Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

swimmer's hair
Quote | Reply
Any good suggestions for moisturizing hair? I've been swimming more, and my hair is really suffering. I do NOT use heat on it, and I already use moisturizer in shower and again leave-in afterward. I wet my hair before putting on my swim cap and getting in the pool.
What else?
Quote Reply
Re: swimmer's hair [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have heard of some people wetting their hair and applying conditioner before their swim... putting swim cap on over the "conditioner-ed" hair and swimming like that.
Just don't use some that smells strongly! It can bug the other folks in the pool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you using a harsh clarifying shampoo to remove the chlorine? I find that as long as I thoroughly wet my hair beforehand, I can just use my regular, moisturizing shampoo & I don't seem to have any issues with chlorine in my hair (it's highlighted blonde & it's not turning green or anything :)

What conditioner & leave-in are you using?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Wen cleansing conditioner (it's a shampoo/conditioner in one that feels more like a conditioner and doesn't suds up, but gets your hair clean). It's super pricey, but it's the BEST stuff. A lot of 'swimmers' shampoo/conditioners are really harsh on your hair to help clean the chemicals off and/or just regular shampoo with that label (mostly the kids swim shampoos are just baby shampoos w/ expensive labels). I've been using the Wen conditioning shampoo for over a year now swimming in the pool and ocean 5-6 times a week. Sometimes I wet my hair down first, but usually don't. The last time I had my hair cut/colored my hairdresser asked me if I gave up swimming.

I use the Sweet Almond Mint, I've tried others, but that's the one that is best for my hair. After a lot of searching the cheapest place I've found to buy the stuff is off of QVC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using "UltraSwim" Shampoo and Conditioner for years. Absolutely love it. It smells a bit sweet and fruit scented, but covers over all that nasty chlorine smell; I even use it to rinse out my bathing suit. If you are ultra sensitive to scent, it might be strong for some. I feel like my hair is well conditioned and soft after using it. I have it in Moisturizing Formula and Dry/Damaged Hair Formula.
Available at most triathlon stores, rei, sports basement or online: http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/2674.htm
Quote Reply
Re: swimmer's hair [Elsa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies
I use regular - Biolage and Aveeno - shampoo and conditioners. They're usually pretty good. I think my pool may be over chlorinated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been swimming for a few years, 5 days / week. I usually dampen my hair a little, put conditioner on and put on a lycra swimcap, followed by a silicone cap. (If I just put the silicone cap on, without the lycra cap underneath, it ends up sliding off in the water.) This seems to work, and the conditioner creates a barrier for the chlorinated water. After swimming, I shampoo with Nexxus Therappe and use Nexxus Humectress conditioner. I generally use a less expensive conditioner pre-swim.
Quote Reply
Re: swimmer's hair [Dakg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the nexxus therappe and humectress are amazing stuff - my mum gave me some samples, and they're incredible! however, they are really expensive.

this stuff is almost as good, but costs less than half what they want for nexxus:

http://www.tresemme.ca/...isture-Rich-Shampoo/

http://www.tresemme.ca/...re-Rich-Conditioner/

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
great advise

I just use a latex swim cap. What does the silicon cap on top do?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A public service announcement: do not put conditioner in your hair and leave it in when you go into the pool. It's unnecessary and puts particles into the pool which then have to be removed by the filtration system. And it also stinks; I can smell it a few lanes away when someone gets in who's done that.

As others have said, wet your hair thoroughly with plain old water before you put on your swim cap. And use any of the shampoos and conditioners mentioned by others in this thread until you find one that works ok for you.

I'm currently using Herbal Essence Hello Hydration 2-in-1 and if I ignore the odd blue color, it's working very nicely. It's on the shelf at any drug store. I used to use Malibu C which also worked well but is only a shampoo, so you'd need to get a conditioner to go with it.

BrokenSpoke
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kheil's All Sport Swimmer's Cleansing rinse. Totally neutralizes chlorine in your hair and on your skin. No odor. Stuff is like magic.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find the silicone caps more comfortable than the latex caps; they last longer and they're easier to get on and off. I put it over the lycra cap because there's less drag, and the lycra cap keeps the silicone cap on my head. This also keeps the small amount of conditioner I've used, on my head....it doesn't end up in the pool. Since I put the conditioner on damp hair, not wet hair, it actually stays on the hair.

Also, Costco has the Nexxus shampoo and conditioner in huge pump bottles, for a pretty reasonable price. I fill smaller bottles that I take with me to the pool.
Quote Reply
Re: swimmer's hair [Dakg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swear by Ultraswim. I had crazy swimmer's hair when I was a child age group swimmer and was thrilled when that product finally came out!
Quote Reply
Re: swimmer's hair [ozzie123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great advice.The summer is coming soon,i am considering swimming at that time.This indeed helps me solve the problem.
Quote Reply
Re: swimmer's hair [brokenspoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brokenspoke wrote:
As others have said, wet your hair thoroughly with plain old water before you put on your swim cap.

Why does wetting your hair help?
Quote Reply
Re: swimmer's hair [LB123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always heard that if it's saturated with regular water, it will absorb less of the chlorinated water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Elsa wrote:
I've always heard that if it's saturated with regular water, it will absorb less of the chlorinated water.

Hairsylist said it seals up the cuticle.

I use Nexxus Therappe and Milk Shake conditioner.
I have fine blonde hair that is shoulder length and it has done well with this combo. I also avoid washing it with shampoo on non-swim days, just a conditioner rinse and off I go.
Quote Reply