Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Any tips on treating some poison ivy I have on my forearms? [SinkCrashBonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tecnu is great, but Dawn dishsoap works well too.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: Any tips on treating some poison ivy I have on my forearms? [Tridiot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HTFU, MFER!

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Any tips on treating some poison ivy I have on my forearms? [Tridiot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the good news is as long as you've washed your arms etc it won't spread. Scratching it won't make is spread. It's the oil on the plant that causes the reaction. And if you wash it off it won't spread. So scratch away and pee without worry

And wash everything you wore. even the shoes if you can. The oils stays around a while.

next time it happens it might be worse. It's one of those things where the reaction can increase w/ every exposure.
Last edited by: SpicedRum: Apr 16, 12 16:49
Quote Reply
Re: Any tips on treating some poison ivy I have on my forearms? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am sooooo trying. I have weirdly big forearms (I should have been a plumber), but I'm far past Popeye at this point with the swelling etc.

Buy stock in Calladryl :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, dude, if it's swelling you might need a cortisone shot. There's rash (red, bumpy, ooze if you scratch it then turns to scab) and then there's swelling. If you're puffing up like a balloon, or worse, like Popeye you may want to go to a doctor.

I grew up with poison oak in my back yard and myself, my brother and my sister all had some sort of rash from it pretty much throughout our childhoods. Now that we're adults my brother, when exposed gets a normal reaction. My sister gets all puffed up and it can be bad if she gets on her face/neck, as in she can't breathe and has to go to the ER (a friend of mine is the same way (when we go on a hike and he gets it you can watch it transform his body into a splotchy elephant man (it's awesome))). I on the other hand do not react to it at all anymore. Total immunity. I can roll around in the stuff all day long and not an itch. Lucky.

Keep an eye on it. Have a housemate keep an eye on you as well. Did the swelling come on fast? If so go to a doctor.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Any tips on treating some poison ivy I have on my forearms? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I'll be ok. It's not too bad. But the puffiness is on!

I'm walking in to see my dr tomorrow in case. I think tomorrow is going to suck. I had a bad time with a bee sting this past summer so i don't think I should mess around.

Looking back I think I had mega direct contact. More spots on my legs and hands and maybe face are showing up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are very lucky. I had the exact opposite experience with poison ivy. Up untl I was about 20 or 21 I could practically roll in the stuff without any reaction. Now, I seemingly can't even look at it without getting a rash.
Quote Reply
Re: Any tips on treating some poison ivy I have on my forearms? [bm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My sister has to go to the ER if she's exposed. Go figure. Raised in the same poison oak filled environment and ended up with the opposite effect.

FWIW, I share no genetics with my siblings (who share none with each other). We're all adopted from different sets of biological parents.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Any tips on treating some poison ivy I have on my forearms? (updated) [Tridiot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Went to the Dr yesterday, and boy am I glad I did. Her reaction upon seeing my arms was "Oh no."

LOTS of fluid buildup, my arms feel heavier and are noticeably bigger (I have oddly big forearms to begin with, I resemble Popeye now).

Oral steroid, topical steroid, claritin, and ibuprofen.

The steroid seems to be working, the itching is minimal (maybe gone?) and I feel REALLY GOOD (steroids rock!). I also think I'm going to be really hungry all the time while on this. 14 day cycle.
Last edited by: Tridiot: Apr 18, 12 7:17
Quote Reply
Re: Any tips on treating some poison ivy I have on my forearms? [reutebh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
reutebh wrote:
Sounds wacky, but run hot water over the arms (check temp to ensure you won't burn yourself). In about 20-30 seconds it will start to itch even more. Keep the water running and in a minute or so the itching will subside and last quite a while. This was my go to a few years ago when I had it on my legs.

^^^ This ^^^ As hot and as long as you can stand it. Every night before bed, and every morning before work. Provided up to 8 hours of relief for me, I had it all over.
Quote Reply
Re: Any tips on treating some poison ivy I have on my forearms? (updated) [Tridiot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
does it look like this?

Chris
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was always paranoid about getting it as a young guy since I played in the woods a lot and I know I came in contact with it regularly. Even now when doing more primitive walking I see all over the place. But never had a reaction. Lucky I guess.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Any tips on treating some poison ivy I have on my forearms? (updated) [Smil'n Hawaiian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not as many large bubbles, but yes. And more of it. On both forearms.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those roids will knock it right down. Good luck. Now you know.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Any tips on treating some poison ivy I have on my forearms? (updated) [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But never had a reaction. Lucky I guess.

I believe something like 30% of the population does not react to that particular family.

I was so allergic of it as a kid that I didn't have to touch it, just breath the wrong air, and I'd get it. I ended up going thru a couple years of some sort of desensitization shots.

The first time I got I woke up in the morning with it coming out of my nose and around my mouth....that sucked.

My brother once tore into a huge "Vine" growing up the back side of his house....ooooppppss. He was seriously hurting status for a couple weeks. He had a similar "coming out of the nose" reaction.

I had an uncle that was in the national guard. They were doing one of their "Weekend trainings". They were in the woods. He went out to take a dump, grabbed some "leaves" and wiped...he got to go home the next day :-)

~Matt

Quote Reply
Re: Any tips on treating some poison ivy I have on my forearms? (updated) [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is something I never realized until I was older. Those silly vines with the hair on them were poison ivy. I used to yank them off my house and trees and use them as ropes to play indiana jones. I guess I didn't react to it, that could have been bad.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Any tips on treating some poison ivy I have on my forearms? (updated) [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those silly vines with the hair on them were poison ivy.

Or some other vine. There are several that look similar, some are not poison ivy.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Re: Any tips on treating some poison ivy I have on my forearms? (updated) [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is true, but the saying goes, if the vine has hair be scared. Those things always are kind of stupid.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is true, but the saying goes, if the vine has hair be scared. Those things always are kind of stupid.

And the "Leaves of three" is not true either. Leaves of three, hairy vine combo is pretty close to "Keep you're arse away" though :-)

~Matt

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a case of poison oak that became a staff infection, sort of looked like that picture, but more and on both arms. Ended up in the hospital, where they gave me some killer antibiotic, felt better almost immediately. Anyway, for two weeks the doctors kept swearing it was just poison oak, finally went to another Dr and he was the one that sent me to the emergency room. Just FYI, if it doesn't get better with the steroids.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always done the epsom salt baths and lots of swimming to dry it out. Like others, I'll get it if I ride by at 20mph. Haven't had any huge outbreaks in a while though.
Quote Reply

Prev Next