Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fluid Trainer Vs. Computer Trainer
Quote | Reply
I have been using a cycleops fluid trainer for the last few weeks, and it seeems to be a good indoor traing tool. On a computer trainer is it pretty much the same thing with a screen and a course to go through? Can the computer trainer change the degree of workout such in the instance of going up a hill without any manual adjustment? Is a computer trainer better in the sense you dont get board as easy? I am looking at buying a computer trainer, should I stick with my cycleops fluid trainer and be happy or move to a computer trainer?

"You're guaranteed to miss 100% of the shots you never take" - Wayne Gretzky
Quote Reply
Re: Fluid Trainer Vs. Computer Trainer [flytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Computrainer can adjust the resistance on the fly, either manually from the control box in SpinScan mode, or automatically during a course program.

I find the Computrainer to be an invaluable tool. It gives you visual feedback on your pedal stroke. It gives you your power output (accuracy can be debated). It can be programmed to simulate real world courses. You can save your performance over a given course, and 'race' yourself the next time around. This allows you to experiment with different race strategies, ie. out hard vs. out easy, work the hills vs work the flats, and see exactly where you gain/lose time.

I usually ride my CT 2 mornings a week, with longer rides outside on the weekends, and maybe a group ride one night. It allows me to get in a focused workout in a short period of time, with feedback on my technique and fitness level (HR vs. Power, etc.). You can do similar workouts on the fluid trainer, but the CT seems more 'real world' to me. When you want to do a hill workout, you punch in a 6% grade or whatever, and you grind it out in your 42/23, instead of putting your bike in the 54/12 on the fluid trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Fluid Trainer Vs. Computer Trainer [flytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find the best things about the computrainer are it's the least boring trainer I have used and the power output info. It is all entirely automatic with loads generated based on the course or it can also be used in ergometer mode where it maintains a constant wattage load regardless of pedalling speed (very useful to encourage higher cadence).

It really depends what your intended use is going to be. If you are only going to do 90 minute workouts max inside then you can hurt yourself just as easily on virtually any available trainer. But if you live where the weather sucks or job pressures and darkness confine you to the great indoors much of the time the extra money is very well spent.

Somewhere on the web I saw an article that compared Powertap, SRM and computrainer power readings and they were all within 1-2% of each other so I think the accuracy is not an issue in real world usage.
Quote Reply