Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM training after a breakup

So my boyfriend and I broke up this weekend, and I haven't gotten out of bed in 2 days. In addition to the crippling depression I'm feeling, I have no motivation whatsoever to continue training for my IM. I'm at 3 days off already.

Any advice or words of wisdom? A good old' HTFU is fine also.

PS if anyone needs a cute female roommate for IMFL, hit me up.

Re: IM training after a breakup [iJen0311] [ In reply to ]

I never liked him anyway!

"If we could give every individual the right amount of nourishment and exercise, not too little and not too much, we would have found the safest way to health"
- Hippocrates, 460-370 BC

Why did I get remarried?? WHY????

Did I just say that out loud? Sorry. Just start running. The rest will take care of itself. Seriously.

Take care,

Brian

Swim. Bike. Run. Repeat as necessary.
Welcome to the Church of Briantriology!

iJen0311 wrote:
So my boyfriend and I broke up this weekend, and I haven't gotten out of bed in 2 days. In addition to the crippling depression I'm feeling, I have no motivation whatsoever to continue training for my IM. I'm at 3 days off already.

He was a man-bitch. You're better off anyway. When you ride pretend you're stomping on his face. When you run pretend you are chasing him with a clever to separate him from his man berries. And when you swim pretend you're the creature from the black lagoon and are about to eat him.

Alternatively, just HTFU. training will get your mind on other things and be good for you anyway. You had a life aside from your relationship before this. Pick that back up and go with it.

Um... you're FREE, you're FREE...lol...

Seriously, sorry to hear about the breakup, that always sucks, but you're now free to channel that energy accordingly, without guilt. IM training, especially near the end, is remarkable for clearing the mind... take advantage.

I split with my ex-wife in 2007, I was already training for IMFL. The emotional rollercoaster fueled my training, but I only had one speed - all out. Every workout was go until I puked... I wouldn't suggest that, nor using copious amounts of beer as a recovery drink like I did... I got injured, but still managed to PR by 46 min!

Don't let the emotions you're feeling (very short term, I assure you) about "failing" at the relationship derail you from another goal and cause you to "fail" that one, too... IM is all you, and the breakup can't take that away from you, only you can let it go...

Re: IM training after a breakup [snoots] [ In reply to ]

At the very least, after a few days of not eating either, I'll be at race weight soon.

iJen0311 wrote:

Um, pics please?

But seriously... For me, a hard run or ride has always been good therapy for personal demons. Just channel whatever turmoil you're feeling into athletic aggression and burn away. I've had such workouts that went way beyond what I'd normally feel like I was able to do, even compared to some race PRs.

You have 13 weeks to get really fast!

Sorry to hear about that. However, the best way to get over someone is to get on top of someone else. You'd be surprised at the movitation you'll get by getting a new lover. :-)

I would take full advantage of your IM training. Jump into local short races and tris--you are bound to meet another likeminded person and the former BF will become a distant memory

leslie myers
http://www.foodsensenow.com

Re: IM training after a breakup [tribritre] [ In reply to ]

Boys are like running shoes, they are only good for 350 miles. Just throw them out and get another.

No advice, but due to knee tendonitis I too have been fighting to regain motivation. So if misery loves company, you have some. I cannot run! I will be dropping out of IMFL soon. That means canceling my condo rental too. Bummer.

http://www.EpixGear.com

Ah, this is tough, I feel bad for you :(.

Here's my advice.

Let yourself wallow and be sad for one week. 7 days. Watch TV, eat (or don't eat) and just don't do much.

On that last day, plan a big workout. Just get out and force yourself to do it. Make it a big one that you'll be proud to accomplish. Don't let anything stop you.

BOOM! Depression broken, you took a rest week and you did something that gives you a nice sense of accomplishment.

Realize that if you're training for an IM, you're a catch! Act like it!

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast

You ll be fine. Why would you let the actions or behaviors of others dictate how you behave or act. Your an Ironman. We are people of will and determination and we are not the people that stay in bed for days depressed.

Go out and get an beer or drink and you ll meet some good guys. It is that simple.

---------------------------------
Hold my Beer and watch this!

Re: IM training after a breakup [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]

Realize that if you're training for an IM, you're a catch! Act like it![/quote]

+100 for that

iJen0311 wrote:

Doesn't anyone else sense a troll here?

1) Go out with your friends 1 night this week say Thursday and forget about your Ironman and get drop down drunk, dance and do what you do.
2) On Friday morning STOP feeling sorry for yourself; cause that is what you are doing.
3) Reset the switch and refocus and use this breakup as motivation to crush IMFL
5) Crush IMFL and post a pic on facebook/twitter etc..
6) Make old boyfriend jealous with photos of you finishing IMFL.....

Since there aren't that many cute female triathletes out there you have an advantage.

Re: IM training after a breakup [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]

sinkinswimmer wrote:
iJen0311 wrote:

Just throwing in some humor. It's been an awful past few days.

HTFU, and this is a good time for pointless kinky sex with hot triathletes (hint hint).

Remember, boys don't make you who you are. You make you who you are.

Re: IM training after a breakup [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]

No

Then I can add my sage fatherly advice...this too shall pass. There will come a time when today will seem insignificant. Enjoy your training, and Ironman. And good luck.

I was overweight or obese, mostly obese, the first 31 years of my life. Over the last three years I've lost 112 lbs. For the first time in my life I've found a physical side to me. When I get stressed out I get out of my mind and into my body. It is the greatest feeling ever and I feel so grateful I have a body I escape to when life gets to me.
Last edited by: GatorDeb: Aug 7, 12 10:19

Re: IM training after a breakup [GatorDeb] [ In reply to ]

That's really cool, GatorDeb.

Ob la di, Ob la da (well, you know the rest)

I'm assuming that, since you signed up for an IM, you might actually enjoy training. And racing. And not sucking in either. Don't let this jerk of an ex (another assumption) ruin other things that are good in your life.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/

Now you have one less person asking you what a brick is.

Prev Next