Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
FS: 2010/11 Shiv (Nosecone). Size L. Make offer. Tell a story.
Quote | Reply
- Comes with both forward and setback seatposts.
- Comes with both straight and s-bend extensions (both totally uncut)
- Comes with brake-levers with brake-tension adjustment knobs (these are the levers that come with the bike)

This is the nose-cone Shiv "module" WITHOUT CRANKSET

Note - I have all of the hardware to adjust the aerobar pad height. All the towers/riser/bolts. I *also* have a ton of stainless steel hardware, which I upgraded on the whole front end, which I will include.

You will need:
- BB30 crankset
- Front derailleur
- Rear derailleur
- Shifters

(And, of course, wheels/tires/tubes/casette/chain)

It is this bike:

As with my Transition, I care more about this bike going to someone special than getting the most money I can for it. I won some pretty special races on this bike. So I want it to go to someone for whom it will also mean something. So, make a fair offer. No reasonable offer will be rejected.

The Transition went to a college kid. I like the idea of a young kid who will appreciate it, since I was once in that same position. But anyone for whom the bike would be a special is something I'll consider.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: FS: 2010/11 Shiv (Nosecone). Size L. Make offer. Tell a story. [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's great to see this! This is why Triathlon (despite all the silly crap on ST forum sometimes) is such a great sport. I got a great deal on my first tri bike (zipp wheels included which I never could have afforded at the time) because the seller wanted it to go to someone new and appreciative of the sport. Everything I've seen from you is a good representation/ambassador to the sport. Hopefully more will follow this line of thought. Sorry I tied up your thread w/o making an offer, but I saved up for my "dream bike" and got it last year. I just wanted to positively comment on the way you operate.

John F. Ambrozic III
H & A Racing

Quote Reply
Re: FS: 2010/11 Shiv (Nosecone). Size L. Make offer. Tell a story. [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the first time I have ever posted on slowtwitch.com, I hope I do it right.

Triathlon is my favorite sport. I follow it very closely and I listened to the interview you did with Babbit in 2010. The story of your crash and the guy saving your life (I listened to his interview too) was enthralling. I became a big fan after that interview. I also really enjoyed and vividly remember listening to your story about getting into triathlon. I dig the grind and stories like yours inspire me. I dig getting up early and sacrificing. I fully understand why someone would live out of a Rav 4 to get a shot at being a full time Triathlete. I am a full time chemistry major (a grind) and Air Force veteran (also a grind) and a complete endurance sports junkie. I have goals set for myself and if I met them I may spend money on a coach and take my shot some day. Obviously the biggest advantage money can buy in our sport is the right tri bike as Specialized has proven for years (see Crowie). When the lotto got up to 500 million last month and everyone was talking about what the first thing they would buy if the won was, I said a tri bike. The problem is that a college student like me would need to win the lotto to get on a bike like yours. I don't really think I deserve the bike more than anybody else but I would use that awesome machine to chase my dreams all around the midwest this year and into the college national championships and age group national championships in 2013.

Huge fan Rappstar,
Chas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Simply awesome. See you at WF Jordan!

Fred
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would like you to sell me the bike for $1.00 - I would then like you to retain custody of the bike. I would then like to post an open auction on eBay and or here and sell the bike to the highest bidder - sending 100% of the sale price to World Bicycle Relief. Once the bike is sold you can deliver, ship, or transport the bike to the new owner.

While it is a wonderful and altruistic thing to do (sell low low low) - I can speak first hand that sometimes the better thing that will do the most good is to redirect the value of your item.

Or, you can give it to me to ride ;-)

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's my story Rappstar. I came to triathlons in a roundabout way - it actually started with my love of aerodynamics. I study aerospace engineering and during a project constructing a human-powered airplane (that's right, a pedal powered airplane) I started getting interested in cycling. My fascination with bikes was confirmed when we ended up building a propellor-powered tricycle (still one of the coolest things I've built and tested). I bought an inexpensive road bike and started riding it all over the place. Since then I've found that my interest in airplanes/aerodynamics fits in perfectly with triathlon. I've since experimented with different aero mods to my road bike, including making some DIY wheelcovers with my teammates. I finished my first season of tris last year, my best race was a solid effort Wildflower - helping my team win the collegiate team competition. I was really looking forward to this year, hoping to qualify for Collegiate Nationals, pushing my limits from last year, and seeing my bike splits drop after I invested in a TT bike. Needless to say, this season hasn't really gone to plan between torn labrums in both my shoulder (bike crash) and hip, and forced weeks off due to a cardio scare. With the medical bills (significant when on a stipend) I could really use a TT bike at a good price. Plus, I'd finally get to be an aero geek with a bike to match.

I've searched around online, but haven't really been able to find a good reference price for a used Shiv module (w/ or w/o crank). I don't want to lowball you, so maybe you have a pricepoint in mind? Otherwise I'll look around tomorrow and PM you with an offer.
Last edited by: dwesley: Apr 26, 12 2:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would like to pay $1000 for it.

I will likely hang it in my home gym for motivation and nostalgia. When you win Kona next year it will be worth way more and it'll be the only real art that I own. I have watched a few of your wins online and even in person (Canada 2011, I let you win) and having this bike would be fantastic. I'm not a person in need but having this bike would be awesome.

Ken

"the trick is to keep losing weight until your friends and family ask you if you've been sick. then you know you're within 10 pounds. if they start whispering to each other, wondering if you've got cancer or aids, you're within 5. when they actually do an intervention, you're at race weight." - Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would like to not make a case for myself but for my friend Blair.

Blair currently works for a nonprofit organization that seeks to inspire those with diabetes to live more active lifestyles in order to better manage the disease. She herself has Type 1 diabetes and is a poster for those needing inspiration. Never letting type 1 diabetes slow her down she competed in track at the collegiate level then moved into triathlon. Blair is signed up for Ironman Arizona in the fall and currently rides a road bike but for the Shiv I would be willing to help her with payment and so would some of our friends (this is her first job out of graduate school so I know she still has student loans).

It's funny because the organization (Insulindependence) she works for seeks to inspire those with diabetes but many times ends up inspiring "the average joe" to live a more healthy/active lifestyle. Blair is a very giving person so I think it's time someone helped her out and nominated her because I know she won't write this up for herself.

Thanks,

Brennan
Last edited by: mrbaseball0: Apr 26, 12 8:56
Quote Reply
Re: FS: 2010/11 Shiv (Nosecone). Size L. Make offer. Tell a story. [mrbaseball0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brennan,

Thanks for your note. And as a reply to you - and moreover to people in general - fit is really important. Please do keep in mind this is a LARGE frame. I'm 6'3". Now, I do know of folks in the 5'10" - 5'11" range riding this bike. BUT, I do want to make sure that when people write in asking for this bike, that they are neither 5'5" nor 6'5". I write this mostly in reply to you, just because it's more rare for a woman to be ~6' than a man. Anyway, I'm not saying that it won't fit her, but it is helpful to know that it's at least close.

I've gotten a couple "second hand" referrals from people writing for someone else, and it seems most often in these cases that people haven't really considered the issue of fit. There are certainly some folks that don't seem to have considered it for themselves, but that does seem less likely.

You could be the most deserving person in the world, but if you are 5'2", I'm not going to be doing you a favor giving you this bike...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: FS: 2010/11 Shiv (Nosecone). Size L. Make offer. Tell a story. [dwesley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not that it matters too much, but the module new sold for about $6000 (the Shiv TT is $6100). The S-Works crank is ~500. So Let's say it would sell new for ~$5500. IMO, 50% of retail for a relatively new-ish bike is a pretty fair price. In general, I don't think twice about selling a bike for 50% of retail.

However, I've gotten offers for this bike as low as $500, and I don't consider them unreasonable given the context that they were presented in.

As I wrote to someone else, for the wrong person, I simply wouldn't sell it. And for the right person, I'd sell it for $1. Where you fall on the continuum is pretty much totally subjective, both in your opinion and mine.

That being said, I've gotten WAY more feedback than I thought, so we may have to go to a public vote or something...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you think it would fit me? ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And said *ever* so gracious college kid pulled down the 5th fastest bike split at nationals this past weekend. Only a minute off the top time... :D Assembled bike on Tuesday, raced on Saturday. (don't do this at home folks)

I don't have a good photo of the transition built up yet, but it's been a joy to ride.

Thanks again Jordan!
D

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what a great offer. i definitely don't need it (have one of my own that fits), but as another poster said, this is what being a role model is about. thanks jordan.
Quote Reply
Re: FS: 2010/11 Shiv (Nosecone). Size L. Make offer. Tell a story. [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Park Tools makes a device to get the frame to fit you.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I'm just getting into Triathlons, and am chugging along on my road bike for now. I have aspirations of getting into ironman tri's eventually, and am very excited about it. I'm 6'3" as well, and everytime i go to my LBS I stare at the Shiv they have in there. While I'd love to be selfish and somehow come up with the funds to get a good bike like this, I have a son that has medical needs that will not allow me to afford this. My wife stays at home to help with him, and our 2 other kiddos, and I work and try to squeeze in rides when I can. I'm not saying I'm any more deserving than anyone on here, but I'll say that this would truely be a dream machine, and something that I would feel like I could never obtain on my own. I won't go into huge detail, but what a blessing you are going to be to whoever gets this beautiful machine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would like to pay $434.46 for this bike.

It would be the bike I use to ride under 4h34:47 on the Ironman Canada course the next time I race there (prospectively 2013). I'm sure you know the significance of that time mark.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar,

I sent you a PM yesterday, but after reading some of the responses on this thread today, I figured I would elaborate here. My name is Aaron, I am 17 years old and I am a senior at Syosset HS in New York. I am currently training for the Ironman U.S. Championship/NYC, which is only about ten days after I turn 18! I have completed in numerous Half-Irons the past two seasons including Toughman (twice), Harryman and Montauk MightyMan. Having done these races and numerous other sprints and olympics, I have truly come to love the sport.

Just two years ago, with my dad’s passion rubbing off on me, I began training for a triathlon. To prove to myself that I was in exemplary physical shape from years of tennis playing and to prove to my dad that I was now stronger than he was, I decided to sign up for a Half Ironman distance race.

On September 10th, 2010, my life changed. At 7 AM, I jumped into the Hudson River, and after nearly six and a half hours, I crossed under the finishing banner. All day I had been experiencing searing pain in my legs. The race was taking a toll on me. I had trained extensively all summer, but I was new to the sport. I had not nailed down my nutrition, and consequently, I was cramping, bad. Just a few hours before I had thought about giving up, and had wondered if I would be okay with failure. But, ultimately, I crossed the line. I was a TOUGHMAN.

It is hard to describe the immense satisfaction of crossing that line. I had accomplished a feat that only a handful of kids my age can say they have. Not many people do triathlons. Not many kids do triathlons. And certainly, not many kids do Half Ironman triathlons, but I had gone the distance.

This past season I improved upon my first result by over an hour for the Half distance and I continue to progress. I look forward to keeping this sport as a key part of my life as I move into college life next year. I am also a writer/contributor for the website youngtri.com, a site for youth triathletes from around the country to network together to share stories, training tips, and most importantly, to make friends. I know that there are a ton of deserving people out there who would love to have this bike, but I believe that I am in a unique situation. I have so much room to grow and progress in this sport, and your Shiv would certainly help to direct me in the right direction. I coach tennis during my summers, which is enough to cover race costs and some new gear on occasion, but this bike would be way out of my price range if not for this unique situation.

All the best,
aaronyoungtri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be entirely too big for me but I would definitely use it as an action piece to raise money this... http://CAFPhillyTri2012.kintera.org/karltrout
that bike alone could probably finance a grant to at least one challenged athlete.
Quote Reply
Re: FS: 2010/11 Shiv (Nosecone). Size L. Make offer. Tell a story. [dwesley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds dangerous based on your bike crash history.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jordan,

My name is Tyler Berthelsen. I'm 17 years old, turning 18 in July and I'm doing my first Ironman in August. A teacher at my school, Geoff Waterman, told me to check this out. I was born in raised in Penticton. I've been watching Ironman Canada as long as I can remember. I've waken up to watch the swim every year, and I always watch the winner come in. (Congrats to you on your wins!) Ever since I was a kid I always said the year I turn 18 I would do Ironman. One year when I was 8 one of our family friends, Lance Bishop asked if I wanted to finish with him that year. I finished with him and his wife Sheila and I can remember clearly giving high five to everyone running down Lakeshore. I knew for sure then that this was something I was going to do. Later that year, Sheila passed away from cancer and that August Lance did his 10th Ironman Canada. That gave it a whole new meaning for me. I have a picture of Lance, Sheila and I running through the finish line right beside my door to keep me motivated to do it. I signed up last summer for Ironman and I've been training all year. I just have an entry level bike that I got last summer, and this bike would help a lot. I'm 6'5 about 170lbs so I think it would fit me.

Thank you very much!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan,

First off, thanks for doing this. I've never seen a pro triathlete be so engaged with AG'ers. I know at some point, you were once an AG'er yourself, so it's neat to see you giving back.

There are a lot of great stories posted here, hopefully, mine will make sense to you.

In one of your previous responses, you mentioned how crucial fit is to a bike. I couldn't agree more. I've had to learn this the hard way.

I got into triathlon at the tender age of 29, as a smoker, heavy drinker, and weighing close to 300 lbs. Knowing absolutely nothing about bike fit, I purchased what bike I could find that was within my price range. Little did I know that the bike I bought was a size too small! During my first year of racing, I somehow managed to not let the science of triathlon get in the way of training and racing... I was having so much fun with it, I didn't care how bad my lower back hurt from being in the aero position for hours on training rides, or how my legs would cramp terribly from being scrunched up on a bike that was too small.

Three years later, I'm down 75 lbs, am smoke free, and am close to finishing my Ph.d.- a feat that is in some ways just as taxing as endurance sports. My current bike, although it has served me well, is no longer doing the trick for me. I have severe leg cramping issues based on the screwed up geometry of my fit and am pretty frustrated by it (just ask my coach!) I have, like you after your accident, have just tried to smile through it, be thankful for what I do have vs. what I do not, and to keep on doing what I love to do by being an ambassador for the sport and lifestyle that we both love so much. I strive to be more competitive, just like anyone, but feel that one area I could benefit from would be a new bike that complements my heart for this sport and the people that participate in it, both professional and amateur.

As of May 1st, I will be unemployed, as my graduate assistantship runs out. I am set to do the final defense for my dissertation during the week of May 21-25 and couldn't think of a better gift than that of a new bike. Being a full time graduate student hasn't been easy, especially since triathlon requires at least some sort of monetary investment. But again I've just smiled through it and have thanked God for the blessings He has bestowed on me.

I'd like to make an offer of $500.00 for your frame. I realize this is a pretty small amount, but for me as a grad student, it's a ton. I also understand this could seem like a low offer especially based on the sentimental value you surely have attached to your bike. I won't hang it on a wall, try to flip it for a profit, or auction it off for charity. Surely, you could have done all of these things yourself, but you chose not to, which to me, speaks volumes of your character. This bike will be ridden hard, just like it was intended to be, and just like you've done with it before.

Again, I'd like to commend you for what you're doing. I think it's great that you are reinvesting in the sport.

Thanks for reading Jordan, best of luck to you.

Dave

ps: If you'd like to come to my dissertation defense, I'll keep a seat open for you ;)
Last edited by: dmaurich: Apr 27, 12 9:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan, Blair is 5-11. Pretty tall for a girl and has long legs. Not completely sure the sizing of Specialized but that is her size if it is open for consideration. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: FS: 2010/11 Shiv (Nosecone). Size L. Make offer. Tell a story. [mrbaseball0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That should be fine.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan,

I sent you my submission via email to your Slowtwitch email account.

Thank You,
Jared
Quote Reply
Re: FS: 2010/11 Shiv (Nosecone). Size L. Make offer. Tell a story. [Tell3131] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would be really convenient to have this around until my P5 arrives!

I have a feeling I am not gonna win. Smile
Quote Reply

Prev Next