Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [kello711] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kello711 wrote:
I have the Shiv Comp with a mostly black paint job and my bladder trends to warm up much faster than the insulated bottle in a cage.

Um, that's because it's insulated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kello711 wrote:
I have the Shiv Comp with a mostly black paint job and my bladder trends to warm up much faster than the insulated bottle in a cage.

Thanks, not a big fan of insulted bottles - I have Polar - too hard to squeeze to get fluid out. What do you use?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Philosoraptor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a polar bottle. But I have to say, I've had similar results with non insulated bottles. I think this mostly a result of the bike's paint job.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kello711 wrote:
I have a polar bottle. But I have to say, I've had similar results with non insulated bottles. I think this mostly a result of the bike's paint job.

upgrade to the elite frame :) it is white.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [odin99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got mine today. loving it so far.
On the brake pads I have a question. what do the silver bits that turn do? Is there any "open" lever like on shimano brakes to remove your wheels?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Blatant] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The silver bits just cover the bolts. There is no open lever, you will have to squeeze them together and remove the noodle if you want to open them right up. I have might adjusted far enough out that I can just get the tyre through without having to open them order to remove the wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about converting the front to center pull. Does it look possible?

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should be possible. You would need to find a way of mounting a stop above the brake. If you use a spacer on your steerer, I think they used to use a spacer with a stop on the Transition but I can't be sure.

EDIT:
Yes I can be sure.

It can also be seen in this review of the Transition by Dan Empfield.
http://www.slowtwitch.com/...p_for_2010_1306.html

I might like to do this myself but I have no spacers on my steerer.
Last edited by: Philosoraptor: May 27, 12 3:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I might like to do this myself but I have no spacers on my steerer.

I am in the same situation as you in regards to no spacers. If you read down the review he mentions that Specialized makes a dust cap with an integrated stop. I looked on the specialized site and didn't see it but I am going to ask my local Specialized dealer about it this week.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Pickles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if the rear brake on the shiv can be replaced. I hate the rear brake as it never stays centered.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What front wheel are you using? I've noticed the same thing (with 404 FC on front). I tried with a standard wheel up front and it's a little better but still not great. I come from a MTB racing background so I thought my handling skills were above average but now on long fast windy descents I am reduced to a mere little chicken shttng in the breeze. The 404FC is meant to be more stable, but I think it's the combo of 404 and large surface area of the shiv up front.

Maybe I just need to get used to it. But as it stands I'm gonna lose a lot of time on races due to fear of wiping out on descents.

edit: PS looking at my race files, my speed instability issues seem to happen at around 40mph (i.e. my max speed is not higher than that)
Last edited by: amagangan: May 27, 12 9:19
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [amagangan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's interesting. Anyone else having problems with handling on windy days?

Do you have a disc on the rear?

''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Last edited by: Sweeney: May 27, 12 10:01
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [jbird2131] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wanted to ask a basic but necessary question about your hydration set-up for training rides lasting for about 1.5 hours: Since you already have a bladder, is it more practical to use the bottle cage you have installed on your frame, or better to just use the bladder system? I am leaning towards the latter and not even installing the bottle cage, if that makes any sense (up to 70.3 distance).
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [jackofalltrades] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run the same setup as Jbird and i just use the bladder and a bottle between the aerobars. I will do all of my races with that setup (including IM). For longer training rides I will put a bottle on the frame but I haven't needed to yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pickles wrote:
Does anyone know if the rear brake on the shiv can be replaced. I hate the rear brake as it never stays centered.

I am not sure of this, but I believe that:

Right now the answer is, no.

However, shimano is within a few months(?) coming out with a very similar TT brake which may be able to mount on the shiv's brake caliper bosses.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. So what do you use for hydration for shorter training rides (below 1.5 hours)? Do you just rely on the bladder or the bottle independently?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the bottle between arms (BTA) for calories and the bladder for water. On a shorter ride I'll use the bladder and the BTA (its hot in texas). On a long ride I'll use the frame mount as a third hydration option. I haven't zipited a cage to the rails of my saddle yet but may try it to keep the frame clean. Another option for race day is a Virtue bottle on the seat tube with flat kit inside.

I agree with you. For the 70.3 distance I would go with between the arms setup and the bladder. Keep the frame clean

Toro Performance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty much the same as Jbird said. Bladder is water only for me and the BTA bottle is for calories. So I base what I use dependent on if I just want water for that ride or not. I have a Virtue bottle for sale in the classifieds if anyone is interested. http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=3939270;#3939270

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 I use the bottle between the arms for short rides. For longer rides, the bladder holds water and the bottle in between the arms is filled with calorie drink.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
amagangan wrote:
What front wheel are you using? I've noticed the same thing (with 404 FC on front). I tried with a standard wheel up front and it's a little better but still not great. I come from a MTB racing background so I thought my handling skills were above average but now on long fast windy descents I am reduced to a mere little chicken shttng in the breeze. The 404FC is meant to be more stable, but I think it's the combo of 404 and large surface area of the shiv up front.

Maybe I just need to get used to it. But as it stands I'm gonna lose a lot of time on races due to fear of wiping out on descents.

edit: PS looking at my race files, my speed instability issues seem to happen at around 40mph (i.e. my max speed is not higher than that)

FYI - I have run into this a few times on my Venge! I run 404FC's on it and when its windy I get the same problem right around 40mph. I have not had my shiv at 40mph yet so I cant answer unfortunately but its like clockwork on the Venge with 404's, as soon as I hit 40mph I feel like I have a flat, its very unnerving. I also come from MTB'ing and raced both street and dirt bikes for years so I usually descend pretty well, I have a set of Zipp 101's as well and I can tell you I dont get that same sensation on those wheels when they are on the Venge.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Shane_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm asking this because I'm very interested in this bike, not to insult you guys, but since you both say that you're from a mountain bike racing backround, how much high speed descending have you done? What is the highest speed you were comfortable descending on your previous bike? I can remember going down the Keen hill in Lake Placid at 50 mph and getting blown into the on coming traffic lane. I just rode it out. Would you be comfortable in that situation? I have a two mile downhill by my house where I always hit 50 while going through the curve at the bottom. I do it all the time. I'm just wondering about your comfort zone, don't take it personally.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went down Nautilus in San Diego for the AG Race 2 weeks ago and went 49+mph. I did feel some shakiness, but I think it was more a factor because of my wheels, Reynolds 66/81, rather than the frame itself. It definitely wasn't enough to get me out of aero though.

This past week I rode in pretty gusty situations (20mph gusts, no cover in farmland) and again, I felt as though the shakiness was from my front wheel than the frame. I've used the same wheels on my road bike, and I've felt a slight push from that frame in addition to the wheels when riding down a twisty mountainous descent (29-38mph descents).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had 58mm carbon clinchers on the front / rear as training wheels. Switched to a zipp sub9 and 808 FC front last week to get used to them for training & stability-wise they feel about the same.

Separately, a friend of mine just got back from a tri camp & said that a few of his teammates who recently picked up shivs were having the same sort of issues.. Looks like its not just me..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I just went out for another ride today in some significant winds. 30-35mph gusts in headwind and crosswinds. This is the first time I have ridden the Shiv in this much wind. I have a 404FC on the front and an 808FC on the rear. I hit 40-44mph a few times and it was actually much more stable than my Venge at these same speeds with the 404's. There is a section of road where I can easily hit 50mph and on my older Fulcrum Racing wheels my Venge was stable but with the 404's, as soon as I hit 40+ I start to feel very "twitchy". I think part of my nervousness comes from having a blowout on the front tire a while back while descending so I am a little more cautious now than before. I feel safer on the Shiv at 40-44mph than I do on the Venge on the same road. Not sure if I am really answering your question but I guess my point is that I actually feel better on the Shiv than the Venge at high speeds with the same wheels. I believe the "twitchyness" I get has more to do with the wheels than the bike. In big crosswinds I do get a bit of a wobble on the front wheel but as of yet it has not been too unsettling. I used to bicycle race as a teenager and I really enjoy descending at speed, I am comfortable with the Shiv going downhill, but it does seem that if the road is in bad shape I am considerably slower than when on my road bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pickles wrote:
I run the same setup as Jbird and i just use the bladder and a bottle between the aerobars. I will do all of my races with that setup (including IM). For longer training rides I will put a bottle on the frame but I haven't needed to yet.

I have this same issue btw - still fighting with it to get it right!
Quote Reply

Prev Next