Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training Benefit of a Short Bike Commute
Quote | Reply
I've recently started commuting to/from work, 4 miles each way, on my fixie. It's a short ride but it's alot of fun getting a ride in every day, and it sure beats sitting in traffic in a car.

Do you think I'll see any long term training or fitness benefits in this commute? I'm a triathlete biking around 130 miles a week for training (not commuting), so potentially I'm adding 40 very easy miles into the mix. I've been biking 4 years, and it's my strongest sport.

Thoughts or opinions? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Training Benefit of a Short Bike Commute [JustMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
any time in the saddle is beneficial!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love commuting on my bike! I have several routes that I can take from 6 to 25 miles one way. Any time in the saddle is good time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maybe the accumulation of time over a long period.

http://www.easyendurance.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[JustMike] It's a short ride but it's alot of fun getting a ride in every day, and it sure beats sitting in traffic in a car.[/quote]
dude, you answered your own question. Training benefit or not you've found one of life's free drugs.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I commute about the same distance every day

I ride in with my running stuff in a bag attached to a rack on the bike, change after work, shove the work clothes in the bag, and run home pushing the bike. A lot of running miles have accumulated that otherwise would not have happened. My routes home vary, adding extra miles here and there as time or energy permits. I have been doing it so long that people no longer stop and ask if I need help or a ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JustMike wrote:
I've recently started commuting to/from work, 4 miles each way, on my fixie. It's a short ride but it's alot of fun getting a ride in every day, and it sure beats sitting in traffic in a car.

Do you think I'll see any long term training or fitness benefits in this commute? I'm a triathlete biking around 130 miles a week for training (not commuting), so potentially I'm adding 40 very easy miles into the mix. I've been biking 4 years, and it's my strongest sport.

Thoughts or opinions? Thanks!

As mentioned already, any saddle time is beneficial
I also have a fixie with toe-clips, when on hills I really have to focus on elliptical pedalling, I've found it has vastly impoved my torque on my race bike.

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Re: Training Benefit of a Short Bike Commute [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a friend that is a former national team cyclist that stays uber-fit by using the short bike commute as VO2 max training. Say what you will but I can't hold his wheel!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did this with my old job but it was only 2 miles each way. I just sprinted the whole way. I think it helped me a lot because I am only able to get out on a real ride like once month if that so it’s all the time I get and I seem to do okay in a sprint, anything more and I’m sure this probably wouldn’t work. Now my work is 4 miles and I am trying to commute by bike but 11 hr nights on your feet in a warehouse makes for a rough commute home. You save gas and burn fat and if you go all out I think you get something out of it. If they are easy miles you may not but still fun
Quote Reply