Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [AtoZion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope becoming a 70.3 will atract more people to the area as it is so special and full of some of the nicest people in the country. The legacy that the x3 Ironman event has produced will continue and is now available to a wider base that want an honest tough course somewhere unique, pick here or Branson if you want your new medal to really mean something more.

Good luck, I will be back!
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [krash187] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Incredible. Hard to believe the lack of response on this thread. SG went from infamous to legendary yesterday. This was absolutely the most difficult race in IM history. The most obvious and telling three facts. Slowest average finish by an eternal 9 minutes, 13:52. Finish time by a winner 9:07. Mike Reilly the voice of IM can never recall a race won in more than 9 hours. Ben Hoffman was 19 minutes up on second place...after he was literally blown off the course by the wind. The fastest age grouper was over 10:05. And finally the most telling stat: 29 % DNF rate. The scary thing is, as bad as the swim was the bike was worse! 19% did not make the bike cutoff. Which in itself is equivalent to the highest previous record for failure to complete in an entire race (St George 2011). This after they made the marathon course easier! Mixed feelings for me. After completing this monster in 10 and 11 might have been nice to say I did it all three years and finished the toughest race EVER! Knowing my luck I would have again lost my timing chip and not gotten n official time. St George you are gone, but you have assured yourself you will never be forgotten!
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [twothbeave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Were you listening to this as you posted that?

http://www.youtube.com/...yer_detailpage#t=17s

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
twothbeave wrote:
Incredible. Hard to believe the lack of response on this thread. SG went from infamous to legendary yesterday. This was absolutely the most difficult race in IM history. The most obvious and telling three facts. Slowest average finish by an eternal 9 minutes, 13:52. Finish time by a winner 9:07. Mike Reilly the voice of IM can never recall a race won in more than 9 hours. Ben Hoffman was 19 minutes up on second place...after he was literally blown off the course by the wind. The fastest age grouper was over 10:05. And finally the most telling stat: 29 % DNF rate. The scary thing is, as bad as the swim was the bike was worse! 19% did not make the bike cutoff. Which in itself is equivalent to the highest previous record for failure to complete in an entire race (St George 2011). This after they made the marathon course easier! Mixed feelings for me. After completing this monster in 10 and 11 might have been nice to say I did it all three years and finished the toughest race EVER! Knowing my luck I would have again lost my timing chip and not gotten n official time. St George you are gone, but you have assured yourself you will never be forgotten!
In Reply To:

----

Mike has a short memory...Perhaps he meant that in the last decade or so he can't remember a 9hr plus win.....Tough day and a huge shame that it will be the last time for an IM in St George.

---
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [BarbBikeTechie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So sorry to hear about all that. There was a lot of "unfairness" out there. My training and traveling partner in his first attempt at the distance, was pulled from the water. It was 30 minutes into the race, he was behind most of the starters but ahead of some. He was instructed to get in the boat, no choice. I don't really have a problem with that as I understand the swim director was doing the best job he could. But ultimately he didn't have the opportunity to finish a race that he trained so hard for. And there were many others like him, given no choice despite being ahead of people who ultimately finished the swim. Oh well, it was a crazy day, and we are very fortunate nobody died

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The thoughts that went through my head during the swim, starting at 1000m

Where the hell did that wave come from?

Is it raining?

oh, I get it now, it's a windstorm, duh

Can I swim 1800m into this?

Maybe it's just a 5 minute deal...

Could this have come at a worse time, or from a worse direction?

Maybe if I swim way to the right, that mountain (15 miles away) will offer some protection

Where did everybody go

When are the boats gonna come out here with a megaphone and tell us the swim is cancelled?

Finally there's THE ROCK

Wow, I can't wait to swim downwind

So an hour and a half later, I return to land, to find gozillions of transition bags and bikes. Crazy

Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [Terra-Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was there yesterday and started the swim..this was to be my first full distance, and by no means am I a strong swimmer. Swim time was likely gonna be around 1:25-1:30 (based on pool times and 70.3 swim times). Plan was just to take my time, get through it and then go for it on bike and run...

Was having a pretty good swim, just before the first turn buoy noticed the spray, and could t figure out where it was coming from.... Then a few minutes later the chop got bad. I turned the first buoy and started for the 300m portion with no intentions of stopping. Was feeling fine...stopped for one second to hang onto a board, in order to get my bearings, as couldn't even see buoy's for the chop...as I'm about to start swimming, the swim director pulled up in his motorized raft and told me to get in..he didn't give me a choice. Had he asked me if I wanted to get in, I would have said no. ( There were several hundred people behind me still swimming), and I didn't argue with him..we then stopped and picked up around 10 more that were ordered to get in the boat...the swim director, was obviously very concerned about everyone in the water, and had it been feasible he probably would have cancelled the swim in the middle of it, but how do you do that with 1400 or so swimmers at various points? He said 10 minutes earlier and the swim would have never happened. to be with the swim director during those tense 20 minutes was interesting. His main concern was every swimmers safety, and rightfully so given that most of the swim support was in danger as well. I saw one kayaker that flipped and we had to pull him in, as he was really struggling to stay afloat, and then there was the boat that took in so much water it started to sink and had to be towed to shore..

My biggest disappointment was that I put a lot into this race financially. St george is a long way from mississippi! On the bright side, training for this race gave me an even better fitness base for the summer. While bummed that I didn't get to finish, that really isn't that big of a deal to me. I like this sport because I enjoy training, enjoy racing, and meeting the people.

They ended up letting us do the bike and the run.. I chose to do the bike and passed on the run bc have been dealing with a hip issue and didn't see the point in making it worse. Did the bike in 6:10 (unofficially obviously but official by my garmin :) it was quite the training ride to say the least..

Within the rescue raft I was on, there were four people who had done more than one IM...one guy was a 1:08 swimmer. A couple of 1:15-1:20's, and a 1:25...found it interesting that several of folks who were pulled had experience withmass start OWS at this distance..
Last edited by: rebmd: May 7, 12 7:01
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [Terra-Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Terra-Man wrote:
So an hour and a half later, I return to land, to find gozillions of transition bags and bikes. Crazy

Same thing, I was also VERY shocked at the number of bags/bikes in transition when I came thru...

Does anyone have any statistics on IM DNF's and previous hardest races?????

I'd be really interested to know if this was the "hardest" Ironman to date. Surely someone has charts and graphs to measure up finishing times, total DNF's and such to compare.

This is ten percent LUCK, twenty percent SKILL
Fifteen percent concentrated POWER OF WILL
Five percent PLEASURE, fifty percent PAIN
And a hundred percent reason to be IN THIS GAME!
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [adventureboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike said at the awards that the DNF rate wasn't the highest ever, IM Loisville holds that distinction due to heat.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you see how far the roll down went in 40-44?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my age group male 50-54, there were 82 starters and 50 finishers...brutal. My guess is that this race attracts a more experienced level of athlete than say, Arizona or Florida. So simple DNF rate not necessarily comparable. Sorta like comparing course times and dnf rates at St. Croix and New Orleans...

But whatever, it was a tough day, and there were some outstanding and inspiring performances out there...kudos to Bryan and others...

Last edited by: Terra-Man: May 7, 12 8:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well Mike's short memory may have failed him on this as well. Louisville 2010. Puhleeseee! 16% IMSG 2010 14%, IMSG 2011 18% (worst previous) IN 2012 29%!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For Bryan and Adventure Boy,

http://www.runtri.com/...onman+st+george+2012

The stats are shocking! I guess it was 19% last year, it's in the rounding! As I said before this is just legendary!
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
JimMoss wrote:
KonaDreamer wrote:
Iwont be long until they pull the plug on the 70.3 race also.
It literally has nothing going for it that would draw a big 70.3 crowd.

K - I'll name one thing going for it. It's 294 miles straight shot south on I-15 from Salt Lake City. The sport continues to grow in Salt Lake City. Most athletes can stomach training indoors on a trainer for a 70.3 in the early build. We get enough good weather days outside in SLC from March-April to get in some longer outside rides. Having said this, I realize that to sell out there will need to be a large number of participants from NV, AZ, CA and other locations to make it a sell out. But I doubt there's a "pull the plug" in the future for the new 70.3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I'm home now and am trying to find a video of the swim (at the southern portion of the lake). The other thread on this topic has degenerated to where I don't care to reply so I'll ask on this one; anyone seen something posted that portrays what we saw at lake level? I believe my senses have been restored and I sure don't recall it being one ft chop out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wondering if the link for st George stats takes into account those who got a time for the swim, bc I was a DNF on the swim and they gave me a time of 2:23... A lot of us they took our chips but Still gave us a swim time, and no bike time
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes of course it's going to be that high but remember they pulled all the chips off at mile 66 begining sometime after 2 - 2:30 pm on the bike so it was an arbitary decision. So people didn't get to try to make it to the 5:30 pm bike DNF. So anyone with a slow swim time in the brutal conditions got screwed from the start.
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [LayLow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had no intention of doing this race this year. Then when they announced it would be a 70.3 i thought awe crap I better go do it for the last time (entered in 2010). So the Tuesday before the race I went to the local rec center to make sure I could still swim 2.4. After banging it out in a little over an hour I convinced my wife I could get through it she gave me the go ahead nod. I have boated on sand hollow, work at a boat dealership, own a boat and that was the nastiest storm I have ever seen come up that fast. After the first turn buoy I just remember looking north and seeing the huge dust cloud blowing way off in the distance and thinking this isn't good. After the second turn buoy now swimming straight into the wind I remember just laughing out loud thinking this has got to be one of the dumbest things I have ever done. 4 to 5 foot waves is no exaggeration I think there were a couple that probably pushed right around 6 feet. I wish I could have swam with a go-pro.

The finally red turn buoy got blown off and stuck on the island so who knows how far anyone swam. I saw people swimming all over that lake. I went to the last orange one and called it good before turning for the exit. My hats off to the two volunteers out there in the inboard ski boats. That is the kind of storm we see that sinks our customers boats. Once you dip the bow once or twice they start to fill up like a bathtub and the the inevitable happens.

As I crossed the line at 14:14ish I had two thoughts, I am never doing another IM followed closely by you pussy you could have done it faster but you got beat mentally.
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [AtoZion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have so many thoughts about this race...or should I call it my mental Ironman, my day of survival. Sitting here 2 days out from the race and having read all of the previous posts I am here to give you my perspective. Two of my buddies that started the swim were pulled from the water. Both have completed Ironman distance races before. I finished the swim. Why?? Because I didn't see another option. I think those that were close to the boats or the kayaks chose that option. Some were not given the option. That is because it was scary out there. No one would go out for an open water swim in those conditions. One of my friends was sitting on the boat trying to decide whether or not to continue and saw the swimmers floundering, being pushed around by the water and thought, "We are going to have a problem here. All of these people need to be saved and there are not enough boats to save everyone." He made the decision to call it a day. I may have called it a day as well had I been given the option but I did not see any way out of the water except to get through the swim. I am not a strong swimmer. My other two IMSG swims were 1:19. I did this one in 1:52. I have no idea how far I swam but I do know I found all of the red buoys. The yellow ones were nowhere to be found. The truth is that no one can pass judgment on this swim course unless they were in the midst of it. I started swimming 3.5 years ago. I have always done my swim training in a pool. I kept wondering if there was some sort of technique to swimming in water like this. I have no idea how people posted such fast swim times. I felt like I was moving about an inch every stroke. I would stop every 3-4 strokes and look for anything reassuring...a pink cap, a green cap, a buoy. Most of the time all I saw was water. The waves had the effect of someone slapping you repeatedly. I lost all sense of time. It was only about getting done with the swim. I kept thinking (hoping) that the wind was only at Sand Hollow. I knew the north wind would've been worst case scenario on the bike.

And so my feet finally found the ground. My neighbor was there and stripped my wetsuit. Her only comment, "Good job battling through that." Thinking back on T1 I can remember it being a much more subdued atmosphere than the previous two years. I am thinking there were a lot of stressed family members. I know my friend's wife, daughter, and parents were all extremely panicked, tears and all. He was planning on swimming around 1:10. The boat got him to shore at about 2:05.

I was so happy to be out of the water and on my bike, only to be immediately beaten by wind. I hardly ever bike outside. I am a mom with three small children and I work full time nights as a nurse. My life is not such that I have much workout freedom. When I have an hour to bike I choose the computrainer. I am not accustomed to riding in wind AT ALL. But...when you have been in a situation where your only train of thought is survival, your perspective changes. At least that is what happened to me. My whole outlook on the day changed. I was glad to be alive. Glad I was on my bike. Glad to FEEL alive. And when those strong bursts of wind came at me I thought, "You will not defeat me!"

This race did not defeat me. I survived to the end. Was it pretty? NO!!! Those who came out on top, I applaud you. I wanted to finish well. I wanted to finish strong. I wanted to better my time. It didn't happen. But...for the first time in 3 years I LOVED the wall. Ended up being my favorite part of the bike. I am a huge believer in choosing your attitude. I feel bad for those who feel like they were shafted. The truth is, what is done is done. These are races. These are one day events. IRONMAN is not LIFE. Be happy you are alive and safe and with the people you love and those who love you.

Thank you IMSG! I have to admit that the thought did cross my mind, "I am glad I don't have to make the decision whether or not to do this Ironman next year!" But, I am stoked for the 70.3. All three years of this awesome event were VERY different. I feel privileged to have been able to conquer IMSG.
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [aicall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, great race report.
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been frustrated with my 910XT: first one filled up with water and died at Southbeach tri in Miami, and now the second one turns off when I try to follow courses. But, the $399 was worth the scientific proof that I finished the 2012 IMSG swim leg!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/175826129

I had the autolap set on 500 yds...check out the splits: 5:46, 5:59, 6:06 (looking like a 52 minute swim!), 8:18 (hey, why are the boats creating so much wake), 9:51 (wow, where'd the storm come from?), 10:10 (Lt. Dan in Forrest Gump: "Is that all you got!?!?), ...

I decided before I even left the park on the bike that this was no longer a race, but survival...I was not going to DNF. I'm in awe of all those that not just finished but actually raced.

Slowest Iron-distance race I've ever done, but one of the proudest accomplishments. This is why races like this should continue. I don't think anyone signed up for this race thinking it was going to be easy, even with the run course change. Very disappointed that they've cancelled such a unique event in only it's 3rd year but glad that I got to participate this year.
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [deh20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
9th IM at IMSG this year.
I wanted to quick sooooo bad.
When I got to the Veyo wall I about cried.
I kept plugging away.
Have done IMLOU last 3 years( all 12:xx times)
Did 16:17 on Saturday.
I went to a place I have have never been.
It will be the medal I remember as the hardest I ever won!

Michael in Kansas
"Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit"
"Its not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up" Lombardi
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My mother-in-law called on Saturday to say that she was watching the race on TV and saw tons of swimmers getting pulled out of the water. She lives in Salt Lake - anyone else up there know about the event being televised live?

Tom - Phoenix Patent Attorney & Triathlete
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear you mate! I am still seeing vividly the waves and have good memories of some serious waves (for a lake). My father has video that is grainy and hard to see (he was the boat ramp trying to video the far end, but you can easily pick out the big waves and see the kayaks being tossed aside and boats pitching up and down severely. I would love to see some photos from any of the rescue boats who were on the far end of the course, as the photos of the run into the shore don't even remotely show the true picture.

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [aicall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, your description was brilliant and am so glad you finished. WELL DONE!

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply

Prev Next