Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
National Harbor 70.3 canned
Quote | Reply
This was going to be both my first Half and WTC experience. Targeted the season around it. PISSED!
Quote Reply
Re: National Harbor 70.3 canned [a_thomasmr23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Email text:

Dear Ironman 70.3 National Harbor Athlete,

The inaugural Ironman 70.3 National Harbor Triathlon has been cancelled. Athletes registered for the event will receive a full refund of their entry and processing fees.

Refunds will be issued within 30 days and will be credited to the card used for registration through the Active Network.

Ironman is committed to helping participants reach their goal of racing an Ironman 70.3 in 2012 and will further offer each athlete impacted by the cancellation a $50 discount to one of the events listed below:

• Ironman 70.3 Mooseman – Newfound Lake, NH - Sunday, June 3

• Ironman 70.3 Boise - Boise, Idaho - Saturday, June 9

• Ironman 70.3 Kansas - Lawrence, KS - Sunday, June 10

• Ironman 70.3 Syracuse - Syracuse, NY - Sunday, June 24

• Ironman 70.3 Muncie - Muncie, IN - Saturday, July 7

• Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island - Providence, RI - Sunday, July 8

• Ironman 70.3 Racine - Racine, WI - Sunday, July 15

• Ironman 70.3 Timberman - Gilford, NH - Sunday, Aug. 19

• Ironman 70.3 Steelhead - Benton Harbor, MI - Sunday, Aug. 19

• Ironman 70.3 Muskoka - Huntsville, ON (Canada) - Sunday, Sept. 9

• Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Augusta, GA - Sunday, Sept. 30

• Ironman 70.3 Austin - Austin, Texas - Sunday, Oct. 28

Ironman will email each Ironman 70.3 National Harbor athlete a unique discount code within one week. The discount and code are non-transferable and for one-time use only. The discount is restricted to new registrations and will not be offered on existing entries. Entries will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis, and if an event closes during this time, it will no longer be available. This offer will expire on Oct. 1, 2012.

Please contact info@IronmanNationalHarbor.com with questions.

Thank you for your understanding and patience through this process. We wish you the best of luck with your training and racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The registration link was still open. I am not going to go through all the stuff to actually see if it works but it might be worth it to get the 50 buck discount to the other race. Too bad I am already planned for the year.

Disco
South Bend, IN

Habitual Line Stepper..
Quote Reply
Re: National Harbor 70.3 canned [triscooteremu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got the e-mail, too--unfortunately. I was really looking forward to this race. Luckily, I still have Eagleman (no worries about that one being cancelled). DC Triathlon gets kaboshed, and now this. Seems like post-Fenty DC is declaring war on triathlons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was going to be my son's first 70.3 as well. Did they give a reason why it was canceled?
Quote Reply
Re: National Harbor 70.3 canned [2SGTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FUDGE

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah this really screws up my season too. I think my only option is Timberman, as the others on the list that are geographically acceptable are all too early.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there's a story on this on the front page. not much to add beyond what the e-blast said. i can tell you that WTC was taken aback, surprised, caught off-guard. i can't see where they are at fault here, tho i don't know why the race was canceled. i did talk to WSEM. they did not tell me why the race was canceled. it seems a mystery to just about everyone except WSEM.

i know the WSEM folks, and they've moved from rising stars in the world of triathlon production to just flat-out stars. they're great at what they do. top flight. among the best.

therefore, i'm scratching my head. there's certainly a very good reason why this race was canceled, because a lot of athletes are not inconvenienced. but i don't know what it is. it's not race entries. it seemed as if this race was poised to sell out. mystifying.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: National Harbor 70.3 canned [triannasaurus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Except that the National Harbor is in MD...

I hope that Nations Tri isn't going to be canned, too, as it's the MidAtlantic qualifier.
Quote Reply
Re: National Harbor 70.3 canned [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With two races cancelled looks more like they are falling or failing stars

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: National Harbor 70.3 canned [triannasaurus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triannasaurus wrote:
Got the e-mail, too--unfortunately. I was really looking forward to this race. Luckily, I still have Eagleman (no worries about that one being cancelled). DC Triathlon gets kaboshed, and now this. Seems like post-Fenty DC is declaring war on triathlons.

What idiot voted for Gray anyway?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Via dcrainmakers route recon I'm thinking that that they might of had permit problems with closing that main drag for the bike leg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I predicted this one when Ray Maker (DC Rainmaker) had to tell them that portions of their proposed run course were un-runable.

Bob
Quote Reply
Re: National Harbor 70.3 canned [Macho Grande] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do athletes have to give back the black headsweats hats void of all logos, etc. that were mailed out to registrants? I thought that was odd. Not that everyone doesn't appreciate a free hat, but it was interesting that they wasted the opportunity to advertise the event with a logo on the hat. Perhaps a premonition?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is a part of Obama's and the Democrats: 'War on Triathlon'

All you one percenters thinking you could ruin a perfectly viable "Occupy" protest................

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Re: National Harbor 70.3 canned [Sam Apoc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sam Apoc wrote:
triannasaurus wrote:

As a side note for those outside of the DC area, no part of this race actually went into the District, thus, the direct powers of a post-Fenty world weren't likely at play. Now, indirect, potentially.

One has to remember that the Hot Chocolate Fiasco really ticked off a LOT of Maryland local officials. Even though this is an entirely different company, I could easily some official simply making a blanket statement that says "No races at National Harbor, period."

Or, as noted above, they may have realized that the run course just wasn't going to work (kinda strange they never bothered to go run the run course prior to me trying). Though, there were some alternatives one could have come up with - it wouldn't have been too tough. The bike course would have been ugly scenery wise, and potentially traffic-wise after the Hot Chocolate thing and the ramificaitons of that finally trickled down over the months since.

Whatever the case, it's super-poor they don't offer an explanation. Sending out an e-mail at 5PM Local time saying "Sorry, tough luck", without anything more. While still leaving their site up for registrations, and no comment on the site, FaceBook, Twitter or anything else is just poor form.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It will be interesting to see how long it will be before WTC announces another race. They seem to bring on several new ones a year. This year, they lost two (well, one and a half)
Quote Reply
Re: National Harbor 70.3 canned [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A bigger and more "important" event came along, that's the "explanation"

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Re: National Harbor 70.3 canned [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:
Sam Apoc wrote:
triannasaurus wrote:

As a side note for those outside of the DC area, no part of this race actually went into the District, thus, the direct powers of a post-Fenty world weren't likely at play. Now, indirect, potentially.

One has to remember that the Hot Chocolate Fiasco really ticked off a LOT of Maryland local officials. Even though this is an entirely different company, I could easily some official simply making a blanket statement that says "No races at National Harbor, period."

Or, as noted above, they may have realized that the run course just wasn't going to work (kinda strange they never bothered to go run the run course prior to me trying). Though, there were some alternatives one could have come up with - it wouldn't have been too tough. The bike course would have been ugly scenery wise, and potentially traffic-wise after the Hot Chocolate thing and the ramificaitons of that finally trickled down over the months since.

Whatever the case, it's super-poor they don't offer an explanation. Sending out an e-mail at 5PM Local time saying "Sorry, tough luck", without anything more. While still leaving their site up for registrations, and no comment on the site, FaceBook, Twitter or anything else is just poor form.

+1 on all points.

I think the National Harbor could be a perfect starting location since there are several new hotels within walking distance to the water (Gaylord, ALoft, Wyndham, Hampton Inn). I'd have athletes swim across the Potomac to VA, bike south past Mt. Vernon, with the run starting in Belle Haven - turnaround by the Pentagon - and finish in Old Town. Participants would take the ferry back to National Harbor once finished. Of course, this route would never happen in a million years, partly because it would be almost impossible to get 56 miles on the bike in Northern VA. This is why we all need to travel to the remote Eastern Shore for 70.3 or longer.

Oh yeah, and knowing how nasty the Potomac gets in late summer with Hydrilla, I'd hold the event sometime before mid-June.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
it seems a mystery to just about everyone except WSEM.

i know the WSEM folks, and they've moved from rising stars in the world of triathlon production to just flat-out stars. they're great at what they do. top flight. among the best.

Dan, with the DC Tri fiasco and now this, how many data points will you need to see before you change your opinion? In the time they have been operating in our city, WSEM has done a fine job building events up and then unloading them, but that doesn't seem to have done much for anyone other than their owners. I've posted here before that they seem to be OK, particularly for the very casual or new athlete, and in my book that's a good thing. At some point they need to come clean if they want to maintain any goodwill in our community.
Quote Reply
Re: National Harbor 70.3 canned [ElGordo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to agree with Ray.

After the Hot Chocolate fiasco, I would guess that some PG County officials are exercising some preventive care. Can't say that I blame them much. Not only was that whole race a mess but local residents were pissed about the road conditions (traffic). So while this 70.3 may have been a completely different and better run race, they are finished supporting these things for a while.

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for what you can share Dan. Extremely bummed as this was to be the closest WTC event to us in SW Pa.

20, or so, from our area were signed up and booked.

Loved the whole idea around this race...even with the limitations of the proposed run course.

Looks like Whirlpool or REV3 or SavageMan for me.
Quote Reply
Re: National Harbor 70.3 canned [tri.harder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri.harder wrote:
Yeah this really screws up my season too. I think my only option is Timberman, as the others on the list that are geographically acceptable are all too early.
There are non MDot halfs as well that are as well regarded or better than Mdot 70.3s. Unless you require the MDot tattoo and/or a Vegas slot, I highly doubt Timberman is your only option. In 2003, maybe. Nowadays there is a glut of long course options out there for you.
Quote Reply
Re: National Harbor 70.3 canned [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DC Pattie wrote:
dcrainmaker wrote:
Sam Apoc wrote:
triannasaurus wrote:

+1 on all points.

I think the National Harbor could be a perfect starting location since there are several new hotels within walking distance to the water (Gaylord, ALoft, Wyndham, Hampton Inn). I'd have athletes swim across the Potomac to VA, bike south past Mt. Vernon, with the run starting in Belle Haven - turnaround by the Pentagon - and finish in Old Town. Participants would take the ferry back to National Harbor once finished. Of course, this route would never happen in a million years, partly because it would be almost impossible to get 56 miles on the bike in Northern VA. This is why we all need to travel to the remote Eastern Shore for 70.3 or longer.

Oh yeah, and knowing how nasty the Potomac gets in late summer with Hydrilla, I'd hold the event sometime before mid-June.

Your route idea sounds pretty cool. If you know some of the backroads south of Mt. Vernon well enough, there's some really nice quiet areas down there - rolling farmland too. You could do a two-loop course and easily get 56 miles. But even without two-loops, you could do a lolli-pop down there fairly well.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: National Harbor 70.3 canned [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I had hoped to shoot for a Vegas slot, I'm all ears on non Mdot races. I'm in Philadelphia, would like to drive, and 7ish hours is probably my driving time radius. Need something between late July and early September to fit into my season. Ideas?
Quote Reply

Prev Next