Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CakeWalk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regarding stability, when comparing my Shiv to my old P2, I'm experiencing the exact opposite. I've had the bike for several months now, and when traveling at high speeds (>30mph), even reasonably mild crosswinds make the front end of the bike feel very unstable and "wobbly" -- to the point where I get nervous and have to come out of the aerobars. I never remotely felt this way on my P2 - loved the speed -- the faster the better.

Fit on both bikes is comparable & wheels are the same (58mm carbon clinchers). Anyone else experiencing this or perhaps the opposite? Any other thoughts?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davews09 wrote:
Regarding stability, when comparing my Shiv to my old P2, I'm experiencing the exact opposite. I've had the bike for several months now, and when traveling at high speeds (>30mph), even reasonably mild crosswinds make the front end of the bike feel very unstable and "wobbly" -- to the point where I get nervous and have to come out of the aerobars. I never remotely felt this way on my P2 - loved the speed -- the faster the better.

Fit on both bikes is comparable & wheels are the same (58mm carbon clinchers). Anyone else experiencing this or perhaps the opposite? Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Everyone is going to have a different experience I guess, but I feel the new Shiv is very solid at higher speeds with/without crosswinds. Now, I'm a definitely a clydesdale rider, so that may have something to do with the stability feeling, but coming off the sizable bridges that head out to the beaches here in the Tampa/Clearwater area, I routinely hit 35-45 coming down the bridges and have never felt unsafe and had to come off the aerobars. Once I was doing about 41-42 with gusty crosswinds of 15-18mph and while my body was catching the brunt of that, the bike just seem to slice right through pretty nicely. Again, it may be due to having more weight on the bike, but just thought I'd share my 2 cents :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you see me collapse, do NOT touch my Garmin... it has AutoPause now :)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [TriClyde74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting - thanks for the reply. What wheels are you riding? I'm not a clydesdale, but not a featherweight either ~156lbs.

I remember my P2 took a little getting used to / getting comfortable with, but after a month I was at home. Maybe I'm just crazy and/or the bike is taking me longer to get used to...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As for wheels, I'm just using the stock ones that came with the bike right now... I spent the coin on the Quarq power meter instead of the wheel set... for now :) Now, those same crosswind conditions with a set of 808's might be a different story for sure! Also, you likely already know this, but I'd make sure you're fit properly on the bike and have the weight distributed properly (i.e. not too far back on the bike) just to get some weight on that front wheel.

As for comfort, after my fitting was dialed in, I think the Shiv Pro feels like a "barcalounger" in terms of comfort in the aerobars. Just did my first 70.3 last weekend in Panama City Beach and never felt like I needed to come off the bars except for the aid stations and high speed corners/intersections. Good luck and enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rode my first shiv today - I'm shopping for my first tri bike..

Trying to decide if the shiv expert is worth the upgrade over the pro version.
one question, can someone explain the "integrated" aerobars vs the normal ones? I'm aware the integrated is only on the pro/di2/sworks, but aside from groupos which I know the difference between, this is the only thing I don't understand..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davews09 wrote:
Interesting - thanks for the reply. What wheels are you riding? I'm not a clydesdale, but not a featherweight either ~156lbs.

I remember my P2 took a little getting used to / getting comfortable with, but after a month I was at home. Maybe I'm just crazy and/or the bike is taking me longer to get used to...

I'm about your weight and felt unstable at first, particularly cornering at high speeds. I was transitioning from a bike with 650 wheels and felt my center of gravity had changed. I've put about 1000 miles on the Shiv now and feel much more comfortable at high speeds.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Blatant] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't checked every components, but this thread summarizes things:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...0comp%20pro;#3737609
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Past couple weekends I've been riding my Shiv comp with Zipp 999's (808 front and disc rear). I weigh about 163lbs, winds have been 10-15mph with some minor gusts (less than 5mph). Bike handled great in all conditions. Stayed in my aerobars for the downhills getting up to about 36mph with no wobble whatsoever.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Blatant] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I made this same choice.

The Expert's (and Comp's) bars are like a normal stem with the bars attached in the normal way. The Pro (and Sworks) model adds the integration. The stem itself is shaped kinda like an airfoil and the aero base bar is shaped to match. This setup is a *slightly* more aero in the middle between the bars and allows you to move the base bar to a forward or rear position for fitting purposes. Making this same reach change would require a longer/shorter stem on the Expert/Comp models, which is a trivial matter to change.

Aside from that, the base bars are the same so the rest of the bar is the same shape across the models.

Personally I couldn't justify the extra $1100 over the Expert for the Pro model which basically amounts to different components (SRAM Red versus Dura Ace - both the highest end components) and that integrated aero bar. If I want to, later I'll put a Ventus bar or integrated Shimano Pro Missile EVO on my Expert and be more aero for cheaper than had I shelled out the extra $1100 for the Shiv Pro.

Plus the white Shiv looks better than the Pro once you get nice wheels on it. See, e.g. regardint he Shiv Pro's looks: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=3749097
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [concededpenguin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I'll go with the comp due to availability, and budget. I just don't see the value in the expert or pro from a price point. That extra $ for me is better spent on other things than dura ace such as wheels.
Also, I never realised just how stupidly expensive aerobars are.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [jesse@thr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too could get no liquid out of the standard fuelselage - replaced entire tube & valve with camelbak now it works perfectly!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [amagangan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know it's silly to have to come up with workarounds for the water drinking issue, but for those that aren't sure about splicing in their own lines/valves, try holding the mouthpiece at a 45deg angle in your mouth and then bite down and drink. I just happend across this on my first couple of rides and never thought much about it, but the thing works just fine when you do it like this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apologies this info is within this thread already(!), eyeing a potential new purchase & coming around to the Shiv having seen one at a recent race. Thing is, I can't see myself using the internal hydration system, have used straws before & the eventual taste, cleaning problems & also sucking wind (gives me wind!) puts me off.
Hear ya say, 'well don't use the system then' but aren't I then paying for a design feature I'll never use? I never did get if the hydration system was a design 'after thought', i.e. 'lets take advantage of the this massive tubing & install a hydration system' or is in fact the hydration system that drove the size of the down-tube?
The bike would fit me too, bonus! ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [endoverend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the bladder was an afterthought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
may i ask what stem length was used on both bikes?

if the stem length was close on both bikes then it could be that your wheels are causing shimmy on the new bike. try using other wheels at high speed to see if the problem persists.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to add a couple of cents to this ;)

The bladder system was added after the design turned out like it did for the frame. Also, at least with the bite mouthpiece, the water stays put in the tube. So when you go to get your next few sips, it's not like there's a lot of dead air you have extract first before you get the water out of the tube. The water is right there and doesn't take anything to get it out. I'm doing the longer distance stuff this year, so this system works great for me, especially with the speedfill opening. I just grab a water at an aid station and top it off. I can see though if you were doing mainly sprints and redlining most of the ride, that being winded and trying to drink from a tube versus a bottle to blast it down your throat would not be as convenient . Lastly, for what it's worth, my plan is to have only water in the bladder system. No mixes, tablets, gatorade, etc. I have a cage with two bottles on the back for longer rides I use for mixes ("fuel"), but I don't feel like messing around with cleaning the bladder after every ride. Sure, it coumes out easy enough, but cleaning it well is likely a nice chore each time :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriClyde74 wrote:
Just to add a couple of cents to this ;)

The bladder system was added after the design turned out like it did for the frame. Also, at least with the bite mouthpiece, the water stays put in the tube. So when you go to get your next few sips, it's not like there's a lot of dead air you have extract first before you get the water out of the tube. The water is right there and doesn't take anything to get it out. I'm doing the longer distance stuff this year, so this system works great for me, especially with the speedfill opening. I just grab a water at an aid station and top it off. I can see though if you were doing mainly sprints and redlining most of the ride, that being winded and trying to drink from a tube versus a bottle to blast it down your throat would not be as convenient . Lastly, for what it's worth, my plan is to have only water in the bladder system. No mixes, tablets, gatorade, etc. I have a cage with two bottles on the back for longer rides I use for mixes ("fuel"), but I don't feel like messing around with cleaning the bladder after every ride. Sure, it coumes out easy enough, but cleaning it well is likely a nice chore each time :)

Thanks for your reply & good to hear that the bladder design didnt influence the tube/frame design. I'm long-course as well and get by fine with bottle between the bars and a 'feed' bottle on the frame - sucking a straw just seems unnecessary & I used to use a straw/profile bottle; why bother having to refill a bottle/bladder when you can simply replace a bottle on your bars, one motion instead of 2?

Anyways, each to their own etc and it all works of course.

Hows about spares in the bladder space, too small?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Spokesman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
here it is

loving it for 2 months now

Toro Performance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Assumming you didn't have the bladder installed, I'm sure you could rig up something like a small bag that could hold a spare tube and CO2 in that space and not off the saddle.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriClyde74 wrote:

Assumming you didn't have the bladder installed, I'm sure you could rig up something like a small bag that could hold a spare tube and CO2 in that space and not off the saddle.

i've seen this done quite nicely.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [amagangan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
amagangan wrote:
I too could get no liquid out of the standard fuelselage - replaced entire tube & valve with camelbak now it works perfectly!

I"m on an Expert ,,,,,,,,,, and so far HATE the hydration system. It's currently the single biggest cause of fustration in my life! I have swapped out the valve with one off of my Osprey. And that helped a lot. But can't decide which tube to use. You say "Camelbak, but which one? Will the insulated one fit? And has anyone tried the semi rigid -tube director?

And like the ONE time I was actually able to get the bladder installed, filled, and tube unkinked........I swear it changed the handling of the bike. Anyone else noticed this. And one other thing......watch out for the skewers, there's very sharp edges on the hinge part. Sliced my index finger pretty deep yesterday.

CC

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, the bladder space is tight.

I removed the bladder filled it; it'll hold about 30oz outsize the frame, but only about 22oz once it's squeezed into the frame.

On a recent Olympic tri, it ran empty about 4-5 miles from the finish. It works great on Sprints and needs to be refilled just over half way through a HIM.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ChiroCowboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just used the normal blue one that came with one of my camelbaks. I think it's called a pure flow or something. works like a dream

here is a pic of my setup, with 2 rare earth magnets (where the red tape is)
as for putting the bladder in, I did what someone on this thread suggested and used talcum powder which helps. The camelbak tube also doesn't kink which makes bladder insertion easier.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ChiroCowboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChiroCowboy wrote:
amagangan wrote:

I"m on an Expert ,,,,,,,,,, and so far HATE the hydration system. It's currently the single biggest cause of fustration in my life! I have swapped out the valve with one off of my Osprey. And that helped a lot. But can't decide which tube to use. You say "Camelbak, but which one? Will the insulated one fit? And has anyone tried the semi rigid -tube director?

And like the ONE time I was actually able to get the bladder installed, filled, and tube unkinked........I swear it changed the handling of the bike. Anyone else noticed this. And one other thing......watch out for the skewers, there's very sharp edges on the hinge part. Sliced my index finger pretty deep yesterday.

CC

I really like the hydration system, but given this is version 1.0 of a new feature, it requires 3 things to get it working well.

1. Use talcum powder to get it in and out easily.
  2. Use a rare earth magnet to hold the tube in place.
  3. Use camelback bite valve to get easy flow.
I just measured it and I get 24oz into the bladder on a medium frame (including filling the tube up to the bite valve).

I used it on my first sprint race (20 mile bike) and it worked great - no need for extra bottles at this distance.

I notice no handling difference at all. If anything, I would think it would help to make things more stable in high wind conditions.

I had it out on a longish ride today so had 2 water bottles in addition to the fuselage bladder. It felt like my water bottles got warmer much faster than the internal hydration system - not sure. I suppose it would be an easy thing to test - maybe Mark Cote and his merry men at specialized could test this out for us and give us the results. If true, it would be a very useful marketing tool.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [jesse@thr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Shiv Comp with a mostly black paint job and my bladder trends to warm up much faster than the insulated bottle in a cage.
Quote Reply

Prev Next