Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Anybody Buying Obama's New Talking Point [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am sorry you brought this up.

I thought the Obama campaign brought it up, in one of their TV ads?

-----
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
Which is probably why I was registering 59.67mi as I rolled into T2.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While you are setting the record straight you may want to find where Obama said he would attack Pakistan

http://www.nydailynews.com/...ama-article-1.236575

We had quite a discussion on the other thread about just what constitutes an "attack," though.

-----

Quote Reply
Re: Anybody Buying Obama's New Talking Point [Eppur si muove] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eppur si muove wrote:
I am sorry you brought this up.

I thought the Obama campaign brought it up, in one of their TV ads?

But the original bitch was why are we talking hypotheticals. But a campaign is nothing but a long series of hypotheticals.

I mean we could talk about what Romney has done but he disclaims his biggest achievement as governor now. And his record on creating vs. destroying jobs is spotty at best. I won't play the game of saying he doesn't have foreign policy experience to talk about since I do not think that is a fair criticism.

So if you don't want to talk about hypotheticals, come back in mid-November.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eppur si muove wrote:
The implication of McCain's comments is that when it comes to military intentions, presidents and presidential candidates shouldn't always say publicly exactly what they're thinking. Taking that into account, I don't see that the Romney comments you quote necessarily represent a viewpoint different from the McCain comments that I quoted. Like McCain, Romney emphasizes his desire to work with allies (and we do nominally consider Pakistan an ally, wink wink?), and he points out that remarks that might undermine that relationship are "ill-timed" and "ill-considered."

Kind of like how we worked with our ally the French for 8 years. What happened to you are with us or you are against us? Pakistan harbored bin Laden for years, they were clearly against us, so no ally, so according to the Bush Doctrine, fuck 'em.

If Romney and McCain want to be able to say they would have done the same thing they could have simply agreed with Obama in 2008, like the wise Sarah Palin did. If McCain actually agreed with Obama why were Palin's comments a story about how she disagreed with McCain on the topic?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What happened to you are with us or you are against us? Pakistan harbored bin Laden for years, they were clearly against us, so no ally, so according to the Bush Doctrine, fuck 'em.

On the surface, it appears that you are suggesting that we should not treat Pakistan as an ally. Actually, I tend to agree with you, although the fact that the Pakistanis have nukes seems to necessitate that we treat them with kid gloves. Nevertheless, Obama as well as McCain both continue to uphold the pretense that Pakistan is an ally, so that obligates them to treat it as such. It's not as if the Pakistani government can't watch TV.

If Romney and McCain want to be able to say they would have done the same thing they could have simply agreed with Obama in 2008...

Wrong, for the very reason that McCain himself gave.

If McCain actually agreed with Obama why were Palin's comments a story about how she disagreed with McCain on the topic?

I didn't follow the Palin story, but if the airhead disagreed with the fossil, I'm sure that made great fodder for the media.

-----

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eppur si muove wrote:
What happened to you are with us or you are against us? Pakistan harbored bin Laden for years, they were clearly against us, so no ally, so according to the Bush Doctrine, fuck 'em.

On the surface, it appears that you are suggesting that we should not treat Pakistan as an ally. Actually, I tend to agree with you, although the fact that the Pakistanis have nukes seems to necessitate that we treat them with kid gloves. Nevertheless, Obama as well as McCain both continue to uphold the pretense that Pakistan is an ally, so that obligates them to treat it as such. It's not as if the Pakistani government can't watch TV.

If Romney and McCain want to be able to say they would have done the same thing they could have simply agreed with Obama in 2008...

Wrong, for the very reason that McCain himself gave.

If McCain actually agreed with Obama why were Palin's comments a story about how she disagreed with McCain on the topic?

I didn't follow the Palin story, but if the airhead disagreed with the fossil, I'm sure that made great fodder for the media.

Pakistan is not an ally, everyone knows it, but we pretend they are in some sort of weird, endanger the world kind of kabuki theater.

"Wrong, for the very reason that McCain himself gave."
We could go on and on around this. I disagree. Hell, even Bush disagreed. He said that we would hunt him down no matter where he was.

And I found the Palin story when I was searching for Romney quotes. McCain did the namby pamby weak on national defense we will use diplomacy dance (I like using that on Republicans after 25 years of this bullshit strategy against Democrats) and when someone asked Palin what she would do she essentially said, "shoot him in the eye."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pakistan is not an ally, everyone knows it, but we pretend they are in some sort of weird, endanger the world kind of kabuki theater.

That's a good description. In a thread a while back, I referred to it as our "policy of pretense" and questioned whether it was in our long-run best interest.

-----

Quote Reply

Prev Next