Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Flanagan FTP Plan
Quote | Reply
For this "plan" does the cycling repeat after the third day or is this done once a week?

Thanks

For those unfamiliar:

Day 1 = 2x20 with <5 min between @ ~95% of FTP
Day 2 = 1x20 @ 100-105% of FTP, essentially an all out TT effort
Day 3 = Rest or VERY EASY (ie 30-60 minutes at 50% of FTP)...all small ring.

Quote Reply
Re: Flanagan FTP Plan [hammonjj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AFAIK - repeat until one of the following:

You die
You get the gains you want
You get bored
You get discouraged

etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hammonjj wrote:
For this "plan" does the cycling repeat after the third day or is this done once a week?

Thanks

For those unfamiliar:

Time to get back in shape after years off. I'm going to dust off my old "Flanagan Plan" and see what happens. I'll keep you guys posted. Current fitness is non-existent. 240 lbs, FTP somewhere 225-240. Frank Day, want to give me a set of PowerCranks, so you can have a study of someone with massive FTP increases on PowerCranks?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every other 3-day cycle, the 2nd day is supposed to be 5x5 vo2 intervals I believe.
Quote Reply
Re: Flanagan FTP Plan [cdorcy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cdorcy wrote:
Every other 3-day cycle, the 2nd day is supposed to be 5x5 vo2 intervals I believe.

BTW, I have a general training question. I think there was a thread where it was discussed, but I cannot find it anymore.

Nx20 min are developing LT,
Nx5 min are developing VO2max
What are 40/20 developing and why a triathlete would want them?
Quote Reply
Re: Flanagan FTP Plan [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm curious what the thoughts are if you adapted this to use zwift racing, instead of intervals, I'm thinking:
(All races would have warmup/cool-down etc)
Day 1: 50+min race
Day 2: <30 min race
Day 3: Spin easy

Essentially using the duration/distance of the race as a mechanism of controlling intensity.

I've read that people have seen great improvement from racing online (I certainly have, though I was essentially starting from scratch), but people have also commented that they plateaued from too much racing.

I'm not necessarily looking to try this, more just curious what the thoughts on it are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you do any type of L2 endurance ride after each interval session?
Quote Reply
Re: Flanagan FTP Plan [ask77nl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ask77nl wrote:
cdorcy wrote:

BTW, I have a general training question. I think there was a thread where it was discussed, but I cannot find it anymore.

I think this is the original.
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?post=2932430
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ask77nl wrote:
cdorcy wrote:

I find 5 min to be a bit long for what I want to use my VO2 fitness for. I'm not a high level bike racer, so most road races your "hard" efforts are going to be probably less than 5min.

I tend to use 3min. Two sets of 3x3min at 1:1 work/rest ratio. 6 minutes rest between sets. Pick a power you can do all the reps/sets at. Last two reps on last set you might grind to a stop, that's ok.

If you really want some "snap", do some 1:1 efforts at 1min each. Couple sets of 5 reps. You've picked the right power level when you can complete the sets but are still "puffing" hard breathing and are about to start another rep.

You're basically maximizing the time you spend anaerobic the best possible way.

I find 5 min is way too long to either spend "building" into the anaerobic state, or, is way way too difficult to choose power you get there quick and "stay" there for the duration.

Peak/fades are good too, but a bit brutal. Basically overcook it on purpose and keep reducing the power so that the pedals keep turning over until time is up. Over 2 min you may go something like 450w, 425, 400, 375, 350, 325, 300, 275. 15 seconds each, 2min total.

None of this is anything I'd say is "truth". It's just what I've found online, tried, and works for me and am expressing what it feels like for me to do a rep, or a set.
Quote Reply
Re: Flanagan FTP Plan [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hammonjj wrote:

Thanks

For those unfamiliar:

There's no way that I could do this for very long at age 65 with the longer recovery times that come with aging. Or pretty much at all when combined with running. I might be able to do it for a while with two days off instead of one. But I presume this would be done as part of a bike-focused block to build FTP in which running would be minimal maintenance-only. Probably could combine this plan and keep swimming OK.
Quote Reply
Re: Flanagan FTP Plan [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
AFAIK - repeat until ...

You die

love it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To clarify, do you go back to day 1 immediately on day 4 (no further rest)? I saw the question asked a few times in the original thread but ran out of patience with all the Day v. AC postings.

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: Flanagan FTP Plan [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See my previous answer to the question.
Quote Reply
Re: Flanagan FTP Plan [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The original poster/test subject (I believe Fletch) ended up doing a seven day cycle with the last day completely off. So he would run through twice then take a complete day of rest. I am trying to figure out if that was at Flanagan's recommendation or just Fletch's modification. I might have missed it between all the Frank Day postings in the original thread.

As for your response, thank you. I'll put in the file with "go as hard as you can" pacing advice.

Quote Reply
Re: Flanagan FTP Plan [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe that was Fletch's modification. I read the thread in its entirety. As you note that question was asked several times and was never answered outright---at best there were responses like Sentania's. No one every directly said, "yes, go back to day 1." or..."no, add an extra rest day to align with the 7 day week." Nor, did Fletch ever say..."I changed it myself, because..."

It was always my understanding that Flanagan's original prescription would go back to day 1 like a waltz: 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3. I see no harm, and probably some benefit to adding one extra recovery day every week. 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, off. If for no other reason that scheduling simplicity.
Quote Reply
Re: Flanagan FTP Plan [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you.

Quote Reply
Re: Flanagan FTP Plan [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me neither although I'm a big fan of workout repetition/consistency in general.

I'm currently experimenting with 4x8's and 4x4's with 40/20's in the wings when I plateau. I have to recovery between each workout, though, but would consider loading up using back-to-backs prior to forced recovery.

tttiltheend wrote:
There's no way that I could do this for very long at age 65 with the longer recovery times that come with aging. Or pretty much at all when combined with running. I might be able to do it for a while with two days off instead of one. But I presume this would be done as part of a bike-focused block to build FTP in which running would be minimal maintenance-only. Probably could combine this plan and keep swimming OK.

Interval Design Studio
YouTube | SoundCloud
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ask77nl wrote:

I personally use 40/20 for lactate clearing as an alternative to over unders but will also for any very intensity work (higher than I can do 4x4's at).

Interval Design Studio
YouTube | SoundCloud
Quote Reply
Re: Flanagan FTP Plan [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I originally wrote this I was bike racing and this was a prescription to increase FTP. No cyclist nor any triathlete is solely focused on FTP. Cyclist has sprint, 1 min, and VO2 while triathlete has swimming and running to mix in.

The most important element in any structured interval work is you need to allow for enough rest and recovery to hit the numbers. If that means you have to take a day off between 1 and 2 then do it. If you need to run also then you probably can't do more than one cycle per week.

I've always envisioned the Flanagan FTP plan as something that can be tolerated for a one to two month focus tops. If you really stick with it and dedicate yourself to improving FTP over 8 weeks and allow for enough recovery to always hit the numbers, then you will see major fitness gains.

The three sports aren't about slogging out a million miles to gain fitness. That might be fun... But that's different. Peak fitness is achieved through structured intervals and by rest to absorb the gains.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jimmy is in. Haven’t raced in two years but at 58, getting the band back together for a run at Colorado Springs. The plan is to race one more full season, unless I crash out.

“Either way, we’re set for life.”

Last I checked ftp was about 290, down from a racing 335 of 2+ years ago. I’m doing my trainer 2x20s until my scrotum screams the safe word. I’ve got 15 lbs to lose by end of April.

When the weather allows, long, easy, “cadence” rides then vo2 stuff in the spring and group ride scrimmages. Really don’t care about results until late May, maybe not even then.

Recovery is key.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry if already covered, Flanagan, but curious how you personally do this work? i.e. indoors/outdoors?, fixed power or not? manual control or not? Again just curious.

Interval Design Studio
YouTube | SoundCloud
Quote Reply
Re: Flanagan FTP Plan [fstrnu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ideally indoor rollers. Can’t do everything indoors without going nuts, so certainly some outdoors. If outdoors just shoot for no stops and a low variability index (NP/AP). Often people confuse low VI with meaning “flat” roads, but hills are fine as long as Application of power is even enough to produce VI within a couple percent of 1.0.

Zwift wasn’t around when I originally did this. Would be easier to do indoors nowadays than pre-Zwift.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just started your plan.

First 5 days crushed me. Needed 2 days rest. Back at it today

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flanagan wrote:
Ideally indoor rollers. Can’t do everything indoors without going nuts, so certainly some outdoors. If outdoors just shoot for no stops and a low variability index (NP/AP). Often people confuse low VI with meaning “flat” roads, but hills are fine as long as Application of power is even enough to produce VI within a couple percent of 1.0.

Zwift wasn’t around when I originally did this. Would be easier to do indoors nowadays than pre-Zwift.

Zwift on rollers = all sorts of interesting scenarios when doing 180s in the pack.
Quote Reply

Prev Next