Prev Next
Re: Could you beat phelps, 200M free [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes...but only if there are no turns.
Quote Reply
Re: Could you beat phelps, 200M free [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAlbertan wrote:
Current wetsuits are not optimized for the higher speed in the pool that are on the starts and turns...

Ya, I think if you used fins alone that would be better. At that kind of speed you'd be super high in the water anyway so the wetsuit would be of no use. Now maybe one of those Jaked speed-suits might be the ticket, like the one you wanted to wear in your last 1500m Masters race:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Could you beat phelps, 200M free [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could *maybe* hang with him the first 100m in fins and a body suit. My kick is the strongest part of my stroke. In scy swam the 100 in like a 47 mid or 48 with fins in practice one day. The turns hurt tremendously for sure. My legs are stronger now, so a fast suit, fins, and good start might get me to 100m with him.

I'm 5'6 though...gigantic disadvantage in the water.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back in the day I went a 55.5 (or so) 100 long course meters butterfly with fins and paddles. Freestyle wouldn't have been a lot faster so that only puts me at a 1:50 for the 200 - still 5 seconds behind. I think I would be slower with the wetsuit because of the difficulty doing a fast turn or start. Of course this is with standard Speedo fins... large diving fins or a monofin might give me that little boost needed.

For those using there short course yard times to compare - his 1:45 long course meters coverts to 1:32 short course yards.....

I am a lot slower today but still out of the water top 1% - so I think it is relatively unlikely anyone from ST can do that - and yes I am including the odd pro that hangs around here.

For those using there short course yard times to compare - his 1:45 long course meters coverts to 1:32 short course yards.....

I liked the Shaq vs Phelps episode. I know it was carefully staged but it was entertaining.

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed... jaked is way faster than a tri wettie at high speeds.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Could you beat phelps, 200M free [ZackC.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZackC. wrote:
I could *maybe* hang with him the first 100m in fins and a body suit. My kick is the strongest part of my stroke. In scy swam the 100 in like a 47 mid or 48 with fins in practice one day. The turns hurt tremendously for sure. My legs are stronger now, so a fast suit, fins, and good start might get me to 100m with him.

I'm 5'6 though...gigantic disadvantage in the water.

True to some degree but Eric Vendt is only 5'7" and won the silver twice in the 400 IM; in '00 he was 2nd to Tom Dolan with Curtis Myden of Canada (teammate of realAlbertan) in 3rd, and in '04 he was 2nd to Phelps with Laslo Cseh in 3rd. Cseh finished 9th in 400 IM heats last Saturday but he's seeded 2nd in the 200 IM going into tomorrow's final. He's another guy who could push MP and/or RL out if a medal if they are not 100% on.

In any case, going 47 or 48 for 100 SCY is pretty impressive in practice, even with fins.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know a certain 16 year old girl who can.............
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking fins would just equal out my kick propulsion. After that, I would still need the longer arms, gigantic hands, perfect technique, and ridiculous swim fitness that he has. So no.

-Bryan Journey
Travel Blog | Training Blog | Facebook Page
Quote Reply
Re: Could you beat phelps, 200M free [Jackb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackb wrote:

Actually I doubt it since Ye "only" split a 1:57 on the 800 relay, don't think fins and a speed-suit are going to buy her 15 seconds in a 200 LCM.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The days of short folks winning are over. If we went head to head, I would be over a foot behind Phelps or Lochte or Grevers the instant we unfold off the blocks, simply because their reach is that much larger. Last I looks no man under 6'0 owned a WR in swimming lcm.

Swimming in my hometown is ridiculously competitive. Ricky Berens went to a rival high school. My team *only* had D1-caliber swimmers on it.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Jackb wrote:

Actually I doubt it since Ye "only" split a 1:57 on the 800 relay, don't think fins and a speed-suit are going to buy her 15 seconds in a 200 LCM.

Ya, you are right, she can only beat Lochte and not Phelps
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vendt is listed as 5'11 btw...

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZackC. wrote:
The days of short folks winning are over. If we went head to head, I would be over a foot behind Phelps or Lochte or Grevers the instant we unfold off the blocks, simply because their reach is that much larger. Last I looks no man under 6'0 owned a WR in swimming lcm.

In general you're right but breaststrokers can be the exception. Kitajumi is only 5'10' according to wiki; know that's > 5'6" but look on the bright side, you're more aero on the bike and lighter on the run, all things being equal:)

Swimming in my hometown is ridiculously competitive. Ricky Berens went to a rival high school. My team *only* had D1-caliber swimmers on it.

Did you swim in Austin or Dallas or???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Charlotte/Huntersville, NC.

Ricky and Tim Berens both swam for South Mecklenburg HS where their mom coached the team. Guys from my team went on to swim at UNC, NCSU, Stanford, USNA/USMA, etc. I believe I was a freshman when Ricky was a Senior. Swimming is huge here in NC. All of the rich schools have great teams.

I train in the same pool as the Team Elite guys from Swim Mac, and I've even gotten to swim with a few of them at my neighborhood pool. The swimming culture around here is huge.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZackC. wrote:
The days of short folks winning are over.

Damn, I thought Park was shorter but he's 6'0" apparently.

(I see what you did there)

Always cheered for him & Kitajima...gave us "little guys" (5'10") hope.

Order seems to have been restored at this meet tho :(

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZackC. wrote:
Charlotte/Huntersville, NC.

Ricky and Tim Berens both swam for South Mecklenburg HS where their mom coached the team. Guys from my team went on to swim at UNC, NCSU, Stanford, USNA/USMA, etc. I believe I was a freshman when Ricky was a Senior. Swimming is huge here in NC. All of the rich schools have great teams.

I train in the same pool as the Team Elite guys from Swim Mac, and I've even gotten to swim with a few of them at my neighborhood pool. The swimming culture around here is huge.

Hmm, didn't realize swimming was so big in NC; I'm just across the mtns from you in Knoxville, TN. Swimming is moderately big here with Pilot Swim Club boasting 5 or 6 Trials swimmers this year. Davis Tarwater and Claire Donahue on the current team are Pilot alumni. Also of course, U. of TN has a good team most yrs, but not quite at the Stanford/Auburn/TX level. SwimMAC is big-time though with Cullen Jones, etc.

Quote Reply
Re: Could you beat phelps, 200M free [Pete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pete wrote:
ZackC. wrote:
The days of short folks winning are over.

Damn, I thought Park was shorter but he's 6'0" apparently.

(I see what you did there)

Always cheered for him & Kitajima...gave us "little guys" (5'10") hope.

Order seems to have been restored at this meet tho :(

According to Wiki back in '08, and I remember looking him up cause he was so skinny, Park was 5'9" and 130 lbs in 2008 when he won the 400 free and was 2nd to MP in 200 free. So, either Wiki was wrong or he's grown 3" and gained 30 lbs in past 4 yrs, which is possible since at present he's only 22, so was only 18 in '08. Still, it appears that a very skinny, 5'9" guy did win the 400 free in 3:41.86 just 4 yrs ago.

Also, I'm just giving this input FYI. I don't really have a "dog in this fight" since I'm about 6'2" and 175.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah. It is huge. At the predominantly white schools swimming gets as much attention as basketball or football when the school is doing particularly well. The big high school conference here actually turns out tons of college prospects in all of the country club sports.

Back to swimming though....Cullen, Brendan Hansen, Nick Thoman and a couple of girls whose names escape me all train here. MAC brought something like 40 swimmers to Trials this year. Granted, there were some kids that barely got their trials cut in HS included in that number, but lots of really solid competition as well.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course I would beat him! Kick him, punch him, bitch slap him, whatever it takes to get the upper hand!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZackC. wrote:
Oh yeah. It is huge. At the predominantly white schools swimming gets as much attention as basketball or football when the school is doing particularly well. The big high school conference here actually turns out tons of college prospects in all of the country club sports.

Back to swimming though....Cullen, Brendan Hansen, Nick Thoman and a couple of girls whose names escape me all train here. MAC brought something like 40 swimmers to Trials this year. Granted, there were some kids that barely got their trials cut in HS included in that number, but lots of really solid competition as well.

For sure, 40 to the Trials is huge and Cullen, Hansen, and Thoman have all won at least one medal so far, with another prob to come on the medley relay. IMO, anyone who qualifies for the Trials is an outstanding swimmer.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another interesting question would be "If the pool was 25m, would he lap you in a 200m race?". For most people the answer would be yes.

Quote | Reply
ZackC. wrote:
Vendt is listed as 5'11 btw...

Ya, just checked Wiki and you're right. Stupid on my part, I was quoting from someone's post on ST:)

Quote Reply
Re: Could you beat phelps, 200M free [AJHull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wait so you're saying if someone had to only do 25m and phelps 200, phelps would beat them? You would literally have to be a paraplegic kickboarding with your tiny nubs to lose that one.

As for the original poster... no, I couldn't...

oh wait, I don't have fins or paddles so that makes it that much harder..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
His feet are bigger than my fins

http://www.bobswims.com/

"If you didn't swallow water in your last open water race, you weren't racing"
Quote Reply
Re: Could you beat phelps, 200M free [AJHull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AJHull wrote:
Another interesting question would be "If the pool was 25m, would he lap you in a 200m race?". For most people the answer would be yes.

Since MP could go 1:40 in 25m pool, he could prob lap a lot of people twice in a race w/o fins or other aids, some people even three times:) To not get lapped at all, you'd have to go under 2:13 for the 200 SCM or about 2:00 flat for 200 SCY, which is very fast in the tri world. Just "respectable" in swimming world, IMO, but very fast in tri-world.

Quote Reply

Prev Next