Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Changing Cassettes (11-28 for 11-25)
Quote | Reply
I'm trying an Ultegra CS 6700 11-28 cassette for size. I originally run a DA CS 9700 11-25. I have a couple of questions:

1. Do I need to re-adjust the rear derailleur?
2. Do I need to change the chain length (add or remove links)?

I'm planning to constantly switch between the two cassettes. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Changing Cassettes (11-28 for 11-25) [windRider666] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the chain was originally sized to fit the 11-25, you might have to add links to fit the 28 big sprocket. If the chain was originally sized to fit the 28, it'll fit the 25 as well with no changes. In any case, the derailleur shouldn't need any changes when switching cassettes. Different brand cassettes might sit slightly off from each other, though, not sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. You may have to adjust the cable a little bit, most likely not the end stops.

2. Probably not unless your chain was on the short side to start with.
Quote Reply
Re: Changing Cassettes (11-28 for 11-25) [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only adjustment on rear mech will be the b-tension screw.
Chain length will require confirmation on 28t as mentioned.
Aim for 6 mm gap between upper jockey wheel and lowest tip of 28t cog. Set at that and leave it for the 25t if you intend to change regularly. Else make Same clearance on 25t if you intend to run it for some time .
Quote Reply
Re: Changing Cassettes (11-28 for 11-25) [shadwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for the feedback. It seems that the chain length was long enough for the 28t. Shifting was very smooth until the largest gear (28t). Also, as I'm rolling I'm hearing a slightly higher noise from the rear derailleur. It seems that it is vibrating.

Do you think the b-tension screw will fix both issues?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't cross chain and chain length won't be an issue.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, your mech is likely trying to shift across the tips of the 28t cog teeth... Set clearance as mentioned.
If insufficient length on b-tension screw due to your hanger design.
Consider flipping the screw from the other side and using the screw head as the stop... Look up reversed b tension screw on google of you are unsure what this means .
Also google shimano tech file for rear mech set up...
Tells you everything you need to know there...
Quote Reply
Re: Changing Cassettes (11-28 for 11-25) [devs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about switching from a 12-25 to an 11-25 ? Any adjustments anticipated or should they be pretty much the same ?

"For those who understand, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible."
Quote Reply
Re: Changing Cassettes (11-28 for 11-25) [HBB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chain length should be the same, but depending on the make/model of cassette, you might have to adjust the derailleur because the cassette will sit further in or further out from the centerline of the bike. If this is the case, you should be able to use a thin cassette spacer to space them the same. However, in all likelihood, it'll just work fine as is with no adjustment needed. Best way to find out is to try it. B-tension will not have to change, as the large cog isn't changing.

Most important adjustment is always lower gear (inner) limit stop. I always shift to the second-lowest (second from inside) gear, then slowly tug the rear inner wire by hand to make sure derailleur won't rub or hit spokes. But it sounds like you have that all dialed in. There's very little difference between an 11-25 and 12-25 as far as RD and chain adjustment is concerned.
Last edited by: devs: May 4, 12 10:59
Quote Reply
Re: Changing Cassettes (11-28 for 11-25) [devs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great thanks. It's the same cassette, Shimano Ultegra CS-6700 just with the minor difference.

"For those who understand, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible."
Quote Reply
Re: Changing Cassettes (11-28 for 11-25) [HBB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would anticipate no adjustment needed then. Would be very surprised if they didn't sit identically.
Quote Reply