Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw a custom stem that was build for a bike running a TriRig Omega with internal cabling and has a built in mount for the Garmin as well. Anyone on here? It is on a Cervelo road bike running the Omega upfront.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [secondchancepro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This doesn't work so well.

The screw head doesn't allow the Garmin to properly snap and lock into place. The screw head sits too tall.
any ideas?
Last edited by: Peter Mann: Jul 15, 12 4:30
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [Peter Mann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only threaded option that springs to mind is using a flat head screw. That will require you to modify the mount with a countersink so the flat head will sit flush. The thickness of the screw once "sunk" may also require a spacer/washer underneath to prevent it from bottoming out.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [wasfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can drill a small indent into the Garmin computer itself (Garmin 500, not sure about other models) for the small screw head to fit into. I've done it with no problem. just be careful not to drill too deep.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [PaintIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For my tri-bike, I just use one of those old-style Garmin quick-release mounts (the kind that uses zip-ties instead of elastic bands) on top of one of those little knob doo-dads you can attach to your aerobars. Like this

Didn't need to make anything and the little knob attachment only cost a few bucks.

For a road bike, however, I'd probably go with the K-edge if you could get it.
Last edited by: JoeO: Jul 17, 12 20:07
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [notAswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My LBS finally got the K-Edge in stock. It's a really nice piece, and the slider really allows it to fit the Edge 500 nicely. However, it sits way low on the bars, at the bottom edge:

Also, the locking mechanism is tight. Really tight. Tight enough I'm afraid it's going to snap off the bottom of the Edge 500 when I take it off, like others have experienced (http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=3140886). It actually left black marks on the bottom of the unit:

I guess I'm not too concerned about the bottom of the Edge 500 snapping off, because between Garmin and K-Edge, I assume one of them would help me out if the unit did break. However, the really low angle does bug me a bit. For $50, I wish it had the full range of adjustment that we can get with the
DIY Bontrager mount.

Oh well. It's a solid piece though... should work great on my 'cross bike, as it's certainly not falling off anytime soon!

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [notAswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a few k-edge mounts. Was way too tight on my 500 units. I did call garmin to ask them if I could purchase additional cases and they said no, not even for service issues. Also they told me that if you use another mount that it would likely break the mounting tabs on the case. I k-edge is too tight and if you remove it after every ride as I do with mine then you will be purchasing additional computers in the near future. I like the flush plastic mounts from Garmin. They work great and are the sacrificial piece.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [So-Awesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Folks might want to try Martyn Harris at http://www.racewaredirect.co.uk/ because he has a version similar to the Barfly but better priced (IMHO) and he can modify things so that you can fit your 500 between bars with tight extensions. The road version is very stiff while the custom TT version is flexible enough that you push up on it a bit to engage the 500 and then when you let go it sits nicely between the bars (though admittedly will vibrate on very rough grounds). No problems and I think I paid about $35 shipped.

TT bike version:

Road bike version:

Regards.

So-Awesome wrote:
I bought a few k-edge mounts. Was way too tight on my 500 units. I did call garmin to ask them if I could purchase additional cases and they said no, not even for service issues. Also they told me that if you use another mount that it would likely break the mounting tabs on the case. I k-edge is too tight and if you remove it after every ride as I do with mine then you will be purchasing additional computers in the near future. I like the flush plastic mounts from Garmin. They work great and are the sacrificial piece.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [xntrickly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have one of those and my Garmin looked like a wet noodle! The K-edge is alot better but I prefer the custom one I built for my Road Bike.

xntrickly wrote:
Folks might want to try Martyn Harris at http://www.racewaredirect.co.uk/ because he has a version similar to the Barfly but better priced (IMHO) and he can modify things so that you can fit your 500 between bars with tight extensions. The road version is very stiff while the custom TT version is flexible enough that you push up on it a bit to engage the 500 and then when you let go it sits nicely between the bars (though admittedly will vibrate on very rough grounds). No problems and I think I paid about $35 shipped.

TT bike version:

Road bike version:

Regards.

So-Awesome wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 for Racewaredirect. Tt extension version works perfectly.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Garmin 500 custom mount [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PVC pipe (painted black), cut to fit, holes drilled for zip ties. Pretty simple and perfect position.

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [So-Awesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a race ware mount both time trial and road. The road version has been updated to be made stiffer. The current versions of both are excellent. Worth the money.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does the TT version mount perpendicular to the aerobars, so that the Garmin sits parallel to the bars?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [Ironma'am] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes it does.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [michael_runs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the same thing on both of my TT bikes. =]

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ouch! $45 to the US.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Weight: 13,3 gram

Now it must be tested in the near future.

It is designed only for 3T Team stem and others stems who have the bolt width of 28mm.

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [Tillquist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mount looks great. Would be nice to anodize it black.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [nws alpine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nws alpine wrote:
Mount looks great. Would be nice to anodize it black.

It Well be..... :-)

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks great Morten. If there were a way to create a hinge between the stem bolts to make the width adjustable (like a pair of binoculars) that would be great.

Anyway, while waiting for the Tillquist mount to be available, I made this.....

It's made from Delrin and has steel tubing running through the bolt holes for strength. It uses the original Garmin mount attached with smaller o'rings. It's a little bit heavier than the Tillquist, but works great- very sturdy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine has come up with his own mounts. I'm posting these for him. They are for sale, but I don't want to post a link since the admins frown on that sort of thing. You can PM me for more info.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [nws alpine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Machine time total = 16 hours...

More picture here

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Last edited by: Tillquist: Aug 16, 12 11:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another great looking piece! So... any chance you are going to start riding with Ritchie WCS 4-Axis stems, make a pile of custom mounts, and have a few left over to give away???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What bars are they ur usin do u have a link
Quote Reply

Prev Next