Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why are gas prices so high? [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"You are saying we should nationalize all oil production and subsidize the hell out of it."

Do you think you're not you're already subsidizing Big Oil by the what you're paying at the pumps? At least by nationalizing their oil Venezuela can claim ownership of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Why are gas prices so high? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not by any ordinary understanding of what "subsidize" means. Even definition 3 doesn't work, since when I pay at the pumps I get gas as my quid pro quo.

sub·si·dy   /ˈsʌbsɪdi/ Show Spelled[/url][suhb-si-dee] Show IPA[/url]
noun, plural sub·si·dies.
a direct pecuniary aid furnished by a government to a private industrial undertaking, a charity organization, or the like.
a sum paid, often in accordance with a treaty, by one government to another to secure some service in return.
a grant or contribution of money.
money formerly granted by the English Parliament to the crown for special needs.

-----
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
Which is probably why I was registering 59.67mi as I rolled into T2.

Quote Reply
Re: Why are gas prices so high? [Eppur si muove] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definition #2 seems to fit pretty well... we help police the ME through military aid in return for friendlier treatment from the oil sheiks. Do you really not think we devote a disproportionate amount of our military expenitures towards maintaining order in oil-rich regions while we essentially just look the other way in many parts of the world that are equally dysfunctional if not more so (e.g. much of central Africa)?
Quote Reply
Re: Why are gas prices so high? [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cerveloguy was talking about subsidizing them "at the pumps." We no doubt subsidize them through our tax money (including military expenditures), but not through what we pay at the pumps.

-----
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
Which is probably why I was registering 59.67mi as I rolled into T2.

Last edited by: Eppur si muove: Apr 30, 12 12:54
Quote Reply
Re: Why are gas prices so high? [Miguelon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you forget to update this thread?

Gasoline prices likely won't set any records this summer, thanks to a recent drop in the price of oil.
The government Tuesday slashed its forecast for average gas prices to $3.79 per gallon for the summer driving season. That's down from an initial estimate of $3.95 and below 2008's record average of $3.80.

http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/...mmer-gas-prices?lite

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply

Prev Next