...

Waterbottle on the seat tube or not? Which is faster?

I think it was all of those bottles in the TdF prologue that got me a'thinkin'....

For longer distances, I basically set my Shiv up the same as Crowie last year. No cage on the down tube. One zip tied to the seat and one zip tied to the aero bars. And the hydration system of course. Got me through a hot Eagleman race with just one water grab to refill. So hot half IM = 24oz (front - Sustained Energy / Hammergel combo) +24oz (back - Heed) + 22oz (Shiv hydration system - Water) + 20oz? at water stop. Went through most of it. I reloaded the Shiv hydration system from both the back bottle and the water stop bottle.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [jesse@thr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Looking for some help to determine the correct sized Shiv. I'm 1.88m (6'2") and tested an XL Shiv at my LBS but it felt absolutely massive. I've just had a Retul bike fit on my road bike but don't really know how to convert these figures into the correct size for a TT bike, so apologies in advance if this has been covered elsewhere...

Saddle height 786mm
Saddle setback -72mm
Frame stack 591mm
Frame reach 404mm
Handlebar reach 549mm
Handlebar drop -63mm
Grip reach 699mm
Grip drop -14mm
BB to Grip reach 627mm
Handlebar stack 677mm
Handlebar reach 477mm
Thigh length 433mm / 454mm
Shin length 430mm / 436mm

Given these sizes which would be the best sized Shiv to order in?

Thanks in advance for your help!

http://www.drgironman.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone had the small magnet pop off the fuselage casing when trying to fill the fuselage on a ride? This happened on my first ride with the magnet never to be seen again...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to figure out the best option to carry all my stuff on my new shiv..
I want a rear mount bottle behind the seat, a can of pit stop and a spare tube and some co2 maybe a multitool if i have room.
Also I'll be getting a bottle between the aero bars.

I've no idea what carriers will work for all this stuff (Was looking at xlab stuff) so can anyone help? I've got a cobb shc saddle if that makes any difference.
I was thinking the torpedo mount, tire bag and a delta wing but don't know how the bag will fit with that or if I should get a super wing

yeah we don't have any stores here so I cant go and have a look to see how it'll all work so I want to just order it all online in one hit

say what you will about carrying too much but I don't care.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Blatant] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cut open a Specialized Virtue aero bottle for your flat kit. Search my posts, I'll have pics up in a few in response to the same question on another thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark, any ETA on a speed box or integrated storage options for the Shiv? I heard that you guys were working on some cool aftermarket parts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are there any plans to release additional nosecone stem sizes for the carbon bars? I use a really rearward cleat mount, meaning I need to lower the seat and bars significantly, and even with the bars slammed, it isn't nearly long enough or low enough to get comfortable. I realize I could get an aftermarket stem and bar, but I really like the feel of this cockpit. Something adjustable out to maybe 120mm with a significant negative rise would probably benefit a lot of people who can't get low enough in the front.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Rasmus1310] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Rasmus1310,

You did a beautiful job setting up your S-Works Shiv, very clean and fast. Would you mind sharing more details? Frame size, saddle height, pad-drop, height of AB extension risers and brand of AB extensions? I'm trying to get a feel for what mine would look like.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [bbenitezn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey guys, first time posting, I'm a triathlete in Santa Barbara and am buying the Shiv Expert in October. I love the shiv and have test ridden one, but I would like a lower profile on mine when racing, what should I change to achieve this? I'm also considering buying straight areo bars vs the j-shape that come with the shiv, opinions?
any criticism or advise is appreciated, thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [kplymire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just bought mine - Expert - last Friday. Despite being 5' 10 1/2" I had to get the Small in order to get low enough and had to swap the stem (comes with a 90mm) to a 110mm. Specialized's sizing guide with the reach and pad height parameters showed that the small would work and that the medium would be a little too big, which I found to be very accurate. I rode the Medium-sized Di2 model in Arizona back in January when I was there for the Rock-N-Roll Marathon and it felt huge for a medium. I was fairly certain the Small would work but wanted to be sure so I found and rode one before making the purchase.

I put on a 3T stem since it was a -17 degree and helped with getting lower; no Specialized stems in stock, which have a shim that allows for ~ the same angle). As you can guess, no spacers at all. If doing a full IM I may add a few spacers for a little more comfort over the long haul, but that may not even be necessary. First ride was 65 miles with the only tweak being pushing the extensions out 1.5cm. Subsequent rides have shown the new fit to be ideal.

As for the extensions, I'm coming from S-bends, which look really cool, to the J-shape that comes with the bike. Though not as picture worthy, I find them to be more comfortable, and throwing a bottle up in-between them has it sitting right in back of my hands, which might be just a tad more aero (just guessing here). So I say try it out as built before swapping them out. It's free and the swap can always take place later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Mark ...

Question regarding the little "nut holder" in the frame for the blader opening. It appears to be pressed or glued onto the carbon and with switching between bladder and the closing cap the little nut holder has started to twist preventing you from taking the nut out (well in case the cap would be on) .. Luckily i noticed it when i had the bladder in and could hold it in place with tweezers when removing the bold. Now a friend of mine is having the exact same issue .. For me it now means i can't put the cap back on .. Cause i would not be able to take the bold out any more. Is this issue know at Specialized ?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [uscfroadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uscfroadie wrote:
As for the extensions, I'm coming from S-bends, which look really cool, to the J-shape that comes with the bike. Though not as picture worthy, I find them to be more comfortable, and throwing a bottle up in-between them has it sitting right in back of my hands, which might be just a tad more aero (just guessing here). So I say try it out as built before swapping them out. It's free and the swap can always take place later.

Totally agree that S-bends look cool but once your hands are in 'em J-shapes look pretty much the same. Anatomically, it makes sense that the J-shape is more comfortable. Check out this article that compares hand position of various extensions. http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/features/sbend.shtml
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Horchata] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope. S-bends are more comfortable for me. They allow more hand positions too. With ski bends you grab the bend and that's pretty much it. With s-bends you can also rotate your hands around the bends in a number of ways. Sometimes I like to sit my palms flat on top of the bends and dangle my fingers over the ends. Quite comfy on the long straight stretches. You cannot do that with ski bends.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Philosoraptor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is everyone using for a bento box on the Shiv? Any recommendations for using with the bladder and/or without the bladder? I usually tape gels to my top tube, but would like to carry some small snacks for longer stretches in a bento...also, one that has enough velcro to get around the downtube? DO you just buy extra velcro extenders? Appreciate any advice!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [tazunemono] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tazunemono wrote:
What is everyone using for a bento box on the Shiv? Any recommendations for using with the bladder and/or without the bladder? I usually tape gels to my top tube, but would like to carry some small snacks for longer stretches in a bento...also, one that has enough velcro to get around the downtube? DO you just buy extra velcro extenders? Appreciate any advice!

Jersey/race suit pocket?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [tazunemono] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tazunemono wrote:
What is everyone using for a bento box on the Shiv? Any recommendations for using with the bladder and/or without the bladder? Appreciate any advice!

A bunch of athletes are using this, the Speedpack 483, on their Shivs (more details about the pack's features are here). And, yes, the 483 is compatible with the Shiv's hydration bladder. If desired, the pack can even be mounted over part of bladder's frame cap/opening. We also have a few early reviews of the 483 on our feedback page here. But if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [rivaryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regarding the upgrade to Quarq power meter, which magnet do you used with a Shiv Tri Pro?

Thanks! I really like this bike!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [quickguru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not using any magnets with my Shiv's fuelselage. Instead I purchased a Camelbak TubeDirector which is an insulated sleeve with a wire in it and I have it installed so that the bite valve just touches my right cheek while I'm in the aero bars. I tilt my head slightly and can drink without changing my aero position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rivaryans wrote:
I'm not using any magnets with my Shiv's fuelselage. Instead I purchased a Camelbak TubeDirector which is an insulated sleeve with a wire in it and I have it installed so that the bite valve just touches my right cheek while I'm in the aero bars. I tilt my head slightly and can drink without changing my aero position.

Cool idea. I have the Camelbak TubeDirector from my adventure racing days - I'll give it a shot. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CAnderson_SBC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any clearance issues running a Zipp Sub-9 rear on the new shiv ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Mark-

Looking at a SHIV. Are they going to 11 speed in 2013? Also, The Pro Ui2- does it come with the climber shift like Di2. Was at a dealer and they could not find this info. Thanks

Darren

Team Every Man Jack

http://www.teamemj.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rivaryans wrote:

Great idea. Did you replace the entire drinking tube or just mate the two tubes together? I find the magnet set up to be annoying so will pick up this idea for my set up. I have a shiv expert.

I also find the down tube bottle really hard to reach so I am thinking of going to a torpedo set up and putting my tool kit on the down tube. Anyone else had the same experience?

Cheers
Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [dmounts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dmounts wrote:
Hey Mark-

Looking at a SHIV. Are they going to 11 speed in 2013? Also, The Pro Ui2- does it come with the climber shift like Di2. Was at a dealer and they could not find this info. Thanks

Darren

Any feedback?

Is specialized going exclusive with Shimano for 2013? Was on a dealer page and we did not see any SRAM equipped bikes for 2013. Also, noticed that yuo are sticking with DA 7900. Why not 9000?

Team Every Man Jack

http://www.teamemj.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [mmamster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mmamster wrote:
rivaryans wrote:

Great idea. Did you replace the entire drinking tube or just mate the two tubes together? I find the magnet set up to be annoying so will pick up this idea for my set up. I have a shiv expert.

I also find the down tube bottle really hard to reach so I am thinking of going to a torpedo set up and putting my tool kit on the down tube. Anyone else had the same experience?

Cheers
Mark

I have answered my own question. I bought a TubeDirector yesterday for $24 and was able to replace the original drinking tube with it. It is slightly smaller diamater tube than the original but the tube material can be heat moulded without much trouble to fit on to the tube mount on the fuelselage bag. I just used a butane ligter to soften it. Because the tube is a narrower diameter it is easier to drink from. The wire in the insulated sleeve is about 1 mm across so it is quite rigid once bent to the shape you want.
Quote Reply

Prev Next