Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
ASEA water? Anyone using this? Reviews?

A friend gave me 2 bottles of ASEA water and said its great for athletes and you will see some small improvements in your times if you use it regularily. I'd never even heard of it and did a little google work on it and have read mixed reviews. One thing that really stood out is that Rich Roll has researched it extensively including visiting the HQ in utah and he believes it helps in recovery and energy levels. Anyone else any thoughts? Or tried it? Its basically distilled water with sodium and chloride added.

"I swim because that's how I get to ride my bike."

Re: ASEA water? Anyone using this? Reviews? [Dopers.Suck] [ In reply to ]

It is snake oil. The theory behind it makes sense, but the stuff itself is bullshit.

Michael J. Pelechaty
Brewer, Black Box Brewing Co.

"Yeah, I was depressed for a little while, but then I remembered how awesome I am."

Re: ASEA water? Anyone using this? Reviews? [Cheddar] [ In reply to ]

I'm a huge fan of Rich Roll, who I believe is sponsored by Asea. I have never found him a person that would recommend something that is bullshit, but I have a hard time believing this stuff.

---
KyleKranz.com
Win a pair of SKORA Running Shoes!

"HQ in utah"

And there is your bullshit tip off. Utah is ground zero for multi level marketing bullshit.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.

I really feel depressed when I realize that such a large chunk of our population is so scientifically illiterate that they believe this pseudo-scientific dribble sufficiently to make them into viable businesses. This product is no different than the "ion-balance bracelets", the "Oxygen Enriched" water, energy channeling crystals or 19th C. snake oil.

These products use scientific terms & language to suggest and imply some benefit: i.e. "Moreover, the contents of Asea water has been tested by third-party sources and they have confirmed that Asea contains the exact same molecules as found in each of our cells. " (ASEA website)

While this is technically true of ASEA water, it is also true of the gutter water in Calcutta. Maybe I can bottle that and sell it to the gullible?

Re: ASEA water? Anyone using this? Reviews? [ipull400watts] [ In reply to ]

I laughed when my friend gave it to me but after stumbling on Rich Rolls long write up about how skeptical he was and after using it he noticed some obvious changes , it really made me wonder. If you know anything about Rich, he's offered products all the time from company's that want to sponsor him but he's extremely anal about what he puts into his body! This really made me think, I might try the 2 bottles and see for myself, it can't hurt anything:)

"I swim because that's how I get to ride my bike."

I call BS. I went to their web site. It is a beautifully created with all sorts of science terms being applied in new and creative ways. Redox Signaling molecules.... That does sound sciency! (It even has a Wiki entry on it so it must be true)

So what exactly are there Redox Signaling Molecules that Asea claims to have in their water? Are they complex organic molecules? Please give me a description: molecular weight. composition, etc. I want to know what I'm ingesting - is it some reactive organic chemical? Gasoline, formaldehyde and PCB are also reactive organic chemicals... also they are mutagens, carcinogens and teratogens like many complex organic molecules....

And what is the metabolic process that gets these "RSM"s to the mitochondria after we drink them? They pass through the gastro-intestinal system and are distributed to the right cells? How?

If there was ANY truth behind this bio-chemical ASEA process they would be seeking FDA approval and either selling / licensing it to one of the big pharma companies for $Billions or simply going into production themselves. As it stands they hide behind a 'health supplement' label. This is a way to sell unregulated substances and to make some suggestions on possible health 'benefits' with out the need to actually have proof of their effectiveness (i.e. peer reviewed, double blind studies).

As for Rich Roll, well he is an incredible athlete... but 1.) he's sponsored (paid) by these guys 2.) he's no bio-chemist

I'm pro business and for making money but I get upset when someone takes advantage of people's desire to be healthy and fleeces them.

Re: ASEA water? Anyone using this? Reviews? [mgalanter] [ In reply to ]

Being in med school we've gone through this in depth through different chemistry and biology classes:

A Redox in molecular equations simply means that specific atoms are losing electrons (oxidation) while others gain electrons (reduction) through the reaction. This literally would not have any profound impact on performance what-so-ever.

Stop buying into this pseudo-science stuff. It is a psychological marketing scheme that has been around for decades

Edit* You asked about how this effects the mitochondria. The website is simply eluding that your body will process ATP (adenosine triphosphate) faster. This is what all living cells need for energy.

Sorry I don't have time to answer those questions more specifically.

< Quitting Isn't An Option >

Last edited by: CJS25: Mar 1, 12 3:40

Re: ASEA water? Anyone using this? Reviews? [CJS25] [ In reply to ]

There seem to be some misunderstandings about ASEA on this page. I was introduced to ASEA 4 months ago by someone who is a leader in health in the UK and internationally and who has taught me about natural supplements of different kinds and cellular healing. I have used various supplements on myself and clients for several years and generally have a good sense of what they do. Please note, I am not here to sell ASEA. There are no links within this thread to a company site. My intention is purely to clarify the facts about what ASEA is and does.

1. ASEA's ingredients are salt water and redox signaling molecules as proven by third party testing. 15 kinds of RSMs are in ASEA although the specific composition is not made public. It was thought impossible that these molecules would be stabilised ( previously they just returned to the salt water state). It has taken 16 years of foundational research to get to this point and the atomic physicist Gary Samuelson took 3 years to stabilise the molecules. This is why ASEA is groundbreaking.
2. If you look on Pubmed for info about RSMs , you will see the crucial role they play in health. It is a key role as we would die without these molecules within minutes and after the age of 12 , their numbers begin decreasing. They exist in every cell and they repair and replace cells and also protect them. If you spray ASEA on a burn, watch how it heals much quicker than usual.
3. Athletes are using ASEA because it improves endurance and recovery as prelim VT tests have shown. Many elite athletes are now using ASEA because it is helping them in competition and boosting energy levels. Rich Roll is one of those athletes as is Olympian Sinjin Smith. Gold medallist Eric Heiden and BMC team doctor Max Testa are now doing a clinical trial witn ASEA with results hopefully out soon.
4. The ASEA founders are promoting ASEA because they know the world desperately needs it and because it works on a cellular level it can benefit everybody. With reference to your comment about the FDA, the founders were in fact offered a multi million dollar deal by a top drug company for the patent, but they then discovered that the company was going to buy the patent and shelve it. In other words, the public would not get the product. They also felt that as people automatically wanted to share ASEA because it was changing their health, that they could spread the wealth through networking it. Even though network marketing was a new area for them, they did not want it in the hands of a drug company.

If you have a high level of mistrust with MLM companies, then nothing will convince you otherwise. I could be talking rubbish. Ultimately, you will only know whether ASEA works by actually taking it for several months yourself. 2 bottles will not necessarily give you an indication of results. Sometimes, people's energy levels improve immediately but for others it can take 6 months as stagnant energy inside the cells is cleared and cells are replaced. If you do take ASEA, it's worth monitoring not just the major illness/ area you wish to track. Often ASEA works at more subtle levels as well so be aware of all changes that occur after taking it.

Re: ASEA water? Anyone using this? Reviews? [sealover] [ In reply to ]

Wow, seallover really knows what he's talking bout. 19 years of research and involvement of an atomic physicist! Sign me up!

Wow. This post has everything!

sealover wrote:
1. ASEA's ingredients are salt water and redox signaling molecules as proven by third party testing. 15 kinds of RSMs are in ASEA although the specific composition is not made public

OK- can we see the testing? What did this "testing" consist of - what was the significance of the testing - did they just show what the water contained, or actual efficacy of the water in terms of your claims?

Quote:
It was thought impossible that these molecules would be stabilised ( previously they just returned to the salt water state). It has taken 16 years of foundational research to get to this point and the atomic physicist Gary Samuelson took 3 years to stabilise the molecules. This is why ASEA is groundbreaking.

The "salt water state?" What does that even mean? It really helps your scientific credibility to not make up phrases. Also, why would an atomic physicist have anything to do with this? You'd want a chemist, specifically a synthetic chemist, to do this work.

Quote:
2. If you look on Pubmed for info about RSMs , you will see the crucial role they play in health. It is a key role as we would die without these molecules within minutes and after the age of 12 , their numbers begin decreasing. They exist in every cell and they repair and replace cells and also protect them. If you spray ASEA on a burn, watch how it heals much quicker than usual.

OK - just because you ingest something doesn't mean that it gets absorbed or incorporated. Why would your proprietary compound not simply pass right through or get nuked by first pass metabolism?

Quote:
3. Athletes are using ASEA because it improves endurance and recovery as prelim VT tests have shown. Many elite athletes are now using ASEA because it is helping them in competition and boosting energy levels. Rich Roll is one of those athletes as is Olympian Sinjin Smith. Gold medallist Eric Heiden and BMC team doctor Max Testa are now doing a clinical trial witn ASEA with results hopefully out soon.
Can we see these tests? Also, everyone understands that pro endorsements are not equivalent to peer-reviewed research, and they never have been. Clinical trial? I couldn't find anything on clinicaltrials.gov, but perhaps it's not registered.

Quote:
4. The ASEA founders are promoting ASEA because they know the world desperately needs it and because it works on a cellular level it can benefit everybody. With reference to your comment about the FDA, the founders were in fact offered a multi million dollar deal by a top drug company for the patent, but they then discovered that the company was going to buy the patent and shelve it. In other words, the public would not get the product. They also felt that as people automatically wanted to share ASEA because it was changing their health, that they could spread the wealth through networking it. Even though network marketing was a new area for them, they did not want it in the hands of a drug company.

Oh, okay. You are the good guys! Going against big, bad pharma. Evil pharmaceutical companies that just want your money and so they hide all of the miracle cures so that they can ensure they never make it to market!

Using conspiracy theories to sell your snake oil? I shouldn't have expected better.

Quote:
If you have a high level of mistrust with MLM companies, then nothing will convince you otherwise. I could be talking rubbish. Ultimately, you will only know whether ASEA works by actually taking it for several months yourself. 2 bottles will not necessarily give you an indication of results. Sometimes, people's energy levels improve immediately but for others it can take 6 months as stagnant energy inside the cells is cleared and cells are replaced. If you do take ASEA, it's worth monitoring not just the major illness/ area you wish to track. Often ASEA works at more subtle levels as well so be aware of all changes that occur after taking it.
Wrong. Data will convince me. But since there are no data, I am convinced you're talking rubbish (besides the fact that you're making up scientific terms in an attempt to sound intelligent).

Wait, you say the only way to be sure is to buy a ton and use it!? Count me in! That definitely doesn't sound like BS.

Also: Stagnant energy? What the hell does that mean?

Let's see. Sign up for the forum and your first post is defense of ASEA. Not at all fishy? I too have read the marketing and pages of research and have to say its well packaged, however I can't get past the fact that it is multi-level marketing, based in Utah, and the only review praising it as the life water to end all searches for the fountain of youth comes from a sponsired athlete. The Plecebo effect works like nothing else does in about 20% of people, proving the power of the brain, and it may very likely be what RR is experiencing. Would love to see before and after bloodwork that shows improvement in markers of inflammation etc.. but a controlled cloinical environment is necessary to account for confounding variables of diet, supplementation etc. that many folks would also be doing that would contribute to positive results.

Also, very annoying, is a person I know who is a representitive. Can't spend 15 minutes around her without her going into a canned speach directly off the web site to try to sell me on the magic of the elixer of the Gods. I actually see her now and hide.

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach

I'm sure that if I took the time I could could write up an equally scientific sounding description of urine that I caught in a bottle after it had run down a Carbon Fiber downtube. Of course I would have to call it something else.

What a bunch of crap / BS. Almost as bad as TV Preachers for fleecing people out of their money.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.

I don't care who is sponsoring it. you see many known athletes walking around with these stupid ion-balance bracelets. If you want to see performance improvement just train smart and stop spending money on this crap... just my 2 cents.

horseshit

sealover wrote:
There seem to be some misunderstandings about ASEA on this page. I was introduced to ASEA 4 months ago by someone who is a leader in health in the UK and internationally and who has taught me about natural supplements of different kinds and cellular healing. I have used various supplements on myself and clients for several years and generally have a good sense of what they do. Please note, I am not here to sell ASEA. There are no links within this thread to a company site. My intention is purely to clarify the facts about what ASEA is and does.

1. ASEA's ingredients are salt water and redox signaling molecules as proven by third party testing. 15 kinds of RSMs are in ASEA although the specific composition is not made public. It was thought impossible that these molecules would be stabilised ( previously they just returned to the salt water state). It has taken 16 years of foundational research to get to this point and the atomic physicist Gary Samuelson took 3 years to stabilise the molecules. This is why ASEA is groundbreaking.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter

First all, Seal is definitely over, even Heidi got rid of him!

second: I'm very interested in stagnant energy. Is it like when I don't empty my lawnmower before winter and the gas turns to lacquer

And peroxide is a RSM, could I just drink that instead? I'm also very interested how these RSM manage to make it to the muscle w/o being reduced to non-active species on their way, I mean glutathione and other free thiols are pretty abundant in the circulation?

stagnant energy inside the cells

That's a hoot.

-Scott

Re: ASEA water? Anyone using this? Reviews? [npage148] [ In reply to ]

I'm sorry, but there are 14,900,000 results on the Google for 'stagnant energy'... if the Google ranks it, it must be true...

Re: ASEA water? Anyone using this? Reviews? [carneval] [ In reply to ]

Also, why would an atomic physicist have anything to do with this? You'd want a chemist, specifically a synthetic chemist, to do this work.

You actually want a magician to do this work.

Styrrell

Re: ASEA water? Anyone using this? Reviews? [lemond853] [ In reply to ]

Food grade hydrogen peroxide can be used at a certain dosage with distilled water for detoxing and I have used it on several occasions but it is not stable as ASEA is.
Further clinical trials are being done with results due in a couple of months.

http://myaseaonline.info/...fficiency_US_ENG.pdf
http://myaseaonline.info/...hitePaperVTUSENG.pdf
http://myaseaonline.info/...ioactivityUS_ENG.pdf
http://myaseaonline.info/...ification_US_ENG.pdf
http://myaseaonline.info/...dies_for_Website.pdf

http://test.askdrgary.com/Molecules.aspx - the website of the researcher who stabilised the RSMs.

Re: ASEA water? Anyone using this? Reviews? [carneval] [ In reply to ]

thank you for reading my mind and writing it out...hilarious to read bad scientific claims it's almost better than hearing people try to defend religion

Never trust a doctor that goes by "Dr. First Name"

Is there ANY peer-reviewed data showing ASEA befit?

Just glancing at the white paper of the VT study. First it's unblinded and unrandomized so the whole paper is worthless beyond that point. If we overlook that glaring error the only thing ASEA claims to do is extend time to VO2 max. Is that even a worthwhile marker of benefit? The paper also lies and says time to VT was extended when the p value is greater than 0.05.

this one kills me:

reading through, keep in your mind that "the product" is saline solution, lol

sealover wrote:
Food grade hydrogen peroxide can be used at a certain dosage with distilled water for detoxing and I have used it on several occasions but it is not stable as ASEA is.
Further clinical trials are being done with results due in a couple of months.

http://myaseaonline.info/...fficiency_US_ENG.pdf
http://myaseaonline.info/...hitePaperVTUSENG.pdf
http://myaseaonline.info/...ioactivityUS_ENG.pdf
http://myaseaonline.info/...ification_US_ENG.pdf

http://test.askdrgary.com/Molecules.aspx - the website of the researcher who stabilised the RSMs.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter

Re: ASEA water? Anyone using this? Reviews? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]

Recent research results from the Human Performance Lab on athletes who use ASEA...

MULTISPORT: New research shows link to drinking ASEA and likely Glycogen sparing for athletes:

Study finds that after drinking ASEA for one week, athletes experienced shift in 43 metabolites
Salt Lake City, Utah -- ASEA, LLC announces the release of groundbreaking findings at the Experimental Biology 2012 Conference in San Diego of a new study from the Human Performance Laboratory showing increased power output and endurance among competitive athletes.
The study supervised by Dr. David C. Nieman, DrPH, FACSM at the Human Performance Laboratory, Appalachian State University, found that after drinking ASEA athletes experienced massive free-fatty acid mobilization in the blood PRIOR to exercise to a level normally found only after heavy exercise.
"These are very significant findings," said Nieman. "Our research demonstrated that ASEA is causing mobilization of free-fatty acids PRIOR to exercise, making this source of fuel available at the outset of exercise or competitive performance. This has important implications, especially regarding glycogen sparing, which is something every athlete tries to achieve." Glycogen sparing is the use of non-carbohydrates as a source of energy during exercise so that the depletion of muscle glycogen is delayed. When glycogen is spared the body burns fats for energy, making a greater contribution to an athlete's efforts during the initial stages of a race. This leaves more glycogen for the later stages of racing or exercise, and muscle fatigue will be delayed.
The research found that after drinking ASEA for one week, athletes were experiencing a shift in 43 metabolites.
"We have rarely seen such a drastic difference. For 43 of those signals to change, that is a quarter of the metabolite profile that we are monitoring. It is a huge bump in metabolite shifts that are due to the ingestion of just one product," said Nieman.
What do these metabolite shifts mean for athletes?
"Athletes actually started the exercise after drinking ASEA with a lot more of these free-fatty acids in their blood. The reason that is important is that the muscles will actually use that as fuel, sparing the muscle glycogen and the use of amino acids which is what we found as we analyzed the data," said Nieman.
"Every understanding from the literature is that these probably came from the fat stores in the abdominal area," said Nieman. "So if you drink ASEA we found that the fats go up in the blood. If you're not exercising, those fats will still be used to support the body's metabolism for life."
Simply drinking ASEA for seven days mobilized fuel stores in the body from abdominal fat. For those that want to burn more fat during exercise ASEA is ideal. Even without exercise the freed up fat stores will be used by the body as fuel.
Although this is the first laboratory study of ASEA on athletes, many endurance athletes have been drinking ASEA and noticing improvements in their race times, recovery after racing/training, etc.
James Lawrence, World Record, Most Triathlons 70.3 races, said, "I've experienced all these tremendous benefits over the last few years when I'm doing all these world records, and maybe didn't understand it, but was fearful to go off the product. With this new study it's really helped me understand why I don't get sore, and why I'm able to just lock in this strong pace and hold it for so long."
Cody Waite, professional Xterra triathlete, had this to say about Dr. Nieman's study. "My thoughts on the study are that I kind of already knew this through my own experience with the product. But at the same time it's great to have that solid evidence that laboratory test make official. That gives it that official stamp of approval from the scientists and then the stamp of approval from lead athletes."
Diana MacManus, three-time national swimming champion said, "With ASEA I've noticed that my times and my meets have improved significantly. Learning about the research behind ASEA boosts my confidence and reinforces what I already know." Typically, muscle glycogen is reduced in the body during a single or many groups of energy expenditures. For example, during a single sprint muscle glycogen may deplete by 25% to 30% of the resting levels. Similarly, at the end of longer durations (60 to 90 minutes) of high, moderate and low exercise muscle, glycogen will be dramatically reduced or depleted.
The study included 20 fit athletes in a randomized, double-blind, placebo-based, cross-over study. After baseline testing for VO2Max and body composition, one-half of the athletes drank four ounces of ASEA each day for seven days. The other one-half of the athletes drank four ounces of a placebo for seven days. Then all athletes completed a 75-km cycling trial, with blood drawn prior to the trial, immediately after the trial and one hour after the trial.
After a "washout" period in which none of the athletes drank ASEA or the placebo, a seven day cross-over study was conducted. The original ASEA group drank the placebo and the original placebo group drank ASEA for a seven day period. Then all athletes completed a second 75-km cycling trial, with blood drawn prior to the trial, immediately after the trial and one hour after the trial.
The research demonstrated that drinking ASEA taps into the body's largest energy reserves, freeing fatty acids from adipose tissue, BEFORE exercise or athletic competition.
"This unexpected mobilization of fatty acids in theory will lead to better endurance in athletes, assisting athletes to maintain a certain pace for longer periods of time," said Nieman.
The research found that the release of fatty acids is coming from fatty adipose tissue, the body's source of abundant, available energy. Adipose tissue is fat stored around the organs of the body, with the most common and largest fat store being the abdominal area. Adipose tissue triglycerides represent the largest energy reserve in the human body. Utilizing these stores is critical for prolonged endurance exercise.
The study also demonstrated that the athletes in the study experienced a massive increase in blood levels of ascorbic acid (vitamin C) after exercise. This could indicate less oxidative stress on muscles. Further research is being conducted to determine the implications of this increase.
"This study is the latest in ASEA's commitment to ongoing research. The frontiers of redox signaling molecules and ASEA are constantly being pushed. This latest study is not a destination, but an on-ramp," said Verdis Norton, Chief Executive Officer at ASEA.

Human Performance Laboratory
The mission of the ASU/NCRC Human Performance Laboratory is to investigate the influence of unique plant molecules (e.g, flavonoids such as quercetin, luteolin, and epigallocatechin 3-gallate or EGCG) on age-related loss of muscle mass (sarcopenia), muscle mitochondrial biogenesis, and exercise-induced changes in immune function, oxidative stress, and inflammation. The Human Performance Laboratory is located at Appalachian State University North Carolina Research Campus and is affiliated with the North Carolina Research Institute which brings together eight universities as well as researchers at Dole, General Foods and Monsanto.

It never amazes me to see people with no experience or knowledge of something making complete assumptions about it just to keep someone else down. Asea has given me my life back, after 16 years of sensory neuropathy pain I can feel my toes, don't have stinging sensations, or stiff sore muscles anymore asea is real and is not a scam and anyone who tries it will soon discover that the world is full of people who just love to hate.

Prev Next