Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
This is the April Swim Thread
Quote | Reply
2,500 yds for me this AM after a 6 mile run. I lifted yesterday and my shoulders were tired.

2 x [400 swim + 100 kick] warmup
10 x 150 as 25k/50d/75swim

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
very impressive (ego) there.

-------------------------------------

thanks,

Aluminum Man
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Short and sweet swim at the office today.

My swim buddy brought me some chocolate milk for after the workout. He watched the Dara videos ;-) Love my buddies.

Continuous Warm Up
200 Swim / 200 Kick / 200 Free &Bk / 200 Swim Drill Choice

Main Set I:
400 Pull @ 6’
50 Back /Free EZ @ 1:15
300 Pull @ 4:30
50 Back / Free EZ @ 1:15
200 Pull @ 3’
50 Back / Free EZ @ 1:15

Main Set II:
5 x 100 @ 2’ Popov's (SPRINT & NO BREATHING FIRST 25 to flip, REALLY!, Then cruise the rest of the 75 and breathe all you want) Happy w/ 1:15 for last 100 and two strokes off wall before breath.

Warm Down

3. x 50 EZ @ 1'
(2500m)

EDIT: Didn't really mean for the red font, just cut and pasted workout from Word. Red for my swim buddies, sometimes they think I'm joking around :-)

Last edited by: sweet_wtr: Apr 2, 12 17:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4/1 (no joke):

400 w/u
6x(150 on 2:00, 100 on 1:20, 50 on :55) 1:50-1:43, 1:13->1:08
6x(75 on 1:00, 50 on :50, 25 on 25) :52->:49 on the last 75

3100scy

4/2:

800 w/u
4x(200 on 3:00, 150 on 2:15, 100 on 1:30, 50 on 1:00):
2:28/1:49/1:11
2:25/1:47/1:10
2:23/1:45/1:09
2:21/1:12(stopped at 100)/1:08

2800scy

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4500 lc meters for me today. I'm not a lifetime swimmer, so I never remember the main sets. But my warmup was 100, 200, 300, 400, 300, 200, 100. And the cool down was 3x100's-cruise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't swim 4/1 - rode bike, instead.

This AM:
300 mix w/u
3x100s@1:30 1:10/:08/:08
1:00 rest
500s 5:51
1:00 rest
1000s 12:00
300 s/k cool

2400 sc yardages

This month I will back the yardage way down and skip days to run and ride.
The April challenge at the pool is improving Personal Bests at various distances up to 1 mile and a 12 minute swim.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only got 850 in today I am about to lose a toenail but it is still connected on one side, it started flapping all over in the pool so I tried to to tape it down so it wouldn't rip out and cause bleeding (I tried ripping the whole toe off the other day but it started bleeding so I quit) After getting the tape on I got a couple laps and then the tape came loose, and then I tried to get on a rubber glove finger tip but it came off when the tape got wet also.

Anyone have ways to swim with most of a toenail off, but not all the way without ripping the toenail all the way out from where it is still anchored?
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [Blacktocomm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
200 swim
200 kick
200 dr(fist/fr)
4x75 fl/bk/br
4x75 fr

10x100@2:00 (1:24-1:16)
10x50@1:00 (:40-:35)

100 kick
200 mix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Each day i feel tired and think i will ride or run, but forcing myself to the pool instead. Just entered the regional champs in a couple weeks, don't want to completely embarass myself.

Broken 1650(500/400/300/200/100/150@1;30 base)6;54/5;17/3;54/2;29/1;11/1;52 for 20;57 total.
5x200-odds IM kick@4;30/even broken IM's- Kicks- 3;37/3;35/3;27--IM broken 50@1;00- 2;23(33/38/40/32) 2x100IM@2;30--1;15/1;12-
500 steady pull-6;25
3x100 fly kick@2;00- 1;46/1;47/1;45
150SD
3600SCY
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [Blacktocomm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blacktocomm wrote:
I only got 850 in today I am about to lose a toenail but it is still connected on one side, it started flapping all over in the pool so I tried to to tape it down so it wouldn't rip out and cause bleeding (I tried ripping the whole toe off the other day but it started bleeding so I quit) After getting the tape on I got a couple laps and then the tape came loose, and then I tried to get on a rubber glove finger tip but it came off when the tape got wet also.

Anyone have ways to swim with most of a toenail off, but not all the way without ripping the toenail all the way out from where it is still anchored?

dude that is really gross and i can't even see this situation. i'm sure you didn't really try ripping your whole toe off... also it seems like you made a toe condom of sorts. there might be a market for that? i have no experience with this and hope i never do but here are some thoughts as i sit here wrinkling up my face as i type:
1) bandage and tape before your feet get wet.
2) cut the majority of the nail off so there is very little able to 'flap' around, even in air
3) take a couple days off from the pool and heal up. come back ready to rock.
good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [sweet_wtr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sweet_wtr wrote:
Blacktocomm wrote:

dude that is really gross and i can't even see this situation. i'm sure you didn't really try ripping your whole toe off... also it seems like you made a toe condom of sorts. there might be a market for that? i have no experience with this and hope i never do but here are some thoughts as i sit here wrinkling up my face as i type:
1) bandage and tape before your feet get wet.
2) cut the majority of the nail off so there is very little able to 'flap' around, even in air
3) take a couple days off from the pool and heal up. come back ready to rock.
good luck.

I did try and cut the whole toe off!! I was so upset with it causing me problems I just took some scissors to it and started hacking away..

Okay not really, but I was very upset.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saturday 31st/Sunday 1st: Freestyle swim clinic. 12hrs at the pool*, just under 8 actually in the water. My shoulders still ache.
I learned a ton from that clinic and as soon as my shoulders recover, and I get over this cold I'm suffering through, I want to see how much it affected my times.

The next couple of weeks I'll be doing a ton of drills, so lower yardage. Trying to get everything to stay in my stroke. Swimming never felt better than yesterday at about 3pm.

* Total, not each day, that'd be silly.

----------------------------------
http://ironvision.blogspot.com ; @drSteve1663
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dilbert situation at my office (the real one not the chlorinated one) and I am not very happy about it. It's my birthday, too. I'm in a new AG!

10 mile run
1000 yd swim

neither of which felt good, actually.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
toe condom? toe condom???

yesterday...

3,000 meters slow -- broken up into sets I don't remember
10K run @ 45 min (not hard, but with friend went faster than I would have alone)

today...

Boy, my legs are still sore. I must have kicked really hard this weekend. Or... or, could yesterday's 10k run have anything to do with it?
Taking a break today and thinking about more specialization. Unfortunately, not much overlap for 50/100 yard swim training and traditional triathlon training.
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
toe condom? toe condom???

yesterday...

3,000 meters slow -- broken up into sets I don't remember
10K run @ 45 min (not hard, but with friend went faster than I would have alone)

today...

Boy, my legs are still sore. I must have kicked really hard this weekend. Or... or, could yesterday's 10k run have anything to do with it?
Taking a break today and thinking about more specialization. Unfortunately, not much overlap for 50/100 yard swim training and traditional triathlon training.

yeah seriously, that's all I could think in my mind! gross. moving on, in re: to the 50/100 and tri training, do what keeps it fun for ya!
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So SH, good job on the 2 day meet. I was pretty sure you were swimming yards, but you almost always post SCM workouts here, i wasn't 100% sure that you live in some country that only uses meters. And i did not know you are in the 45+ AG, so well done. You are certainly fast enough to score at masters nationals, and be a great asset on any team. Funny thing though, looking back at last years results, that 45+ was often faster than the 40+ division, especially in distance free events. Just a ton of really great swimmers that have kept it up aging into that group i guess, because it should really be slowing down by that age..Good luck, you going to nationals??

I got in again today, 4th day in a row, and added some rest and yardage in preparation for my meet coming up;

21x100@1;30, every 3rd one IM--Swims-1;21 to 1;17/ IM's- 1;22/20/20/18/18/18/17
9x100 kick@1;55 fast-odds fly/brst, evens free/brst- 1;40/43/40/42/40/38/38/37/1;35
100easy
5x200, odds pull moderate@3;00/ even broken IM- pulls-2;33/2;28/2;28 IM broken at 50's@1;30--2;18(32/37/39/30) 2nd one kick 50's@1;30--43 dolphin/53 back/42 brst/ 41 free kick
200dolphin kick--3;42
100SD
4300SCY
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love reading your workouts... you do stuff I would not write for myself! You're a good influence on me ;-)

Curious about your kick sets. Do you use a board or mix it up - no board, on back, side, front, etc. I need to add more kick sets and I usually don't use a board. I don't use fins either and curious if that would be something good to add, esp. for fly kick. I am a close contender for World's Worst Kicker.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For my kick sets i use a board, but kick all the way to wall(no last one stroke pull) and stay off the lane lines. Use to hate the kids that pulled on the lines, stroke into the walls, and would turn around early, so with my kicking i'm a right wing conservative.

I think for you kicking would be a great supplement to your speed. Since you say you are a bad kicker, even more so. Just in the last week i can feel not just my kick getting a lot faster, but my strokes are following. Freestyle is not that evident, but the other 3 strokes really rely on a good kick, so having one just makes it that bit easier to go fast.

Just like i have been telling dan lately, don't get caught up too much on how slow you are going. Get a baseline of where you are at, perhaps a set of 5x100's on an interval that gives you 20 seconds or so rest, and then just get after it. Poor dan is really the worlds worst kicker, does a 100 in about 4 minutes. SO i have instructed him to just do really hard 25's and an occasional 50, until he has gained some speed. Bad kickers tend to fall apart rather quickly, so better to hold form and speed for a really short time, take a bunch of rest, then repeat. Eventually you will be able to extend your speed and form until one day you are kind of a kicker.

Good luck, amazing that you go as fast as you do in the strokes, but you feel you are a bad kicker. I would say there is your low hanging fruit..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
had the afternoon off since I am on "spring break" (I know, you guys are all jealous) so i was able to go to my swim club's practice for the first time in weeks. Total of 10,500 yards. Been a while since I've done that much with tri training. I'll just post the main free set (keep in mind this is the coach that gave Jeff Kostoff those legendary distance sets):

200, 2x100, 50
400, 2x200, 2x50
600, 2x300, 3x50
800, 2x400, 4x50

the left column was on 1:10 base, the middle column was for time on 1:05 base, and the right column was easy. Hit 3:55 on the last 400

I think I've earned my ben & Jerry's free cone day.

Stanford University Cardinal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, low hanging fruit for sure! Once the meets started this winter, I realized I needed more power off the walls and stronger legs in the water. Then at a drop in practice in Phoenix, AZ a couple weeks ago I was more than humbled (always a good thing)... I showed up on kick day. I kicked slower than a turtle compared to the group and one particular female who does similar race times as I do!

I'm doing six events at Nationals, one of them the 100 fly. I feel like I need to rock a stronger fly kick for that meet. My breaststroke kick is strong but all else is almost laughable. Somehow it all works together though. I'm thinking if I can fine tune my events and improve my kicking in the next few weeks I should have a fighting chance to hold my own in Greensboro.

Back in the pool on Friday (virus got the whole family as of today)... going to do some interval kicking with the stretch cord! Kick sets will be in every workout until Greensboro!
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [TheWaterIsOpen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheWaterIsOpen wrote:
had the afternoon off since I am on "spring break" (I know, you guys are all jealous) so i was able to go to my swim club's practice for the first time in weeks. Total of 10,500 yards. Been a while since I've done that much with tri training. I'll just post the main free set (keep in mind this is the coach that gave Jeff Kostoff those legendary distance sets):

200, 2x100, 50
400, 2x200, 2x50
600, 2x300, 3x50
800, 2x400, 4x50

the left column was on 1:10 base, the middle column was for time on 1:05 base, and the right column was easy. Hit 3:55 on the last 400

I think I've earned my ben & Jerry's free cone day.

I would grab a couple pints or even order the Vermonster... just reading that made my shoulders hurt. You are amazing! I'm stealing that main set for a tri focused workout. Holy cow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No public lane swimming at my pool for the last 2 days, so I had a semi-rest day on Sunday (2.5 hr walk with the dog). and treadmill / weights yesterday. Raring to go today.

I didn't really keep track, but at least 3000m today, probably closer to 3500. mostly steady 400's (400 s, 400 k, 400 p) some other stuff, and wrapped up with a set of 10x50 on 1:00 and 2 fast 50's

(38/37/36/36/36/36/39/39/37/35). took a break, then wrapped it up with 2 hard 50s with about 2 mins rest between each. Swam a 31 and a 32. I feel like I'm not quite clicking on the hard stuff yet, my timing needs work and I think I'm dropping my left elbow. Things to think about for tomorrow.

Overall, I don't think it is a bad start to the second week of my comeback.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't been in the pool since October, and it showed. I used to do 300 yard repeats at 4:50 with 20 seconds rest. Today, I was at 5:25 or 5:30. Let's hope my times come back down.
Quote Reply
Re: This is the April Swim Thread [kcb203] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4/4 :

6 mi run
2700 yds:

400 s + 100k
300 s + 100 k
200 s + 100 k
100 s + 100 k
4 x 50 on :50
4 x 100 on 1:35
4 x 150 on 2:15
100 c/d

Starting to feel better after a couple days of feeling sluggish.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monty: Yes, I am going to Nationals. I signed up for six events there, but I'm probably only going to swim five. The 100 fly just isn't for me, and I want my shoulders to make it through 3 days of swimming. 45-49 is a tough age group. That Ross Davis swam 3 events in a row on Sunday. 100br/200fr/50fly. The middle race, the 200 free, he did in 1:45. I don't even know if he shaved for that meet. Then he came back and swam a 2:00 in the 200IM for his last event of the day. It's too bad he won't be going to Nationals. =)

Today...

600 warmup

12x50 @50 breathing drills

pulling -- buoy no paddles...
300@4:30
200@3:00 (2:25)
100@1:30 (1:02) =)

1x100@1:30
2x100@1:20 (ave: 1:13)
1x100@1:30
3x100@1:20 (ave: 1:13)
1x100@:1:30
4x100@1:20 (ave: 1:13)

100 warm down

3100 scm

Felt pretty good about today. A few months ago I could never have thrown down a 1:02 with a pull buoy. Also, even if I did it swimming, my workout would have been effectively over from all the lactic acid in my muscles. Today, I felt like I could still go after that. Those 1:13s weren't that hard.
Quote Reply

Prev Next