Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

For you 60-65 year old triathletes
Quote | Reply
For you senior triathletes (much RESPECT!), which of the disciplines do you find dropping off in ability the most, and do you think it's more a matter of aging or other factors?

I'd speculate that swimming would see the least dropoff given the nonweightbearing and technique-related nature of it, but I could be wrong. Fish & ex-fish feel free to chime in!
Quote Reply
Re: For you 60-65 year old triathletes [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I didn't have a running injury right now..........

Actually, I agree that it's running, even though (until recently) it was my best discipline relative to the others. My riding continues to improve, but that may simply be due to the fact that I was late to that game and, only in the last few years have had a really good position--thanks to Slowman.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the run is unquestionably affected most by age, because of the higher impact and stresses involved. If you take a look at some tri results of the better people in 60+ age groups, you'll see that their swim and bike legs are usually ranked higher overall than their run legs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am only 59 years old but for me it has been recovery that has reduced as I have aged. Specifically for me after a gradual decline from my 40s was when I got to 54 then the decline steepened. By declining recovery I mean it now takes longer to recover than in the past and as it does so then I cannot train as hard or as much as I did. So my metrics, time, heart rate, power etc have reduced. However you can addapt and I know myself better than I did when I was younger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run

Ron W.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No question, running. But, it seems to start around 50. Just look at race results from 50 and up. Many continue to kick butt in the swim and bike, but run, very very few run well. After 60, just gets worse.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never raced swimming or biking until I did my first triathlon at age 55 - 11 years ago. I'm pleased to say that I'm still improving, although I'll never be fast in the water or on the bike (although I'm hoping I bought some speed with my fancy new bike. I've been running since the early 70's. I'm not nearly as fast running as I was then, but I am faster than I was 11 years ago - due to an improved running style.

Since I started triathlons, I've been in five to eight races per year since 2001 - some of them as many as nine times. My total times in the races I've done repeatedly have generally been course-PR's for me. Although I'm very slow compared to the young bucks who win the races, I do manage do podium in most races now. Of course I compete against a bunch of old guys.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 64 and have been doing tri's for 19+ years. Actually the last 2 years I have seen my run times improve, but I was a lousy runner to begin with. Have worked with a running coach and worked on proper shoes and technique. Has made a difference. If anything it is mental knowing that you can last an IM or a marathon where before always had some doubt. Worked on dropping my weight by 10+ lbs. and dropped body fat to 12.5% which I think has helped injuries , run time etc.

More recovery has been for me the key. No longer feel guilty if I get up and realize I am just too tired to workout today. I use resting heart rate the final decider. For me anything over 44 RHR I stay in and work on stretching etc. Luckily have never had a running injury .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with the others...definitely the run. I started doing tris in the mid-80s and my swim & bike times are pretty much the same today as they were then. My run is 1:30/mile slower. I think some of it is due to the fact that I'm 20lbs heavier now. Being skinny at 35 is much easier to do than it is at 61.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running has dropped off the most. It is certainly related to the aging process, but if one can avoid injuries significant slowing can be delayed somewhat. In the end youth will be served, but its still fun to get out there and test your limits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The areas where the most drop off happens is, for me at least, strength. Muscle loss as you age can be dramatic and fast. Stop for even a short while and the speed at which you lose muscle is stunning.

I can swim reasonably well and my IM time has slowed only about 5 minutes over the last 15 years. I swam within 5 minute of my pb with only a modest investment in training for the last IM that I entered. Distance swimming is is all technique and aerobic capacity. If you look at Ryan Cochrane, who is a world class 1500M swimmer, he is positively scrawny compared the 100M guys. So technique, technique, technique. Of course as we all tend to get stuck in our ways I seldom see an older swimmer improve.

The bike is altogether another story. I would venture that older competitors have benifitted the most from the new bike technology. With a good, comfortable fit and a reasonable aerobic engine the loss of performance is quite small. I improved by over an hour on IM distance after moving to a better more comfortable bike. The caveat is that with the muscle loss that is inevitable, hills can knock you about. I finished the last hill at IMC on one leg (to all intents) because of bad advice (that I was silly enough to take) about gearing. Never ask a 30 year old for advice if you are 60. Ask a seventy year old.

Running is where I think most older competitors lose the most. Any look at stand alone running races and the results will tell the story very quickly. You cannot train as hard, your recovery period is longer and your ability to handle the stress on your body is diminished. I used to run everyday, now it's every 2nd day. Although my run times have not gone completely south (except on the longer events), my AG run placement has improved.

However having said all that I realise that it applies equally well to every age group, it's just more noticeable at 60+
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My running time has slowed but that was due to a PF flare up. At 56 I was still running an 18:20 5K but now at 60 I am at 19:30 for the 5K. But I believe that is due to a lack of speed work as I was doing more short distance road races. I still believe that if I added speed work I could get below 19 minutes for the 5k. My bike and swim times do not seem to have dropped off much at all, although I was never a great swimmer, usually middle of the pack at IMLP. Last year's bike was similar to the year before at IMLP and also at Tupper Lake. I am hoping that is still the case this year as I will be doing both of those races again. I ran a sub-4 hour marathon off the bike at IMLP and believe I can still do that this year. I think the run times for shorter distance triathlons are harder to duplicate as I get older than are the run times for longer distance races. If the race requires speed over endurance the speed is definitely in decline from my mid 50's to now that I am 60.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't get any faster, so my game plan is just to out live the other old bastards. If you doubt me, just look at the total number of older athletes on any events results page. Staying alive and making it to the finish line is winning. Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree that the run has sufffered the most. I try not to run two days in a row which is easier in the spring/summer/autumn than in Wisconsin winters. My knees have had the most decline, but regular 3-4 hour bike sessions between runs keeps things juiced.
Quote Reply
Re: For you 60-65 year old triathletes [cervelorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amen. Drop off in racers is precipitous. At IM Tx this year we had I think 37 in the AG . In 65-69 there were 10 or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good read
http://lavamagazine.com/...s-key/#axzz1vhbC9UR9

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At 67, I've noticed quite a drop off in both swimming and running (Never a cyclist before - so no basis for comparison there...). In my early 40's I could run a 10k in about 37 min - now I'd be very hard pressed to come within 11 or 12 minutes of that. As a former fish, I could still break a minute for a 100 (scy) in my 40's - now 1:20 would be a major effort (think heart attack major!) BTW in 1965, I was able to do 100(scy) in :52, and 1650 in 18-19min, now ~25-26min. (Still FOP in 56-69 though)
Due to medical problems, the last year, or so, has been especially bad. Besides the obvious age drop offs, I believe the medical problems associated with aging and hard training are the greatest cause of slowing... (think prostate, thyroid and BP as culprits)

(tag line predates this thread...)

Remember Luddites are people too...
Quote Reply