Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Strength training?
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to figure out why this is still pushed for endurance athletes. When doing squats your only doing 10-30 reps, so I couldn't see this benefitting anything other than building muscle mass. I don't quite see how this "muscle mass" could transfer into better performance for a purely aerobic exercise? If anything I would think it would slow you down.
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training? [phourgenres] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Search the forum...

Everything you wanted to know, much you don't and some very opinionated views are there for your delight and edification.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/...ning/a/aa123098a.htm

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Last edited by: irncpl: Apr 12, 12 18:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome to ST.

SEARCH THE FORUM!

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
phourgenres wrote:
I'm trying to figure out why this is still pushed for endurance athletes. When doing squats your only doing 10-30 reps, so I couldn't see this benefitting anything other than building muscle mass. I don't quite see how this "muscle mass" could transfer into better performance for a purely aerobic exercise? If anything I would think it would slow you down.

Mark Allen recommends it to anyone over 35 and Crowie picked up his strength routine last year and it seems to have worked for him.

http://www.active.com/...rength_Exercises.htm

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I understand, you build fast twitch cells with things like resistance training and intervals. Long efforts turn those cells into slowtwitch cells. Trying to add only efficiency without adding more muscle mass is difficult. You need to be able to push 24-26 mph... and THEN hold it.

My understanding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
phourgenres wrote:

You are right. It does not give you any gain to add bulky powerful muscle mass.

Just look at the Brownlees, and it's pretty clear that you don't need (or want) extra bulky muscles for peak performance in triathlon. Even if they are powerful ones.
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Strength is not in the 10-30 rep range.... Look at powerlifters olympic lifters who compete in strict weight classes , they only do 1-3 reps and focus of CNS programming via variance of dynamic (speed) and max effort rotations. You can see a 165lb guy benching 185 for 10 reps a setin the gym and he may look bigger / muscular than the guy doing 315 for one rep.
Quote Reply