Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Aussie womens pro to walk marathon - shooting for 12 hours [casman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
casman wrote:
After reading the article I don't understand your view on this. She didn't have anything bad to say about WTC or the fact that she had to finish an IM to validate her spot. She simply said she is injured and will only be able to walk the run. She is following the rules so I see this as being a professional. Similar to other sports that have injury reports before competitions she is stating she has an injury and will not be able to compete at 100%.

Would you suggest that she wait to race another IM later in the season instead of sticking to her planned race schedule?

I think Jordan was merely saying that he disagrees with the rule that allows her to do this.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Aussie womens pro to walk marathon - shooting for 12 hours [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or work hard..

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Aussie womens pro to walk marathon - shooting for 12 hours [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is what he stated above in the post I was responding to,

"Personally, I do not care what Ms. Rollison does. She's allowed to walk the marathon, so she's going to. But I don't think she should be allowed to walk the marathon. That's my opinion."

The discussion about whether or not you need to validate a spot is really another topic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why should it be available for every man? You get to enter a lotto for the Super Bowl? How about the World Series? You cant even lotto into the World Series of Poker. IT is hight time we make it what it is - a Championship Race. I am so sick and damn tired of the NBC news crew finding some whoa is me slob in the crowd to do a pitty party feel good overcome the odds story. I know that means I will never get to "Kona" but I sure could go to many of the other races on the islands and not dilute the efforts of the people who have earned their spots.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Aussie womens pro to walk marathon - shooting for 12 hours [R10C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
R10C wrote:
Why should it be available for every man? You get to enter a lotto for the Super Bowl? How about the World Series? You cant even lotto into the World Series of Poker. IT is hight time we make it what it is - a Championship Race. I am so sick and damn tired of the NBC news crew finding some whoa is me slob in the crowd to do a pitty party feel good overcome the odds story. I know that means I will never get to "Kona" but I sure could go to many of the other races on the islands and not dilute the efforts of the people who have earned their spots.

My opinion...

Kona was started as an event for anyone to enter. It should continue as such with the lottery, I would just eliminate charging people to enter the lottery. There are many spots available to those with good genes and those that work hard (with the necessary genes) (to BryanCD, if I quit my job and hired a coach and worked full time on Ironman training I would still never manage a time good enough to qualify for Kona. So, yeah, genes count)

Quote Reply
Re: Aussie womens pro to walk marathon - shooting for 12 hours [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think it makes a mockery of the event to walk the marathon if you're injured. Lots of competitors walk part of the IM marathon, even pros. Anyone who has anything beyond a very casual interest in Ironman racing understands why she is walking the marathon. I don't think Chuckie V drinking a beer in the IM made a mockery of the event either. So what if a guy drinks one beer in 8+ hours of racing when he's having a rough day? I was on the course with him that day and never questioned his status as an elite or that he was mocking the race.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: May 24, 12 9:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tend to agree with Blep. I have no issues with the lottery. I work very hard (check ST log) and have just good enough genes that with a half decent finish and the really fast guys not showing up and with a fairly decent roll down, I have been able to go. But guys in this category (on the bubble) are still in the minority. The bulk of participants, no matter how hard they work will never get a whiff of the Kona start line, but like a guy like me would never get a whiff of the NFL or NBA....just have the wrong parents.

Unlike the NFL or NBA, our sport CAN provide access to the championship event for those with parents who gave them genes that are not ideal for long course triathlon. I do think the lottery is valid. To appease those who want the purity of the sport, they could just have a citizen wave that leaves 5 min after the "qualifier wave". In fact, beef up the size of the "citizen wave" and put the transition for that behind the King Kam. More access to the show for regular folks who don't have the right starting genetics to get to Kona qual shape. Moving all of this to the Kim Kam would also provide 200 more spots on the pier for the "qualifer wave"...win win win.

To Bryancd, I know what you mean by "work harder". I think for guys from a half decent genetic starting point for Long Course tri, that certainly applies. But that won't get most people to Kona. Many don't have a chance in hell even if they average 17 hours a week of training all year and get down to 6% body fat. It's just the way it is. Some of us can't be linemen, some of us can't be gymnasts, some of us can't be jockeys. Nothing wrong in admitting that there are some body types that just don't work for some sports.
Quote Reply
Re: Aussie womens pro to walk marathon - shooting for 12 hours [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the penalty was harsh but the beer thing was a bit of mockery. Its either a top level race or an social event. I'd hate to see Kona turn into one of the rolling party events like Bay to Breakers.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Aussie womens pro to walk marathon - shooting for 12 hours [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
I don't think it makes a mockery of the event to walk the marathon if you're injured. Lots of competitors walk part of the IM marathon, even pros. Anyone who has anything beyond a very casual interest in Ironman racing understands why she is walking the marathon. I don't think Chuckie V drinking a beer in the IM made a mockery of the event either. So what if a guy drinks one beer in 8+ hours of racing when he's having a rough day? I was on the course with him that day and never questioned his status as an elite or that he was mocking the race.

The biggest joke about the Chuckie V thing is that WTC claimed that he put the safety of others at risk. Yeah, one guy walking along drinking one beer put others safety at risk. Chuckie was suspended because he did an interview and joked about drinking a beer during the race. WTC was embarrassed and came up with excuses for their stupid suspension.

Quote Reply
Re: Aussie womens pro to walk marathon - shooting for 12 hours [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't forget that the Hawaii Ironman was created by guys drinking beers, that runner-up John Dunbar drank two beers during the marathon in the inaugural race, and that the race probably won't still be around if it wasn't for the sponsorship of Bud Light in the early years. :)
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: May 24, 12 10:10
Quote Reply
Re: Aussie womens pro to walk marathon - shooting for 12 hours [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no problem with the lottery, I think it should remain as is. I just felt to characterize qualifiers as limited to those genetically gifted fails to acknowledge the work put in as well.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have nothing against beer, but is Kona really a race where it needs to be on the course? It the only race other than the OG that gets TV coverage for the masses. I can live with Joe average not thinking a IM race is athletic frat party.

Bob ; I'm going to Kona this year and doing the IM race.

Joe: Dude thats sweet you going to get hammered, do you have costume all picked out? You should totally rock one of those Pee Wee Herman bikes

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Aussie womens pro to walk marathon - shooting for 12 hours [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
I think the penalty was harsh but the beer thing was a bit of mockery. Its either a top level race or an social event. I'd hate to see Kona turn into one of the rolling party events like Bay to Breakers.

It was definitely a mockery and I don't even care what the length of the suspension was. My problem with it is the BS that WTC spouted about Chuckie endangering other competitors. They suspended him for the mockery, nothing else. Don't $h!t in my mouth and tell me it's chocolate.

hijacked thread...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If i wasn't at work........ I'd drink a beer to that!

what does it matter? this is supposed to all be FUN

lets not miss that point. a rolling frat party would be FUN. slogging through a marathon in 90+ heat and humidity isn't "fun" anymore, give me an ice cold beer!

for the big guys getting paid, sorry, you are going to have to gut it out while you are "on the clock" looking for a paycheck.

the rest of us? we are just paying to play!

Carry on

Tim

Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
So between saying, "I'm following the rules because i have to but because of injury I'm going to not actually race." and saying yes I was racing, but i got a tummy ache and walked it in, lying is the best policy?

Not wanting to go after Rapp, but he is valued on this forum because he is so open about his racing, but was his IM race with the stomach issues really issues or was he there because he had sponser obligations and it was a training day? I have no doubt it was the former, but no fan cares if someone says they are going to be on the course for another reason rather than racing.

Well, the poop in the pants answers that question for me..........

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Aussie womens pro to walk marathon - shooting for 12 hours [TimAndrus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here you go guys, you can stop hyjacking this thread now, it's all about beer!!

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Mark Lemmon wrote:

The biggest joke about the Chuckie V thing is that WTC claimed that he put the safety of others at risk. Yeah, one guy walking along drinking one beer put others safety at risk. Chuckie was suspended because he did an interview and joked about drinking a beer during the race. WTC was embarrassed and came up with excuses for their stupid suspension.

http://www.stripes.com/...icer-in-1978-1.83982
Retired U.S. Navy officer John Collins says he had no idea that someday the Ironman triathlon he helped found in 1978 would be an international phenomenon. After all, it was a taxi driver who won the first Ironman. And Collins admits he consumed beer and chili while competing in the inaugural Ironman, according to his biography found on Ironman.com.
According to a USA Today Web article, runner-up John Dunbar, a Navy SEAL, had the opportunity to win the first Ironman, but toward the end of the race he ran out of water. His supporters gave him beer instead.

Y'all think we should kick John Collins and John Dunbar out of the sport.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TriRaceBook.com
Hawaii Qualification Analysis
Quote Reply
Re: Aussie womens pro to walk marathon - shooting for 12 hours [R10C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
R10C wrote:

I went to Kona through a lottery spot (first and only try). It was fun. It took me 12:07 to finish. Not really that fast.

I trained for it and did my best. I know most of those there got in because they worked hard and went fast. They deserved my respect. I showed that respect by taking my training seriously.

Nobody who was there or has been there had a problem with me being there. Those who haven't been there seem to be the bitter ones.

BTW, I beat a lot of people who qualified. Some of them were in my age group. And my marathon time was the same as Chris Lieto's.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Aussie womens pro to walk marathon - shooting for 12 hours [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
And my marathon time was the same as Chris Lieto's.

Ok, now say something to impress us

:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:

---

I agree and in my opinion the pro ranks could do with some more funny characters like Chukie V.Some us actually enjoy following athletes with a little individuality.That call to ban him was lame.

---
Quote Reply
70.3 World Champion plans to walk IM Cairns to Validate Kona slot [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How's that ;)

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
<snip>

This is just my opinion... I think that allowing the winners of Hy-Vee and 70.3 WC easy access is great for the sport. Most Ironman races generally have fairly weak fields, guys (or gals) that would have no shot to win or even be competitive in Kona can qualify by doing a bunch of IMs and coming top 10.

I would rather see what the Hy-Vee winner and the 70.3 winner can do in the big dance. If Rollison shows up and comes top 10 in Kona, that will validate her presence for me.

Look back to 2007, I don't think that Sam McGlone did an Ironman distance race before doing Kona and came 2nd to some girl named Chrissie. Should she have been there? I think so.

I don't disagree with letting them in because "they don't deserve to be there." I disagree with it because it's post hoc validation. I.e., they do well, so clearly they deserved to be there. Certainly the track record of 70.3 champs in Kona has been good. No denying that. It's just my opinion that Kona qualifying should be based on Ironman performance. That's just my $0.02. I don't have a problem with people having the opposite opinion because - as you said - they've proven they can do well. Different takes on the subject. Both valid, I think.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Aussie womens pro to walk marathon - shooting for 12 hours [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I tend to agree with Blep. I have no issues with the lottery. I work very hard (check ST log) and have just good enough genes that with a half decent finish and the really fast guys not showing up and with a fairly decent roll down, I have been able to go. But guys in this category (on the bubble) are still in the minority. The bulk of participants, no matter how hard they work will never get a whiff of the Kona start line, but like a guy like me would never get a whiff of the NFL or NBA....just have the wrong parents.

Unlike the NFL or NBA, our sport CAN provide access to the championship event for those with parents who gave them genes that are not ideal for long course triathlon. I do think the lottery is valid. To appease those who want the purity of the sport, they could just have a citizen wave that leaves 5 min after the "qualifier wave". In fact, beef up the size of the "citizen wave" and put the transition for that behind the King Kam. More access to the show for regular folks who don't have the right starting genetics to get to Kona qual shape. Moving all of this to the Kim Kam would also provide 200 more spots on the pier for the "qualifer wave"...win win win.

To Bryancd, I know what you mean by "work harder". I think for guys from a half decent genetic starting point for Long Course tri, that certainly applies. But that won't get most people to Kona. Many don't have a chance in hell even if they average 17 hours a week of training all year and get down to 6% body fat. It's just the way it is. Some of us can't be linemen, some of us can't be gymnasts, some of us can't be jockeys. Nothing wrong in admitting that there are some body types that just don't work for some sports.

Sorry to drag up a two-week old post, but just stumbled across it searching for something else...

Can't really understand why you think lotteries are a good idea for a WC. Do you believe the Superbowl or AllStars event would be better if they allowed people to drop some cash and play in the games? Not the greatest comparison because obviously in a team sport environment they would interfere with the other players. A better one might be the Masters. Do you think that the spectacle of a 13 handicapper teeing up at Augusta National would be good for the game? No, that's what they have Pro-Ams for.

You don't have to be genetically "blessed" to get there. I agree with Bryan that it's more about the hard work. I suspect those that claim to train as hard are more limited by a lack of ability to hurt and train hard. Then there's the dialing in of nutrition. Let's remember the speeds some people are swimming, biking and running are not actually that fast.

There are so many IM's around the world these days that no one is stopping these lotteries from ticking their 'bucket list', but a WC is a WC. I think Duffy hit the nail on the head when he said the majority who have the issue are the fringe athletes. I was one of those and at the time I do recall this bugging me. But then there's also the CEO passes, armed forces etc to get worked up over. Though perhaps the biggest beef was that my efforts (I won't use times because that's course dependent) would have been good enough in most North American races. Many are limited by geography, not genetics, and shouldn't have to be flush with cash to travel across the globe for equity, particularly when it involves training through winters for anything other than the main act. Scales may have started balancing a bit more in recent years mind you but still have ways to go.

Back OT ... Jordan's views are somewhat baffling. MR said she expected to be on the run course after 6 hours, so that's not sandbagging the first two legs for a female pro, that's pretty darn good for all but CW. She can't run and to do so later in the year would impede on her priority races as Dev said. Based on the views of many that I've read recently it sounds like they think Rapp is being more 'disrespectful' to the sport by not showing up at Kona and instead putting sponsors first. At least MR is trying as best as she can to get there given the circumstances and wanting to race the best.
Quote Reply
Re: Aussie womens pro to walk marathon - shooting for 12 hours [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
<snip>

This is just my opinion... I think that allowing the winners of Hy-Vee and 70.3 WC easy access is great for the sport. Most Ironman races generally have fairly weak fields, guys (or gals) that would have no shot to win or even be competitive in Kona can qualify by doing a bunch of IMs and coming top 10.

I would rather see what the Hy-Vee winner and the 70.3 winner can do in the big dance. If Rollison shows up and comes top 10 in Kona, that will validate her presence for me.

Look back to 2007, I don't think that Sam McGlone did an Ironman distance race before doing Kona and came 2nd to some girl named Chrissie. Should she have been there? I think so.

I don't disagree with letting them in because "they don't deserve to be there." I disagree with it because it's post hoc validation. I.e., they do well, so clearly they deserved to be there. Certainly the track record of 70.3 champs in Kona has been good. No denying that. It's just my opinion that Kona qualifying should be based on Ironman performance. That's just my $0.02. I don't have a problem with people having the opposite opinion because - as you said - they've proven they can do well. Different takes on the subject. Both valid, I think.

Back on this again... This is my problem with the current KPR rankings. Look at the men #s 19 and 20. Jason Shortis and Aaron Farlow. Now maybe I am just ignorant and maybe these guys will contend but I doubt it. I see two guys racking up KPR points by doing a bunch of IM events with placings that aren't that great. I don't see them being contenders at Kona. Even if they could possibly contend, they will be so wiped out by then that they have no chance. I'd rather watch the 70.3 champ than these guys.

Quote Reply
Re: Aussie womens pro to walk marathon - shooting for 12 hours [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you believe the Superbowl or AllStars event would be better if they allowed people to drop some cash and play in the games? Not the greatest comparison because obviously in a team sport environment they would interfere with the other players. A better one might be the Masters. Do you think that the spectacle of a 13 handicapper teeing up at Augusta National would be good for the game? No, that's what they have Pro-Ams for. //

Sounds like you are advocating getting rid of all AG'ers from Kona. Because last time i checked, the events you listed do not have an AG division along with their pro race/ event championship.

So like that 13 handicapper ruining the game of golf, you showing up at Kona ruins the pro race too? Pardon me if you are an 8;30 hawaii finisher...
Quote Reply

Prev Next