Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Fazz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The stack and reach guide is to top of pad holder. The pad's another 8-12mm. You can run the stem directly against the compression ring on the top bearing if needed. That gains you another 8mm.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Specialized Bicycle Components
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Tri297] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The aerobars will be coming this summer as aftermarket product and yes, they're 1 1/8" compatible so you could run the carbon bar and integrated aero stem with a spacer to fit the Transition's 1" steerer.

Two different configs:
-Specialized Carbon Aerobar & Aero Stem
-Specialized Hydroformed Alloy Aerobar - works with any 31.8mm stem

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your reply Mark.

That seems to suggest that indeed 600mm will be the lowest stack on small frame in standard aerobar form anyway.
So 600mm to pad holder, say 8mm for pads, less 8mm for stem running direct on lowest setting so still at 600mm for low stack.

The XS does cater for my stack needs, but I'd be at the max of the Reach and way out in front so think this is not the best option.

I think I will try out a small at local dealer first to ensure this will suffice for my stack, and if needed look at lower bars thereafter.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Tri297] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the aluminum version of the cockpit for sale in the classifieds if interested. http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...rch_string=;#3960994
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fazz wrote:
Thanks for your reply Mark.

That seems to suggest that indeed 600mm will be the lowest stack on small frame in standard aerobar form anyway.
So 600mm to pad holder, say 8mm for pads, less 8mm for stem running direct on lowest setting so still at 600mm for low stack.

The XS does cater for my stack needs, but I'd be at the max of the Reach and way out in front so think this is not the best option.

I think I will try out a small at local dealer first to ensure this will suffice for my stack, and if needed look at lower bars thereafter.

Thanks.

Sounds like the problem I had. I ended up on a small, ditched the stock aero bars for some with lower stack and more reach and now I am very pleased. If interested, you can see the setup in this thread: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi

Test rode the S and M today on the Comp and found that the S is a way better fit. I am 5' 9" average build and flexibility. For the M I had to flip the seat post forward and have the tower at its max height but still felt stretched out with my upper arm-fore arm angle more than 90 degrees (more in line with the fork angle). Without the pro adjustable stem, as I got lower the pads would be even further out.

Sorry to hijack the question (cant seem to find a way to add a new post) but I had a question on teh crank lengths. The Comp sized S comes with a 170 crank on the FSA Gossamer (172 comes on the size M). I want to switch to my Ultegra setup I have from my roadie which is 172 in length. I further notice that Crowie went small on the bike and even shorter cranks! Appreciate any advice on whether I should stick with the shorter crank ie find a new one as I dont like the FSA or can live with the longer Ultegra crank.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Fast Freddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting - I'm 5'9" (32" inseam) and ride the medium - my sizing issue is opposite from yours. On the medium I have the front end slammed all the way down and a longer and slightly negative rise stem than standard (on the Expert) so I don't get all bunched up.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [quangtt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks Good

----------------------------------------------------------

"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life".
Zappa
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Mark,

Will the bars coming out this summer have lower stack? Or do we need to look to 3rd party bars for that?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri

I havent really measured my in seam but could you be long and low ie longer torso than me? I have a vid but my blackberry doesnt seem to want to sedn it anywhere for me to post.

So any thoughts on crank length? I hadn't really thought about it until faced with the shorter one on the S and having read many of the articles on shorter lengths (and higher cadences) I am having some second thoughts on it. It would change my fit a bit as the saddle would have to be lower (gotta cut it) and the angle and 12 o clock would be more acute. Anyone else?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [rr_runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bars coming this summer are the same exact bars as the OE spec. We are designing lower stack extension clamps that are modular and work with the current bar but those won't be available at the same time as these bars.

We do have an 80/110 stem for the carbon aerobar coming as well.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome.
This would eliminate the need for new aero bars for me.

Would you have an approx timeframe for these?

Assume they lower stack by a further 10-20mm ish?

Quality manufacturer's upgrade. Fair play.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally bummed out, showed up at Eagleman today and while taking bike out of truck the rear derailleur hanger broke off, two screws holding it on bike are stripped. Local bike shop rigged it together, hope it holds for race. Nobody has replacement parts for this.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [godekjames] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same thing happened to my RD albeit in a different fashion. LBS just put in two similar, stronger, longer screws, and it's been holding up fine. Shouldn't be a problem so don't worry about it! Apparently the ones supplied seemed really short to the guys looking at the RD damage.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [realtalk411] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realtalk411 wrote:
Same thing happened to my RD albeit in a different fashion. LBS just put in two similar, stronger, longer screws, and it's been holding up fine. Shouldn't be a problem so don't worry about it! Apparently the ones supplied seemed really short to the guys looking at the RD damage.

Thanks for the reply, thats what LBS did for me too, glad to hear it works OK
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pics below. Really like it so far! The heat shrink things for the zippers are brilliant. The only issue I had is that if I were to use the rearmost frame-attached velcro piece, it would cover a Specialized sticker with the bike's serial number, so I just used the front two and wrapped the back without a velcro piece on the frame.

Last edited by: concededpenguin: Jun 11, 12 11:06
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [concededpenguin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
concededpenguin wrote:
Pics below. Really like it so far! The heat shrink things for the zippers are brilliant.

Holy toledo, that's one killer bike ! Great pic.

2 things, if you wanted to, you know you can mount it further forward, even if the pack covers part of the fuel bladder opening. It will still be totally secure, as long as you can get the straps around your top tube.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, I looked into mounting it farther forward, but I'd rather not cover the bladder opening as I use it all the time and am thus constantly refilling it.

Thanks for the compliment!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CAnderson_SBC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sharing some real world race experience on the Shiv...

Rode my Shiv Comp Rival in Eagleman yesterday. First real test for the new rig (Hed 9s on front and rear with a disc cover on rear). I've done plenty of training miles and one small sprint race on the Shiv with pretty good results, but this would be the real deal. I have raced Eagleman 3 times before, but I haven't raced Eagleman since 2006, so it would be a good comparison. At 51 years old, I am not really getting any faster, so hopefully the Shiv / Hed combo will give me an advantage.

Overall, it was fantastic. I blew away my previous best Eagleman bike split by 4 minutes, finishing in 2:22. I even overshot a turn by 100 feet and had to turn around and get back on course and my dismount was miserable.

I felt very comfortable throughout. I also had my fastest swim split by 4 minutes, so it wasn't like I was dogging the swim.

Filling the hydration system while going 23+ mph was a snap. I did have one problem - the hose came off of the bite valve connector - never happened in training rides, so I'll need to make sure it is really tight before the race - probably just loosened over time.

I kept things very simple, no major mods except the wheels of course. I have one Gorilla drink holder zip tied to the seat and another drink holder zip tied to the aero bars. I used a rare earth magnet to keep the bite valve in place. Speedplay pedals.

The good news is I'm just getting started and I believe I have even faster rides to come. Going to do Vermont Olympic Tri Nationals in August and Vegas 70.3 in September. Hillier courses - should be interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [jesse@thr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw your Shiv at Eagleman, looked good!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [concededpenguin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
concededpenguin wrote:
I saw your Shiv at Eagleman, looked good!

Thanks - did we meet at EM?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [jesse@thr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nah, we were just passing through town on Saturday and stopped to check out the course (and swim it) and the expo. I have a Shiv so I tend to notice them all and saw one matching the description you gave of yours.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Rasmus1310] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome pic!!

A few questions re: the aerobar

1. Can the extensions be cut?

2. Can the bullhorn basebar be cut out by the brake lever so that they are straight and not flared up?

3. Can different extensions be substituted (say some profile extensions)

4. Can a different aerobar be used on the Shiv S works?

Thanks

Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [bamaE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Follow up for all shiv owners

How is the ride? Everyone satisfied with their decision? Any P3 defectors out there who wish they would have stuck with their P3?

Thanks for all replies
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [bamaE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bamaE wrote:
Awesome pic!!

A few questions re: the aerobar

1. Can the extensions be cut?

2. Can the bullhorn basebar be cut out by the brake lever so that they are straight and not flared up?

3. Can different extensions be substituted (say some profile extensions)

4. Can a different aerobar be used on the Shiv S works?

Thanks

Eric

1. Yes.
2. I suppose but you wouldn't be left with much.
3. Yes.
4. Yes if you also swap the stem; No if you want to use the integrated stem.
Last edited by: Philosoraptor: Jun 13, 12 17:49
Quote Reply

Prev Next