Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Newbie Question - Cervelo P3 Gear Shifting
Quote | Reply
I just got a 2011 Cervelo P3 (Ultegra model) and am having gear shifting problems.

The problem typically happens when shifting from the small ring to the large ring. The chain seems to jam up against the front derailleur, thus locking the crank. At this point , I have no option but to dismount and untangle it.

My LBS assures me the bike is in perfect working order. If so, then I guess I’m doing something stupid. I’m familiar with the “best practice” of shifting when the chain is in the middle of the cassette but it doesn’t seem to help.

FYI that this is my first tri bike, but I've down 1000s of miles on my road bike (Trek Madone 5.2) which has exactly the same Ultegra chainset and I’ve never had any problems with it, it’s been bulletproof.

The main difference is the friction shifter on the P3 which does take some getting used to.

Can anyone advise what I’m doing wrong, because this is very frustrating. I cannot even begin to consider using this for a race until I know this problem is behind me.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Question - Cervelo P3 Gear Shifting [smallard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the front derailleur is not adjusted properly

find a new LBS or learn to adjust the front derailleur by yourself. Park Tools has a website with instructions.

Shifting should be no different than any other bike. Also some small possibility that chainrings are installed backwards or something.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Question - Cervelo P3 Gear Shifting [smallard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
smallard wrote:
I just got a 2011 Cervelo P3 (Ultegra model) and am having gear shifting problems.

The problem typically happens when shifting from the small ring to the large ring. The chain seems to jam up against the front derailleur, thus locking the crank. At this point , I have no option but to dismount and untangle it.

My LBS assures me the bike is in perfect working order. If so, then I guess I’m doing something stupid. I’m familiar with the “best practice” of shifting when the chain is in the middle of the cassette but it doesn’t seem to help.

FYI that this is my first tri bike, but I've down 1000s of miles on my road bike (Trek Madone 5.2) which has exactly the same Ultegra chainset and I’ve never had any problems with it, it’s been bulletproof.

The main difference is the friction shifter on the P3 which does take some getting used to.

Can anyone advise what I’m doing wrong, because this is very frustrating. I cannot even begin to consider using this for a race until I know this problem is behind me.

Thanks.

Had the same issue w the same bike. I was riding a Felt road bike w Dura Ace before.

Try not exerting much force as your changing gears. I found that w my road bike I would 'smash' through the gears. With my Ultegra P3 I 'ease' into the big ring.
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Question - Cervelo P3 Gear Shifting [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah Jack's correct. The P3 has pretty short chainstays which make the shifting on the front a bit finicky. But not so much that jamming should occur. That said FD can be very touchy. i've made tiny height and rotational differences on my TT bike and its amazing how much difference an almost imperceptable change can make.

Styrrell
Last edited by: styrrell: Jun 22, 12 20:04
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Question - Cervelo P3 Gear Shifting [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem with a similar bike, '08 P2C. Wound up having to do the same thing- ease into the shift. Also had to make certain I wasn't in an extreme gear (high or low) when moving from small to big chain ring.
Quote Reply