Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin soft strap and chafing
Quote | Reply
Used Garmins for years, old style strap. Just got the new soft strap and really like the feel, but on my long runs it is rubbing me raw. I use body glide, but that hasn't helped. It is rubbing me where the plastic makes contact with the skin.

Anyone else? Solutions or suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin soft strap and chafing [surfnrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suggest that you grow a sack.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin soft strap and chafing [bhobbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Valid question, stupid answer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have the second part right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same issue, but no solution.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes the garmin soft strap gave me skin issues. Deep chaffing, slow to heal open sores at contact points. I have sensitivities to some latex/polystyrene products, and the reaction I had to the soft plastic on the garmin strap was typical of that sensitivity for me. I have switched back to the old style heart rate strap.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin soft strap and chafing [riptide] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same exact issues, no solution as of yet.

@Tridigest @Charlesabrahams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same issues when I switched to the new strap. After about 6 weeks or so it stopped happening. I guess I just toughened up a bit.

------------------------------
"Unless you have a ... GF who might put out that night and that night only ... skip it and race." - AndyPants 3-15-2007
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You probably tried this, but I had success loosening the strap a little. It seemed counter intuitive but it helped.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same problem, and even have a lovely "Garmin scar" where it rubs against me. I think it's actually the edge of the soft strap, not the plastic part, that's rubbing. I find that it chafes more when the strap needs to be washed, so start with that. The salt build up makes it less flexible. Also try rotating it on your body. If you switch it so the sensor is on your back you should still be able to get a heart rate reading.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you lube the contact points before strapping it on? I just use spit. I, too, recently switched to the soft strap and have not had issues. Longest run so far has been 8 miles with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin soft strap and chafing [BernardDogs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same issue; got the chafing only at the lower right corner of the transmitter, and couldn't tell if it was from the strap or the edge of the transmitter. Bodyglide has worked for me (up to 15 miles anyway), and "fortunately", I still have the scar so I know right where to apply it....

I rinse the strap every time now.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin soft strap and chafing [joe_77_atx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joe_77_atx wrote:
You probably tried this, but I had success loosening the strap a little. It seemed counter intuitive but it helped.

Counter intuitive indeed, but it seemed to work, thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a small bandaid, and place it lengthwise around the bottom-half of the strap nearest the transmitter pod (overlapping the transmitter pod and the soft-strap itself). The battery should thus cover the edge of the strap for about 1-2" in length.

This has solved it for both myself and my wife. Otherwise, depending on factors I don't yet understand, I get the same thing from time to time (not all the times, just sometimes). This fixes it instantly. Weird, I know.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never had any chafing, but had the Garmin soft strap not work very well at times so swapped it for my wife's old Polar strap. Zero issues with the polar strap from a comfort or performance issue. You may find the Polar strap more comfortable.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin soft strap and chafing [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ray,

Can you post a picture? Or is there one on your site? I have the same issue. Haven't worn my strap for a few weeks now hoping the scar heals a bit before next weeks IM.

Tom
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin soft strap and chafing [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone tried the Bontrager ANT+ heart rate strap?

I was hoping for two things from the Bontrager one:
1) No Chafing
2) Normal HR reading with no more drifting to 215+ when walking.

Anyone, Anyone, Bueller, Bueller?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I came up with a simple solution using a piece of Mouse Pad. See the pictures here: http://tinyurl.com/fix-chafing

Last edited by: ottosen: Sep 11, 12 11:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had chafing issues as well, right under the transmitter. Body glide has pretty much solved the problem. For very long efforts I've also used a band-aid over the spot where the skin is rubbed. That worked also.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin soft strap and chafing [helo guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The polar rep sent me a Polar soft strap...problem solved.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also have had the same experience with no real solution to offer. Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently switched to a Polar strap since I was having connection issues with the Garmin. I know have more chafing. Maybe I need to loosen it up.

Do you have any issues with the Garmin transmitter staying snapped into the Polar strap? One side of my transmitter pops out of the snap on its own. I'm not sure if it is a compatibility issue, or a defect in the Polar snap. Any experience? Right now I have one end of the transmitter held into the snap with a few wraps of electrical tape. Thinking this might be some of the chafing issue. Trying to decide before I go back to a Garmin strap.

Tim Anderson
"It's the nature of the internets that you get some dweeb who knows nothing about (insert topic here) pontificates about (topic), believing that his/her opinion is worth the same as opinions from those who actually knows what's going on." --Echappist
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surfnrun wrote:
Used Garmins for years, old style strap. Just got the new soft strap and really like the feel, but on my long runs it is rubbing me raw. I use body glide, but that hasn't helped. It is rubbing me where the plastic makes contact with the skin.

I just posted on this topic a few days ago! http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=4157893#4157893

I used to never get chafing from the soft strap but two months ago it started chafing at the bottom where of the soft strap. I couldn't figure out what it was and I ordered a new strap because I thought the old one was dirty. Well, the new one causes the same issue as well.

I think I figured it out though. I used to wear the straps on my upper abs but lately I've been wearing it much higher on my lower chest. If you where it on your upper abs, I think it will fix the chafing issue. I haven't had a chance to try this theory yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surfnrun wrote:

Weird, body glide solves the problem for me.

Re: Garmin soft strap and chafing [elecengrman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just successfully put my 910XT HR on my 310XT strap - work just like it did on the 310XT and no chaffing...

ItsAGoodLifeIfYouTriIt
Quote Reply