Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

West Coast and East Coast
Quote | Reply
Kinda interesting that Triathlon orginated in the US in California (or so I've read) but a majority of the 70.3 or 140.6 are in the East Coast then MidWest or South then last out West or CA.

And now I see the introduction of the new IMNY and now St. George is being reduced to a shorter 70.3; the market out West must be lacking I wonder why?
Quote Reply
Re: West Coast and East Coast [Damanwithaplan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the picture on this page will answer your question:

http://www.census.gov/...httime_map_2010.html

----
Michael
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That brings up an idea. I wonder how much interest there would be in an East vs West USAT triathlon championships. Maybe make it East vs West of the Mississippi or some geographical divider. Wherever the athlete is listed as a resident is what they would race as. I know there was a "Best of the US" race but this would be a tad different.
Quote Reply
Re: West Coast and East Coast [Experior] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes but CA is also about 13 % of the us population and 13% of the US GDP.

--
MyGearGarage - Track all your gear!
Quote Reply
Re: West Coast and East Coast [mrtrik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You including the not so legal citizens working along the 5?

Re: West Coast and East Coast [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm from NH (see - the secret is out). We consider anything past NY as West Coast.

Have Fun ** Tri Hard ** Be Kind
Quote Reply
Re: West Coast and East Coast [jkahan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm from New York andweconsder anything west of the Hudson the wilderness.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: West Coast and East Coast [Experior] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Experior wrote:
I think the picture on this page will answer your question:

http://www.census.gov/...httime_map_2010.html

Experior- Thanks for posting this never seen this before!

But you would think that since the weather is typically warmer out west there would be more people involved in Triathlon out West/CA. Maybe that warm weather makes them lazy ;o)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damanwithaplan wrote:

But you would think that since the weather is typically warmer out west there would be more people involved in Triathlon out West/CA. Maybe that warm weather makes them lazy ;o)

Not sure if it's all sarcasm or just the lazy part... BUT.... I moved to CA from MA last summer and without a doubt there are more active people here. In MA I'd be hard pressed to see a tri bike out in the wild, here I see at least one everyday. Many more on weekends. There are tons of runners. Racers. Masters here runs daily, 5 sessions a day (NOVA), where as back in MA, we had 1 session 3x week.... I know it's all specific location, but in general there are way more active people here (gotta stay pretty....)

The races here, even at the local level are much bigger and talented too. I would regularly place and occasionally win my AG in MA. I struggle to get in the top 10 here. Gotta step up my game.

--
MyGearGarage - Track all your gear!
Quote Reply
Re: West Coast and East Coast [mrtrik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrtrik wrote:
Yes but CA is also about 13 % of the us population and 13% of the US GDP.

Bingo. I'm from the east coast, have lived in the midwest, and now live in CA. There are a lot of things you can say about CA, but "not enough people" is certainly not one of them.

As for the racing, there are plenty of races out here, more than I've seen in other regions. Just not as many WTC branded events, which for the most part I'm ok with. But there definitely is room for an Ironman in or near CA that is more interesting than IMAZ.
Quote Reply