Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP

Some of you had to have seen him sprint out of the water towards transition right behind Potts. He was adament about having swam two laps. The officials just let him go, then pulled his chip on the bike and told him to have a nice day. Does anyone know this guy?????

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [Jeff Spicoli] [ In reply to ]

omg hahahaha watching thread...

-Jason

I had a friend cheering people on the climb out of town and she called me to say "some non-pro came up the hill WAY ahead of any other age groupers and he didn't look like a pro, or someone, who is capable of swimming really fast times"

She added " i'll bet he swam one loop".

bummer if he just can't count. On the other hand wouldn't you say to yourself..."i wonder why I'm the only one in the transition tent?"

Forget Finman...we've got "Loopy the Age Groupie"

What probably happened: They did two loops but they cut part of the course. Alot of times this is an accident, though you would think they would realize that they didn't just beat Andy Potts by 7 minutes. At Cap Tex Tri this year I cut over before the last buoy. I was flagged down by a wave runner and had to swim back. I really never would have known had I not been flagged down.

I have no idea if this was an intentional move, but really I am willing to give benefit of the doubt. Though you would think the guy would have realized that 38 minute swim was impossible.

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]

Maybe he was thinking 2 laps: Lap 1, swim out. Lap 2, swim back. 2 Laps / Loops.... (oh, not this argument again).

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [bx3] [ In reply to ]

bx3 wrote:
Maybe he was thinking 2 laps: Lap 1, swim out. Lap 2, swim back. 2 Laps / Loops.... (oh, not this argument again).

Bravo! This is true. In a pool a lap is two lengths, so in a lake 2 loops is 1 loop.

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [bx3] [ In reply to ]

That's gold!

i was a stripper yesterday and they tried to stop him several times, in fact one of the other strippers got in front of him and he kept on running, they sent two volunteers after him as well as calling and radioing to T1 but he was long gone. He had to try to avoid the cattle heard of swimmers moving on to lap two as well as the volunteers blocking the path up the beach...

Please tell me he was in purple - please. Please.....lie to me.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

I did IMLP in 2010 and thought I remember getting out of the water and crossing a timing mat before heading out for lap 2?

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [cthornburg] [ In reply to ]

cthornburg wrote:
I did IMLP in 2010 and thought I remember getting out of the water and crossing a timing mat before heading out for lap 2?

Yes you did and the split from each lap is recorded.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.

I was there with a couple other folks, right along the fencing just past the beach. That guy came down the chute like he was shot out of a cannon. I'd speculate that he had "more urgent matters" to tend to, but as I understand it he actually proceeded through T1, bypassing the bank of immaculate port-a-loos.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [burnman] [ In reply to ]

I was taking pictures in the first 0.25mi of the bike. He was 4th at that point... Potts, Jacobs, Guillaume, and this 53M. Checking his # to name, he did IMLP the last 2 years... 2010: 12:51 and 2011: 11:44. Don't know how he couldn't have realized that something wasn't right. Crazy.

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [ridgerd] [ In reply to ]

Don't waste your time trying to look up his swim time for last year

In a pool a lap is ONE length.

Team Every Man Jack

http://www.teamemj.com

ajthomas wrote:
What probably happened: They did two loops but they cut part of the course. Alot of times this is an accident, though you would think they would realize that they didn't just beat Andy Potts by 7 minutes. At Cap Tex Tri this year I cut over before the last buoy. I was flagged down by a wave runner and had to swim back. I really never would have known had I not been flagged down.

I have no idea if this was an intentional move, but really I am willing to give benefit of the doubt. Though you would think the guy would have realized that 38 minute swim was impossible.

I don't think this is a possibility, because it would mean that he is still a pretty fast swimmer. By suggesting this, it would mean he did his first lap for 30 minutes and then cut the second lap and did 8 minutes ~ means he could still do a fast first lap. You can change it in any mix of variables but the point is, he couldn't have done a lap and then cut the second lap and ended up with a 38 minute time.

Besides there were a lot of kayakers out there and it would have been blatantly obvious if he cut the second lap and just swam acrross.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...

ridgerd wrote:
I was taking pictures in the first 0.25mi of the bike. He was 4th at that point... Potts, Jacobs, Guillaume, and this 53M. Checking his # to name, he did IMLP the last 2 years... 2010: 12:51 and 2011: 11:44. Don't know how he couldn't have realized that something wasn't right. Crazy.

There is always one in a crowd eh! Maybe when people think cheating a course is the same as taking PEDs (cheating) they wouldn't pull this shit....wait, oh never mind.

BTW: i assume he didn't have fins on? LOL!

@rhyspencer

S
ridgerd wrote:

So he is getting faster every year:)

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [gregn] [ In reply to ]

gregn wrote:
Don't waste your time trying to look up his swim time for last year

Huh? Waste time? This is slowtwitch where people live to waste inordinate amounts of time to ferret out the most minute or obscure details of other people’s screw-ups.

Still - this story has the potential to be hillarious. Maybe not FinMan funny, or Kona course cutter cathartic, but still pretty funny.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [dmounts] [ In reply to ]

dmounts wrote:
In a pool a lap is ONE length.

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [LSUfan4444] [ In reply to ]

Nope, stop this now. No repeats, learn from history. Move along....

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]

Actually, I was suprised how crowded it got up the middle of the IMLP swim. It could have been very easy for someone to cut the course. The crowd spread out very wide this year.

I am stunned nobody has posted his name, email address and phone number and that nobody has sent an email to his employer. I mean, this is Slowtwitch.

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [gregn] [ In reply to ]

2010: 1:18 / 7:28 / 3:51 = 12:51
2011: no result / 6:46 / 3:51 = 11:44 - means sub 1hr swim / T1 combined...

so he went from 78 min to ~55min to 38min... pretty consistent improvement!

ridgerd wrote:
2010: 1:18 / 7:28 / 3:51 = 12:51
2011: no result / 6:46 / 3:51 = 11:44 - means sub 1hr swim / T1 combined...

so he went from 78 min to ~55min to 38min... pretty consistent improvement!

---

Makes last years "no result" very suspicious..

--

Prev Next