Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
So if you support Romney, your name gets published for all to see.
Quote | Reply
Nixon's Enemy's list appalled Democrats and Republicans alike and for good reason. How do you democrats feel about this?

http://online.wsj.com/...368280604524916.html

More proof Obama doesn't respect the rules, traditions and all around common decency. He is the Thug in Chief and a bully.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: So if you support Romney, your name gets published for all to see. [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HERE's the link to the original posting, I think. I'm wondering why or how this is connected to Obama? Isn't the donor lists public knowledge these days so doesn't everyone have this list? Looks to me like just another fly by night outfit doing what political cronies do, try and make the other side look bad.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: So if you support Romney, your name gets published for all to see. [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Navigate through Obama's website to the truth team and there will be a linke to KeepingGOPHonest

http://www.barackobama.com/.../?source=tt-home-btn

This is a campaign run website. So by default this is our president calling out individuals who are supporting opposition. This is outrageous and sickening. I go back to a statement I said a long time ago here and got a lot of heat for. Barak Obama is a POS and I stand by that. This just supports it. But everybody should be mad at this Republican and Democrat alike. Maybe he can STEP BACK on this one to.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: So if you support Romney, your name gets published for all to see. [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How should we regulate and censor this public information?

Here's a good website that outs all donors from each side by name.
http://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/list.php

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Re: So if you support Romney, your name gets published for all to see. [jO4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think there's any way to censor it. That doesn't make it right.

The website you linked to is quite different than the one Forge linked to.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a campaign run website. So by default this is our president calling out individuals who are supporting opposition. This is outrageous and sickening.

Ok, hard to say that aren't related under those conditions and I would agree. This is nothing new for Obama, he likes to demonize people.

That being said I still think making this out as some "Secret list" in the spirit of Edgar Hoover is a bit disingenuous, although it should turn ones stomache ANYTIME a president goes after a private citizen in this manner...leave that to their media lap dogs.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Re: So if you support Romney, your name gets published for all to see. [jO4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This isn't about publicly available information. That information is and should remain public for you to obtain if you so desire. Or even for a private organization to publish. But for the President of the United States to endorse the calling out of individuals with labels like "individuals with less-than-reputable reocrds. quite a few have been on the wrong side of the law, others have made profits at the expense of so many Americans" is disgusting. You cannot defend such behavior in a Constitutional Republic by its leaders, let alone one who has the authority through executve power to arrest, detain, charge, and damage an individual. This amounts to intimidation by our leaders and if it does not bother you when it is your guy, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Quote Reply
Re: So if you support Romney, your name gets published for all to see. [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't compare it to Hoover's list, but more akin to a public shaming to scare people from supporting his opponant. Consistent with New Black Panthers standing guard at a polling center, union thugs coming ot your door for card check, or showing up at townhalls.

Quote Reply
Re: So if you support Romney, your name gets published for all to see. [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't see how it is different. These guys are big players, lobbyists, and people out in the public eye actively raising big money for the campaign. They are pulling public news quotes etc from these people and unless this information isn't factual they are illustrating that the Republican's are being funded by AINOs. Seems ironic doesn't it?

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the information is factual shouldn't they be proud of their accomplishments?

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really? You don't see how publishing a list of all the top campaign contributors is different from publishing the names of private citizens who donate to the president's opponent, and accusing those private citizens of various illegal/sordid behavior?

OK. Sorry I can't help you with that.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On a separate note I wonder if this type of behavior from the presidents office will backfire.

From what I'm seeing it looks like Obama is attempting to run the same campaign that he ran in 2008. Problem with that is two fold. First he is now part of the problem and he has a record. Second you are expected to hold a higher standard of dignity and respect as a sitting president if for no other reason than the level of power at your disposal.

I've been saying for a long time that Obama isn't going to loose, however I never really factored in him completely blowing the campaign. If he doesn't start campaigning as a president rather than as a community organizer "Outsider" he may well blow this thing.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I seriously hope for all our sake you are trying to be funny. If you don't find a problem with this, you deserve the gov't you get. This is wrong plain and simple and it is indefensible. If it were Romney doing this it would be wrong, and I can assure you no Libertarian candidate would ever do something this vile.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no issue with them posting the names, but don't editorialize on each donor. That's where Team Obama crosses the line. This is nothing but an attempt to intimidate by Team BHO, and the closer the election gets, or the more they fall behind in the money game, the more desperate they will become.

A tactic like this speaks volumes about the pettiness of this administration.
Quote Reply
Re: So if you support Romney, your name gets published for all to see. [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Again, if the information is anything less than factual then it is reprehensible. If the information is public and factual then why should it not be known what they do? They are lobbyists and executives at *large public corporations". It's very different than signaling out the little old lady next door who donated $100 to the campaign.

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jO4 wrote:
Again, if the information is anything less than factual then it is reprehensible. If the information is public and factual then why should it not be known what they do? They are lobbyists and executives at *large public corporations". It's very different than signaling out the little old lady next door who donated $100 to the campaign.

Save Mr. Obama, who acknowledges no rules. This past week, one of his campaign websites posted an item entitled "Behind the curtain: A brief history of Romney's donors." In the post, the Obama campaign named and shamed eight private citizens who had donated to his opponent. Describing the givers as all having "less-than-reputable records," the post went on to make the extraordinary accusations that "quite a few" have also been "on the wrong side of the law" and profiting at "the expense of so many Americans."

These are people like Paul Schorr and Sam and Jeffrey Fox, investors who the site outed for the crime of having "outsourced" jobs. T. Martin Fiorentino is scored for his work for a firm that forecloses on homes. Louis Bacon (a hedge-fund manager), Kent Burton (a "lobbyist") and Thomas O'Malley (an energy CEO) stand accused of profiting from oil. Frank VanderSloot, the CEO of a home-products firm, is slimed as a "bitter foe of the gay rights movement."

~
"You lie!" The Prophet Joe Wilson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's intimidation and an attempt to manipulate by the POTUS.

Again, I wonder if this will back fire. Intimidation by a community organizer outsider is one thing, by the POTUS is another and often not looked upon kindly.

This is clearly not unprecedented by this president either as evident by him involving himself in situations that are well outside of his normal realm and making snap judgements on those situations. Beer summits to save face etc.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: So if you support Romney, your name gets published for all to see. [jar1635] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no issue with them posting the names

I think even posting the names is petty. There are plenty of sites to go to that provide this information without the president pointing out only the "Other sides" donors.

If the point was truly to try and inform the voting public just how awful the people are that are contributing to their opponents one could just simply say go to this site and educate yourself on who's giving what to which campaigns.

Unless you're getting an award no one wants anyone from the government "Posting your name".

~Matt

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How should we regulate and censor this public information?

You can't. The damage was already done by the campaign law that requires that donors be disclosed--a law that has the effect of opening up political opponents to government reprisals and intimidation.

-----
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
Which is probably why I was registering 59.67mi as I rolled into T2.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why are you betting against Americas?

Seriously. I doubt the President has anything to do with this. If this ever catches hold in the mainstream media (aside from a WSJ article) its just going to turn into a "I wasnt aware that my campaign staff was using this tactic that I highly disagree with.... blah blah blah."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think even posting the names is petty.

As do I. However, when you consider that other sites already post the information (as you noted) then who cares if they repeat. Either take the information out of the public domain entirely, or don't sweat it. I'm choosing not to sweat it with my comment. What bothers me, as I stated, was their editorializing on each donor.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So if you are a CEO of a large company, you are no longer a private citizen. At what point does a company become large? Lobbyist I can argue subject themselves to that because lobbying is regulated and their specific purpose is to influence politicians. But perhaps these CEOs just don't like Obama and think, like I do, that he is destructive to America. I can't donate that kind of money, so I'm glad people like him are. But does that warrant that he gets listed on a president controlled website? I'm not seeing the logic you are using that makes it any more right than if it were a old lady next door donating 100. You can defend it all you want, but this is supporter intimidation and is pretty consistent with the Bamster's MO. If you don't see that, like others have said, can't help you there. You just don't get it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the end of the day I think it comes down to the first paragraph. If they would have avoided "have less-than-reputable records" this would be pointing out readily public information on lobbyists and public executives, some of his largest supporters, who are actively outsourcing jobs etc. Given the economy that's pretty crappy. I'm not sure about wrong side of the law part but I'm sure time will show the accuracy of that statement. Of thousands of campaign posts and thousands of people on the campaign this was probably written by some 22 year old activist. I wonder what the conversations are around this internally right now.

A closer look at Romney’s donors reveals a group of wealthy individuals with less-than-reputable records. Quite a few have been on the wrong side of the law, others have made profits at the expense of so many Americans, and still others are donating to help ensure Romney puts beneficial policies in place for them.

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MJuric wrote:
From what I'm seeing it looks like Obama is attempting to run the same campaign that he ran in 2008.

I would argue that he is attempting to run the same campaign that he ran for Illinois senate and US Senate when he invalidated his opponents.

He is not listing all of those who are giving to his opponent. No, he is listing only those he wants to list and providing some less than flattering information.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why are you against freedom of the press?

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply

Prev Next