Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Healthy eaters: What do you eat for breakfast? [RPMacDonald] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RPMacDonald wrote:
technically Jason, it's 3000 kcal.... or Calories (capital "C"), a calorie (small "c") is the amount it takes to heat 1g water 1 degree celsius.

I've adopted a vegetarian diet (due to health benefits, not ethical reasons) as well as I have cut all gluten and milk products from my diet (and other allergens) in addition to refined/processed sugars and foods.

I have 2 scenarios:

Early (& lighter workout) = vega pre-workout energizer (1 scoop in water) and then eat a regular breakfast after

Standard Breakfasts (each is ~500 Calories)
A) Blueberry chia pudding
B) Oats + 2 tbsp shredded coconut, 1 tbsp cacao, 1 tbsp golden raisins, 1 tsp cinnamon
C) Shake (.5 cup of strawberries + .5 cup blueberries + .5 cup raspberries + 1 scoop Vega One)

Technically, RPMacDonald, the first word of your sentence should be capitalized. There also should have been a comma before my name, and Celsius is a proper noun.

-Jason
Quote | Reply
thank you spell / grammar police

Quote Reply
Re: Healthy eaters: What do you eat for breakfast? [RPMacDonald] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh we weren't playing a game of nitpicking each others' sentences? My mistake.

-Jason
Quote | Reply
there's a difference between grammar or spelling mistakes and actual factual mistakes...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like the "fact" that a vegetarian diet is healthy?

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Healthy eaters: What do you eat for breakfast? [jasondubose] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh! We are supposed to eat healthy? Most mornings I do except when my 3 year old and I go out for donuts or when I make him waffles. Okay so some mornings I eat heatly like oatmeal w/greek yogurt and a glass of muscle milk light.
Today however I choked down:
1. 3 scrambled eggs
2. 2 pieces of turkey sausage (I know turkey...we ran out of the better tasting pork sausage)
3. One ginourmous hunk of homemade coffee cake w/cream cheese filling and raspberries that compliment the 2 sticks of butter in the batter. I was up at 5am Easter Sunday baking for my wife and I figured today was probably the last day the coffe cake would still be good so I went for it.

I did jump on the trainer at 5am this morning for the Sufferest Endless Sprial + Long Shot followed by a cool down 1 mile run on the treadmill so I don't feel guilty about consuming a days worth of fat in one great tasting breakfast.
Quote Reply
Re: Healthy eaters: What do you eat for breakfast? [Robert Preston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what are some of the weekly grocery bills in this thread? I suspect big $$.

blueberries, wild nuts, blackberries, avocados, honey-suckle, lavender, natural-occurring oat, grass-fed goat milk. yikes. big $$.
Quote Reply
Re: Healthy eaters: What do you eat for breakfast? [Robert Preston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Organic, slow cook oats with fruit and locally baked whole grain bread or whole grain bagel. We buy the oats in bulk (50 lb bags) then divide that into large plastic zip loc bags. Orange juice and coffee. If I need more fuel I may add a couple of eggs.
Quote Reply
Re: Healthy eaters: What do you eat for breakfast? [Cervelo Apple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cervelo Apple wrote:
what are some of the weekly grocery bills in this thread? I suspect big $$.

blueberries, wild nuts, blackberries, avocados, honey-suckle, lavender, natural-occurring oat, grass-fed goat milk. yikes. big $$.

-----

It is interesting that you ask this as I just finished an experiment.For the month of March I tried to spend under $100 on groceries.I ended up spending $106ish and I only went over $100 because I bought two 2lt bottle of orange juice which I wanted to used in another experiment that I'm doing...

----
Quote Reply
Re: Healthy eaters: What do you eat for breakfast? [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how so low? Are you including normal grocery things (plastic wrap, mustard, random birthday cake mix) or just tri-diet stuff?
Quote Reply
Re: Healthy eaters: What do you eat for breakfast? [Jordano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jordano wrote:

Absolutely healthy! I don't see you offering any argument as to why it's not a healthy choice, but I'll provide you with the arguments I put forward when talking with vegetarians.

Here are the arguments against a vegetarian diet:

NOT ENOUGH PROTEIN INTAKE:
When you heat up protein, you denature that protein. When you denature a protein it becomes less functional in your body - so you're body's unable to use all of the protein in meat sources. Plant-based protein (chickpeas, beans, spirulina, nuts, ....) are all great sources of protein. Generally, we require 1 - 1.5 g of protein per kg of body weight, so at 190lb, I require ~ 85 - 130g of protein per day.

B VITAMINS & IRON INTAKE:
If you pay attention to what you're putting in your body, this isn't an issue. The Vega One supplement also provides additional minerals and vitamins (including iron and B's) to top everything up. And it's completely plant based and has a high level of bio-availability (your body is able to absorb the nutrients), which is always an issue with supplements. Since I've been eating a vegetarian diet for the past 6 months, I've had my minerals and vitamins checked through blood tests and have still remained above the average levels.

JUST LIKE MEAT, PLANTS CONTAIN CONTAMINANTS
Eat organic & local.

- Any others?

Anyone who wants to make the argument, watch Food Matters.

Cervelo, my grocery bill is generally around 80 - 120 / week depending on what I need to top up in terms of spices, nuts, pasta, ...

Quote Reply
Re: Healthy eaters: What do you eat for breakfast? [RustyJones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Breakfast burrito or menudo. Or both. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1/2 cup regular oatmeal (dry)with 1 cup water, with salt, little brown sugar, raisins or craisins , all microwaved 2 minutes toppped with sprinkle toasted walnuts drink a single scoop protein drink. Take my vitamins and 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar.

http://bigmikega.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Banana before my workout

After workout, shaker bottle with 1 scoop of whey protein isolate, half OJ, half water, and chia seeds

After I shower, then it's breakfast time...I usually have 1-2 scrambled eggs and a bowl of granola with kefir
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1 whole egg, 4 egg whites, 100 grams of black beans (not canned), 3oz of shredded buffalo chicken. All scrambled together. 1/4 cup salsa on top.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I workout first thing, and usually have a serving or two of Ultragen right after. But an hour or so after that I have one of the following:

Egg/feta in whole wheat wrap w/ a banana and some strawberries
PB on whole wheat flatbread w/ a banana and some strawberries
Old fashioned oatmeal with flaxseed, skim milk, PB, cinnamon, (very little) honey, and a banana...strawberries on the side

Not sure if that's healthy or not....but it works for me.

-Chris

Chris Harris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a consultation with a dietician a few weeks ago and was told I should have:
1 serving carbs
1 serving protein
1 serving fruit

Sample breakfasts she gave me were oatmeal with fruit and nuts, toast with nut butter and fruit, or yogurt and granola with a piece of fruit.

This morning I had slow cooker oatmeal - awesome as I put it in the slow cooker the night before and get to wake up to a hot breakfast that's ready to eat as soon as I roll out of bed. Mix in some raisins (or apple or peach or ...), throw on some almonds or walnuts, pour a small glass of OJ and voila! a balanced breakfast that sits happily in my stomach through my masters swim.

I then have a post-swim snack/second breakfast that's the same carbs/protein/fruit ratio.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two cups of coffee.

Three eggs (any style/ organic free range from my own chickens in the backyard)

2-3 sausages or bacon strips (nitrate free, pastured pork)

1 cup of a vegetable like spinach or a piece of fruit.

Pretty much eat the same thing every morning. I'm a creature of habit. Once and a while I will make a fried egg sandwich with gluten free bread if I need more carbs for a workout or a race.

And yes, I do consider this to be very healthy.

Dave

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Generally, it's a 2/3 serving of oatmeal mixed with 2-3 tablespoons of Greek yogurt and sprinkled with some fruit. If it's a Lazy Sunday and I'm waking up in the late afternoon, right before I call Parnell just to see how he's doin, I'll make a loaded omlette.

Quote | Reply
I dig the vegetarian foods (so this is not an attack on the diet), but I am interested in your comment on the denaturing of proteins.

It would seem to me that denaturing is a critical step in making amino acids available. I am pretty confident that the first thing that happens when proteins are immersed in stomach acid is the denaturing of the protein.
Quote Reply
Re: Healthy eaters: What do you eat for breakfast? [Jordano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jordano wrote:

It certainly isn't unhealthy in any meaningful way.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Healthy eaters: What do you eat for breakfast? [silentcs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, I would agree that the denaturing argument is a red herring.
At the worst it just means a steak has a few % less steak left after you cook it. big deal, eat a few % more steak.

people get led astray worrying about that stuff. like pasteurized milke, some of the nutrients are lost! oh no! everyone is fat anyway I think they can live with their milk having a bit less milk in it =)

silentcs42 wrote:
I dig the vegetarian foods (so this is not an attack on the diet), but I am interested in your comment on the denaturing of proteins.

It would seem to me that denaturing is a critical step in making amino acids available. I am pretty confident that the first thing that happens when proteins are immersed in stomach acid is the denaturing of the protein.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Healthy eaters: What do you eat for breakfast? [Cervelo Apple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cervelo Apple wrote:
how so low? Are you including normal grocery things (plastic wrap, mustard, random birthday cake mix) or just tri-diet stuff?

---
For the most part I already had stuff like plastic wrap and toilet paper and all that stuff but I used the same sort of frugal eating that I have adopted on all my bike tours.

For example I can buy a 1kg bag of rolled oats for,1kg bag of quick oats,a box of generic weetbix(32 biscuits),two bags of mixed dried friut and nuts and a 750gm tin of choc power and 3lts of milk all for under $15....That is enough to distribute into about 16-18 ziplock bags which takes care of two weeks of morning meals..

Roast or steamed vegetable every day,which are super cheap..

Rice dishes with tuna and beans and vegies..(4kg of rice =$4...tins of tuna=90c...tins of five bean mix=$1 etc.etc)

Cheap bulk eggs..

The only sauces I have are soy sauce and sweet chilli sauce,all other flavourings come from mixed herbs..

Fruits on special...

Cheap coffee(that was hard)

Cheese and various meats were bought only if they were on special..

It was a very spartan month but I continued to train and work and one thing I noticed is that by the end of the experiment I required much smaller portions..

No booze,no treats,no nights out.....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You just argued how a Vegetarian diet could be as healthy as an omnivorous diet. Yes, if you are super careful about it a Vegetarian diet won't screw you up. How is it an improvement over the identical diet including lean and/or grass fed/ wild caught, local (blah, blah, blah) meat/ fish sources? It isn't. The China Study is bunk and for every documentary promoting vegetarianism there are 10 convincing books written about diets based in evolutionary biology (ie chomping on Buffalo meat).

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Quote Reply
Re: Healthy eaters: What do you eat for breakfast? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RMP frames it as an improvement over his meat inclusive diet. His new diet may well be better "for health reasons" but not because of the lack of meat.

Quote Reply

Prev Next