Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Chinese Carbon Wheels?
Quote | Reply
Has anyone purchased Chinese no-name carbon wheels? Are they worth it or should I just go for the name brand wheels?

http://www.ebay.ca/...;hash=item19d1cb7216

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [ClarkieCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've seen them, and have heard reviews from people who bought them. The build quality seems mixed. Some are good, just slap some Zipp stickers on the side and nobody will know the difference. Other wheels like these like to breakdown and split where parts of the rim are bonded together.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an 80mm front CC. I was impressed when I got it, and still am. Brake pads that come with it are a little iffy, but the wheel works great and looks great. Have hit some large holes with it and it feels fine, which is decidedly non scientific.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it worth the risk? Seems not to me, cycling is dangerous enough already.

ClarkieCanada wrote:
Has anyone purchased Chinese no-name carbon wheels? Are they worth it or should I just go for the name brand wheels?

http://www.ebay.ca/...;hash=item19d1cb7216

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [Quinner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As you said, cycling is dangerous but I don't see why these rims are more of a risk day to day. They are a bigger risk because of warranty replacement but I have been using my 88 mm rim all year with zero issues. Granted I had my LBS build it up but from all of the threads I have read there may have been 1-2 issues with the rim, and I think both of those were people melting the rims on descents. If you get them already built, spin them to make sure they are true or take them to your LBS and have them look at them, but only you can decide if they're worth it. They were worth it for me because I did not have $700+ to spend on a rear wheel so I got the Chinese one for like 250.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a set of 88s for about a year and half. Bought them from http://www.yishunstefano.com/

Haven't had any issues except for a local bike shop getting upset when I took them in for truing "they have tight spokes, and one broke".
Nothing since then. Would totally buy again. Have about 500 miles on them, mostly used for racing.
Last edited by: gusano: Aug 1, 12 11:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a set of 60mm for 6 months. I really like the rims, but have broken two nipples, I weigh over 200. easily fixed and will change all them out if another one breaks with brass. They are light and roll great and the price was right. I ride them 150-200 miles a week.

Swimming is Tracking, Torque, Traction and Timing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you can check out this link from an earlier thread last week about carbon wheel comparisons with velonews testing. One of the options was psimet, a generic Chinese wheel set ~$1k and they tested very well for the money.
http://www.enve.com/...2.pdf?20120626022821

I know you can find cheaper options for almost half that. I had a quote a couple weeks ago for a set of 60 front 88 rear for $520 shipped. These were on alibaba.

Anyone remember what they paid for their generic wheels. Is $500-600 shipped the going rate for a generic carbon set?

thanks
Barry

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [Barry S.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eta: I paid $550 shipped for the 88's.

I had a set of 50mm carbon clinchers that I rode to a PR at IMAZ last year. No problems with them at all. Sold them and bought a set of 88's at the beginning of the year and they are just as nice. I only race on them (or ride the trainer) but they have been rock solid. Of course I'm not going to be bombing hills and riding the brakes on them (what usually causes the stories you hear about delam issues) but I wouldn't be doing that on any carbon clinchers.

Last edited by: undertheradar: Aug 1, 12 13:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Insane to consider purchasing a component that if it fails, can cause you extensive harm or death.

yes, 90% might be OK, but what if you get one of the 10% that might break down while taking a corner at 30 miles an hour...........and if it breaks.....are you going to call the chinese manufacturer to get a new set?

screw that!!! my life is worth more than a set of cheapie wheels
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [enrique] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
enrique wrote:
Insane to consider purchasing a component that if it fails, can cause you extensive harm or death.

So you've never bought tires for your car before?! We buy stuff every day that "if it fails" can harm or kill us. I don't understand the gross exaggeration. The vast majority of people haven't had any issue with these wheels (and that's my experience with the 50mm carbon clinchers I purchased from Taiwan as well) and of course there are examples of name brand, high dollar wheels failing (Mavid R-Sys wheels ring a bell)? I think the key is to purchase through a reputable manufacturer/distributor who has a track record of making a quality product regardless of the logo on the side of the wheel.

Fred

Last edited by: sailnfast: Aug 1, 12 14:31
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [sailnfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i apologize, it should read......insane to buy chinese shit.....doubtful quality.....if it fails i can die.....prefer to buy from a company that i know makes quality products
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
enrique wrote:
i apologize, it should read......insane to buy chinese shit.....doubtful quality.....if it fails i can die.....prefer to buy from a company that i know makes quality products

like mavic?

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there ya go!!! good luck buying chinese!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
will do, along with the thousands of others who use them on a daily basis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
enrique wrote:

Almost every part of your bicycle is Chinese!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And when the part gets to be 16 years old, it inexplicably gets faster! (there was a bad joke in there somewhere)

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not buy flo?
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not that they are chinese, even if they were Swiss made I would want to know that they were from a reputable source that has quality control.

Sweeney wrote:
enrique wrote:

Almost every part of your bicycle is Chinese!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have not purchased the chinese wheels but I have noticed that others I ride with have had minor wheel failures from all the major brands. Never a total failure which resulted in an accident causing harm but all failures that stopped one from riding them. I have some new Easton wheels and they have developed horizontal cracks around a handfull of the nipples/spokes. I still ride them but don't haul butt down a hill (+35mph). I really don't like the braking surface on them either. I also have some Reynolds wheels, super nice, they feel great and I love them. They also have minor cracks in them.
So even the higher end 3,000-5,500 wheels have issues too! They both are being covered under warranty :)
I weight 158-162#
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
Why not buy flo?

Limited production capacity and very small purchase windows. I don't believe the myriad of Chinese carbon wheel sellers are similarly constrained. I'm not bitching as I plan to try the FLO lottery shortly to get in line for wheels. Just stating facts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i bought some tubulars and they seem to be a nice enough wheel. I had to drill the valve holes a little bigger and the first time I used the rear it pinged a lot and needed some truing when I was done. They seem to be entirely machine built. The spokes are bladed and they use a lot of spoke prep so they tend to wind up when tightened, so I had to hold them with a crescent wrench and take my time. After that the wheel is straight and works fine. It only has 24 spokes so I notice when I use it in road races it tends to flex a lot against the brakes when I go hard. I opened the brakes up a lot and it solved that. I mostly use them for duathlons and intend to use them for cross. the hubs are crap I'm sure but overall they seems like nice enough wheels. I would not use them much for road racing, at least not the rear it's kind of flimsy for my 175#.

I'm not sure if I'd buy anyone's carbon clincher wheels, there seems to be issues with failures from extended braking, but maybe that's another topic.
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [tkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And grows huge hands and feet

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get your head out of the sand mate!! Just about everything is manufactured in China these days. They are taking what they have learned from foreign corporations setting up their manufacturing plants in china to save money and maximise profits (whilst still charging us the full whack). So they start their own factories and sell the stuff to us at a more reasonable price. Instead of spending $4k on zipps and lining their pockets spend $500 on chinese wheels and invest the other $3500 in your local economy!
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [Potter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I only ride chinese carbon clinchers and tubulars. I have a pair of 88s and 50 clinchers that have served me well for thousands of miles. I recently bought some 24mm tubular carbon rims off ebay and built up a pair of 1050 gram tubulars. So far so good. I couldn't be happier.
Quote Reply

Prev Next