Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Polar 610/710/720 users question
Quote | Reply
Hi, can anyone using the Polar 610/710/720 HRM's tell me if they can download using any old IR port? Does it have to be the Polar one?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Polar 610/710/720 users question [Scott in NZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used the standard IR port on my Fujitsu laptop to connect to my Polar 720 without any problems.

David
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
720 will connect to any IR port running win 98 or later. 610 and 710 will only work with the polar port unless, and I doubt this will apply, you are running win 95 and then it will work with any built in IR port. I think the 610i works with any port now too, kinda like the 720. If not, they all work via sonic-link for uploading. Good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott,

Was just on holiday in NZ and downloaded my wifes 710 into my Compaq notebooks IR port without problems. Normally use the Polar IR port at home.

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Polar 610/710/720 users question [Tai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 710 and a cycling buddy has a 710i (it's stamped on the metal casing on the back of the watch). he can use any IR port, I can only use the Polar add-on thing. the "720" is actually the 720i, the i stands for IR.

hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar 610/710/720 users question [brad in WA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a very timely question for me, since I happen to be on hold right now waiting to talk to Polar about how to make it work! I recently purchased a 720i. It works with the IR port on my laptop, but so far not with the SigmaTel USB-IR port on my desktop PC. If I get useful info from Polar, I'll be sure to post it; otherwise, I'll be hoping others here can offer some! I'm glad to hear Tai say that the 720i is supposed to work with any IR port.

Natrin
Quote Reply
Re: Polar 610/710/720 users question [natrin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, after roughly 30 minutes on hold, I was told to leave a message and they'd get back to me. So, I'm on to plan B, hoping that someone here can provide the answer!

Natrin
Quote Reply
Re: Polar 610/710/720 users question [natrin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a 610i last month, and it will not connect with my laptop IR port. I was told it would if I installed an older Windows version. Good idea. But with the Polar IR port it works fine, just annoying to need the extra piece. And the polar USB connection seems vulnerable to disconnecting without stopping the port first. I can just jank the cord with most of my USB toys, but with the polar it goes on tilt.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Re: Polar 610/710/720 users question [gerard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a S710i and it works with the built in irDA port on a Dell laptop. I think the difference with the i versions is that they are irDA ports, not just IR ports. I also use the Polar USB IR adapter and have no problems hot plugging/unplugging it.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar 610/710/720 users question [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I have an irDA port, not IR, that the 610i does not work with (I use Windows 2000 if that makes any difference). It seems to be hit and miss, but either way it is no big (be it a $40 one) inconvenience to use the Polar reader.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised that your 610i doesn't work. Does it work at all? Stupid question, do you have the irDA port enabled? AutoDiscovery? Does the port work with any other devices?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have the latest version of the Polar software installed? When I first got my 710i, the version included with the watch did not seem to work with my laptop. Once I installed the update from Polar, it did.

This could have been a coincidence though; I might have changed something else in the meantime.

I also have Windows 2000.

--

Ray
Quote Reply