Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Healthy eaters: What do you eat for breakfast? [Robert Preston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pre-workout (5:30a): Apple & water

Post workout (7:30a): Peanut butter & banana sandwich on whole grain toast with a pint of skim milk and a large black coffee.
Quote Reply
Re: Healthy eaters: What do you eat for breakfast? [jasondubose] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You really want to use kilojoules, kids.
Quote Reply
Re: Healthy eaters: What do you eat for breakfast? [Robert Preston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At least 2 breakfasts, at 5am and 9am:

Sprouted wheat bagel (toasted) with almond butter
Organic Granola with unsweetened almond milk and blueberries and banana
Walnuts, raw almonds
Coffee
1 scoop muscle milk with slkimmed milk
Fish oil, iron, magnesium, calcium, d3

On a business day I consume 75% of my calories in the morning.

Robert Preston wrote:
Title of thread is self-explanatory. Whaddya have first thing in the morning?

RP
Last edited by: Quinner: Apr 10, 12 13:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work out at 6 and don't eat anything before (rarely have something during). Then, around 9:

1 whole egg, 3 egg whites, scrambled together, with hot sauce and ketchup (heavy sweater, so i don't care about sodium)
2 pieces whole wheat toast
1 cup special k red berries cereal w/ 1 cup skim milk, w/ 1 banana sliced up and mixed in.

That's about 600 calories. If I've done a particularly hard workout, then I'll also have:

~4oz plain Greek yogurt
1 cup frozen berries
1 tbsp jam
1/4 cup of granola.

That's about another 300 calories.

It's a bunch of sugar, but I'm usually pretty glycogen depleted, and within ~45 minutes of working out when I eat it, so I don't worry about that at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Healthy eaters: What do you eat for breakfast? [suahoi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Be careful on the eggs, I used to live on them but I've had to give them up. My Doctor believes that all the endurance athletes he has eat way too many eggs, probably because it's light protein that is quick and easy to digest. I'm now allowed one every two weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: Healthy eaters: What do you eat for breakfast? [Quinner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for breakfast I eat:

6-8 wheatabix and two bowls of cornflakes, 2 cups of tea, 2 nutrigrain bars. Probably not the best breakfast....

Mid-morning i might eat something like a few ricecakes along with more tea

if im going for a long cycle that morning i put more into the furnace

http://www.swimcyclerun.com
Quote Reply
Re: Healthy eaters: What do you eat for breakfast? [Quinner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm very curious as to why you had to cut eggs down to 1 every 2 weeks, if you don't mind sharing.
Quote Reply
Re: Healthy eaters: What do you eat for breakfast? [silentcs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
silentcs42 wrote:
I'm very curious as to why you had to cut eggs down to 1 every 2 weeks, if you don't mind sharing.

I had some blood work done and it showed high bad cholesterol, never had a history of this and I consider my diet good. I eat a lot of eggs, the doctor says it's down to eggs and he has a few patients the same way i.e. very active, healthy diets but high cholesterol but no history of it. I've quit eggs for 3 months and will get tested again this week. I've not done much research on this, happy for you to shoot this down if you think he's wrong.
Last edited by: Quinner: Apr 10, 12 15:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greek yogurt and granola; or
Muesli with milk; or
Two eggs, any style, with oatmeal and fruit.

All with black coffee.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quick Oats, Dates and Dark Chocolate
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lucky Charms and Poptarts.

3 toasted whole-grain bagels with honey, two bananas, fat free milk and black coffee is pretty standard. Is that even healthy? I'm 6'4" 183 (ding) with 5-7% bf.

--------------------------------------------------------

It seemed like a good idea at the time. . .
Quote Reply
Re: Healthy eaters: What do you eat for breakfast? [type-B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. crepes with fruit

2. oatmeal+fruit+nuts+milk

3. plain nonfat yogurt
Quote Reply
Re: Healthy eaters: What do you eat for breakfast? [Cervelo Apple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheaper than a hospital stay....

leslie myers
http://www.foodsensenow.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1 Cup organic corn flakes
1 tbsp of..
almond flakes
flaxseed
linseed
pepitas
moist coconut flakes
1 of ..
Slced banana/whatever berries i hav

have that with rice milk.. keeps me for a long time huge ammount of good calories.

Sometimes i have..

Smoothie w'

Broccolli
spinach
apple
banana
frozen blueberries
2 Tablespoons of macadamia oil.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not always a healthy eater, but when I am I usually rotate the following breakfasts:

fruit & veggie smoothie (5-6 servings of fruit/veggies and 1-2 cups skim milk) usually takes me most of the morning to finish it

granola (homemade so there's no extra sugar/fat other than what I know is in there), fat free plain yogurt (usually greek) and fresh berries

1-2 times a week I have a breakfast of 3-4 scrambled eggs & a couple pieces of fruit w/ some OJ & carrot juice. I don't drink OJ a lot because it's just too sweet for me (and the mass produced not from concentrate stuff is so over processed etc...)

It's usually my second largest meal of the day. I tend to eat a larger lunch so I feel full longer in the afternoon for workouts etc. But I try to get at least 500 calories for breakfast which sometimes makes me feel like I'm eating a lot of food because most of what I eat is pretty low calories
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Protein powder, since it's the quickest way for my body to get protein. I add a few hard boiled eggs and cereal with 1% if I have time. If not, I add malto to the protein or just some chocolate candy for the carbs.

Oh for those who take coffee as part of the first thing in the morning, it's very bad for you for many reasons such as decreased testosterone (google cortisol and coffee).
Quote Reply
Re: Healthy eaters: What do you eat for breakfast? [climbz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
weekdays: 1-2C of diced veggies - some mix of tomatoes, bell peppers, brussels sprouts, asparagus, onion, garlic, kale, spinach, broccoli, etc sauteed in olive or coconut oil, then mix in 2-3 eggs (local), sauteed then broiled (frittata)

weekends for longer morning workouts - smoothie with 1C coconut milk, 1-1.5C mixed berries/cherries (fresh or frozen), walnuts or almonds, vanilla, greek yogurt yogurt or protein powder

espresso with cream or cappuccino unsweetened
Quote Reply
Re: Healthy eaters: What do you eat for breakfast? [RPMacDonald] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Indeed if you changed your diet to vegetarian for health gains.....you almost certainly are mistaken.
Quote Reply
Re: Healthy eaters: What do you eat for breakfast? [JollyRogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JollyRogers wrote:
weekdays: 1-2C of diced veggies - some mix of tomatoes, bell peppers, brussels sprouts, asparagus, onion, garlic, kale, spinach, broccoli, etc sauteed in olive or coconut oil, then mix in 2-3 eggs (local), sauteed then broiled (frittata)

weekends for longer morning workouts - smoothie with 1C coconut milk, 1-1.5C mixed berries/cherries (fresh or frozen), walnuts or almonds, vanilla, greek yogurt yogurt or protein powder

espresso with cream or cappuccino unsweetened

This is just a general reply to the thread, but yours in particular struck me. I am amazed at how much time some people appear to have to cook breakfast in the morning. Do you guys work from home, or just get up insanely early? There are lots of delicious suggestions in here, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Healthy eaters: What do you eat for breakfast? [saubbie23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do get up early, between 5 and 5:30 to walk my dog. Always been a morning person. I chose to live less than 10K from where I work so my commute is <20 minutes most days. I also have several ways of cutting down on prep time:

-do all my veggie chopping on the weekends, then store in tupperware so it's just a handful of this and a handful of that
-make a double batch of fritatta so I only have to do it every other day
-make the fritatta during/after dinner cooking so it's just a minute in the microwave away from being ready
Last edited by: JollyRogers: Apr 11, 12 6:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slice of toast (usually esekial-sp? bread) with peanut butter and some fruit on it (raspberries, dates, banana or blueberries)

Quote Reply
Re: Healthy eaters: What do you eat for breakfast? [saubbie23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I am amazed at how much time some people appear to have to cook breakfast in the morning. Do you guys work from home, or just get up insanely early? There are lots of delicious suggestions in here, though."

The same thing has struck me. How do you work out first thing in the morning, cook such a big breakfast and get to work at a decent time?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually do a couple bowls of cascadian farms purely o's with whole foods unsweetened soy milk w/ some berries and banana.

Michael J. Pelechaty
Brewer, Black Box Brewing Co.

"Yeah, I was depressed for a little while, but then I remembered how awesome I am."
Quote Reply
Re: Healthy eaters: What do you eat for breakfast? [avagoyamug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why am I mistaken?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cook it ahead of time, work out, go to work, throw breakfast in microwave and eat at desk.
Quote Reply

Prev Next