Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [rebem] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You think they could come up with something better and not so damn ugly. They should hire Tillquist to create some of their items because he obviously has a better eye than their current designers.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
%FTP wrote:
You inspired me to get out the dremel...

what metal did you use? i need to make one for my TT bike but i need to make it come back over the stem level to the floor so i can read it.

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [bmeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1/16 inch thick 1-1/2 inch wide aluminum strip
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [godseyt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One step further, without the Profile mount:

With the zipties tight enough, it doesn't bounce, and it's nicely in my field of view just looking down (no head tilt required). With the Garmin mounted, I run one strip of clear adhesive tape over the computer and under the lower zip ties, ensuring that it's all pressed together, so it ends up being fairly stable. It would probably work without the tape, but I've stripped the slips from the twist-lock mount (see this), which requires something else to prevent it from ejecting.

Ricardo Wickert | Team Magnesium Pur - Germany | My sporadically updated blog: The Thin Grad Line | My team-issued TT bike: Trek Speed Concept 9

2015 Sponsors & Partners: Magnesium Pur | Ullmax | B&W Bike Cases | Ristorante La Dolce Vita | Trek Bikes via Bici-Sport Binder
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [Tillquist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would also like to purchase. I think you are on to something here. Please keep us updated with further developement and future availability!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On your weight of 12.8g, does this include the additional length of the 2 stem bolts? or is this for just the mount?

Excellent work BTW.

Todd Gould
http://www.romevelo.net
Go Harder!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [steepcreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
steepcreek wrote:
On your weight of 12.8g, does this include the additional length of the 2 stem bolts? or is this for just the mount?

Excellent work BTW.

It's just the mount.

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [notAswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
notAswimmer wrote:
rlanger wrote:
I use a Bontrager mount designed for their Node computers. Works great.

I decided to take this idea one step further. Went to my local Trek store, ordered Trek Part #424838 for $20. To my surprise , it came in official looking Bontrager packaging:

This mount is well built and crazy adjustable. Problem is, the Garmin base has rounded edges:

I decided to dremel the rounded edges and rubber band catches off the Garmin base, flip the little set screw around in the Bontrager mount, and then use two washers to take up the gap in the mount so the Garmin base sits perfectly flat. The base has a hole right in the center as well, so the Bontrager set screw fits perfectly inside. Here's a quick mspaint:

After some work with the Dremel, the edges are gone and the Garmin base is flat. This picture also shows the reversed set screw in the Bontrager mount:

Drop some superglue on the set screw, add the two washers. More superglue on the mount where it meets the modified Garmin base, and drop on the base. Notice that the set screw is recessed nicely into the Garmin mount so the Edge 500 can snap on without any issues. Also, the tabs on either side of the base that secure the unit are free to flex and hold the Edge 500 in place as designed by Garmin.

Here's the finished product. The mount is completely adjustable; you can move it as high or as low as you want. There's a bit of a space between the unit and the bar, so I assume it would fit a Edge 800 as well.

Simple, adjustable, and works great. I like that some vendors are stepping up here, but I haven't seen something that beats DIY just yet.

I just used the same mount on my P3, run between the aerobars. I would highly recommend not using super glue. Instead, if you keep the bolt as you show (in the 1st diagram), just flip the mount by loosening the allen screw on the side. If you put a small hole in the center of the garmin mount the screw will go right in and mount up as designed. No need for super glue (although a little blue loc-tite is probably a good idea).

Heres a crappy cell phone picture of mine, and the nokon I just added for a cleaner run out of the Zipp bars.

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [cendres] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

i have PRO handlebar so love to buy one Garmin 500 custom mount from you.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [PaintIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [Aralo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Finally, a decent looking, production quality piece. It lacks the second swivel adjustability of the Bontrager DIY mount, but adds the ability to move the unit closer to the bars. I hear K-Edge makes good stuff too.

Since I need to order a chain catcher for my new 'cross bike anyway, I might pick this up as well. I don't see it on their website yet, but the distributors seem to have it already.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
K-edge makes amazing stuff. I have their Go-pro mounts and actually knew about these a few months ago, just waiting for them to start shipping.....

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [secondchancepro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
secondchancepro wrote:
notAswimmer wrote:
rlanger wrote:
I use a Bontrager mount designed for their Node computers. Works great.

I decided to take this idea one step further. Went to my local Trek store, ordered Trek Part #424838 for $20. To my surprise , it came in official looking Bontrager packaging:

This mount is well built and crazy adjustable. Problem is, the Garmin base has rounded edges:

I decided to dremel the rounded edges and rubber band catches off the Garmin base, flip the little set screw around in the Bontrager mount, and then use two washers to take up the gap in the mount so the Garmin base sits perfectly flat. The base has a hole right in the center as well, so the Bontrager set screw fits perfectly inside. Here's a quick mspaint:

After some work with the Dremel, the edges are gone and the Garmin base is flat. This picture also shows the reversed set screw in the Bontrager mount:

Drop some superglue on the set screw, add the two washers. More superglue on the mount where it meets the modified Garmin base, and drop on the base. Notice that the set screw is recessed nicely into the Garmin mount so the Edge 500 can snap on without any issues. Also, the tabs on either side of the base that secure the unit are free to flex and hold the Edge 500 in place as designed by Garmin.

Here's the finished product. The mount is completely adjustable; you can move it as high or as low as you want. There's a bit of a space between the unit and the bar, so I assume it would fit a Edge 800 as well.

Simple, adjustable, and works great. I like that some vendors are stepping up here, but I haven't seen something that beats DIY just yet.

I just used the same mount on my P3, run between the aerobars. I would highly recommend not using super glue. Instead, if you keep the bolt as you show (in the 1st diagram), just flip the mount by loosening the allen screw on the side. If you put a small hole in the center of the garmin mount the screw will go right in and mount up as designed. No need for super glue (although a little blue loc-tite is probably a good idea).

Heres a crappy cell phone picture of mine, and the nokon I just added for a cleaner run out of the Zipp bars.

This is a perfect solution for me. I have a 310xt and all these mounts are meant for the edge computers. The 310xt quick mount interface is rotated 45* form the edge tabs. Now I can orient it the correct way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you willing to sell this mount? I need one pls thanks Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [nws alpine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I finally got around to making a new direct mount version. This time out of ~1/16 thick stainless steel. This is much harder to work with than the aluminum, but is really strong. My aluminum mount started to fail at the 90 degree bend. I avoided that kind of bend with the stainless. It took a few extra washers to clear the stem faceplate, but you get the idea. Garmin is inline with top of stem. Garmin is very secure, but I use one rubberband around garmin and mount to make sure it doesn't accidentally get twisted off.

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [PaintIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's what I came up with last weekend:

I probably broke a rule here but it has been working well for me...

When you stop doing things for fun, you might as well be dead. -Hemingway
Last edited by: jimifan73: Jun 30, 12 14:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone use a shim to make the K-Edge work with 26.0 bars?

If so which one worked for you.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My LBS is actually having problems getting their hands on the K-Edge mount for me. Any time it shows up in the computer, they show as sold-out almost immediately. I do see the unit on K-Edge's website now, but it also notes that the unit is "out of stock":

http://www.acecosportgroup.com/...for-garmin-edge.html

Has anyone ordered and received this mount yet?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [nws alpine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got the mount and was able to build it in about 30 mins. I put the screw through the hole in the center of the garmin mount and then drilled one more small hole with a bolt and nut to keep it from twisting or moving. The mount is extremely secure and doesn't move at all. Very clean too.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
notAswimmer wrote:
My LBS is actually having problems getting their hands on the K-Edge mount for me. Any time it shows up in the computer, they show as sold-out almost immediately. I do see the unit on K-Edge's website now, but it also notes that the unit is "out of stock":

http://www.acecosportgroup.com/...for-garmin-edge.html

Has anyone ordered and received this mount yet?

The Barfly mount will be available to most shops around 7/13. However, there are over 100 shops/chains that have it on their watchlist so the shops need to be quick to order.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [jeffmpollock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently purchased the bar fly and kedge for the Garmin Edge 500
I really didn't find anything I liked so I decided to make my own out of carbon fiber. I formed the fiber to a cabon fiber Control tech stem cap.
A Garmin mount is flushed into the top of the mount. The mount is very solid. I made my own mount to my liking somewhat matching the bike/frame's lines - here are some pics[/url][/img][/url][/img][/url][/img]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In case you're gauging interest in these mounts....I would buy 3.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [Cmikul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which mounts are you referring to?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll buy one when your done! They look great!

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could you mount in reverse on the top bolts?

I'm interested also however for my MTB I would want to protect the computer a bit more. There reverse mount would allow of this :)

Sign me up...I'd pickup a couple (maybe more to pass around to friends).
Quote Reply

Prev Next