Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Carrying an EpiPen on the bike or run
Quote | Reply
Due to an emergency room incident after a bee sting at the end of last summer, I now have to carry an EpiPen with me. I have not been carrying it during the winter (I live in Indiana) but now that it's warmer out, I feel I should be prepared and have it on me for long rides and runs. I have searched to see if there is a travel pack or something other than the large pen available. I have not found anything. I was wondering if any others with similar allergies have suggestions on how to carry the pen. It's too long to fit in my fuel belt or my bike pouch. Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying an EpiPen on the bike or run [kell1234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know you can get an epi pen Jr for the wee ones, but I don't think it's smaller. For what it's worth, don't sacrifice the dosage. There is an issue with the epinephrine wearing off before you can get medical treatment and the symptoms returning.

Pack a Benadryl too and if you have to pop that pen, hit the ER.

You'll quickly accrue expired pens. Stash them around. You never know when an expired one is your best bet.

@christopher_borden •
Spinning Spoke • Dimond Bikes • Flo Cycling • Castelli Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jersey pocket. Velcro strap to bike. Empty water bottle. Strap on arm (like an iPod thing).

Here's a belt: http://www.diamondathletic.com/...;Medical-Bags-E-Belt

Here are some more: http://omaxcare.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can get the Benadryl chew tablets to carry in addition to the Epi, but they will be 12.5 mg, not 25, so I would pack at least 6.
They make different cases for them that you can carry.

Mizuno Mustang shorts have a handy zipper pocket that might accommodate an Epi Pen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto here, I had your same issue last summer. Trouble is the pen is a bit bulky to be carrying around (better than dying though)......but the real problem I noticed is that it's not supposed to be subjected to direct sunlight or extreme heat/cold. So not sure how that would work with biking/running since you're usually in sun/heat, and can't carry it in the car very well since it would get extreme sun/heat.

Soooooo I figured best to just carry around the cell phone, as well as some Benadryl and Prednisone. The Ben/Pred might ward off any major issues without an ER trip, or at least delay it so you have more time to get there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you tape or zip-tie under the saddle? This may work but could put you at risk for it flying off if you hit a bump.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some triathletes use the "Wedgie" to carry their EpiPens in. The main reason is that they can get to them in a hurry (it takes approx. 3 to 5 seconds to open the Wedgie and access the storage compartment). Because of this, we offer a free "medical alert" sticker to any of our customers who ask for one. You can place the sticker on the outside of the Wedgie - this will alert any medical personnel that there is medication and/or medical information inside the Wedgie.

Hope that helps,
Tom

www.myWedgie.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure of the size of an EpiPen, but if it's anything like an insulin pen (which is about 6.5 inches long), here's what I do: I slide my insulin pen inside up the front leg of my shorts in T1 and it's stays put against the front of my thigh for the bike. In T2 I slip on an arm cooler/warmer and rest it in there against the top of my forearm for the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying an EpiPen on the bike or run [USPro Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
prednisone is not a bad idea, but takes 24 hours to work (since it works on an intra-nuclear receptor, and has to get through the cell membrane, etc to work). so make sure that all if you take that, you also take benedryl and the epipen, and get to either your health care provider or an er.

ps: the dose on an epipen jr is definitely less than an epipen. use the epipen if you need one.
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying an EpiPen on the bike or run [kaolelo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for the very helpful tips and suggestions!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have this issue with my son, who is 6 and has life-threatening food allergies and as a result, the EPI pen kit goes everywhere. That includes biking, running the kids races he enjoys, or just out jogging around, etc. The issue for us is likely same for you: there are actually two EPI pens in a kit (have to have redundancy) plus a little Benedryl packet, and thus the "kit" is not actually that small. And while sunlight is not itself a problem, heat is. Of course, you or a third party must be able to access the EPIs quickly. If you need to follow this level of care with this size kit, then the carry options are more limited.

What I am down to for running is a waist pouch that has stretch to it. I've been able to cram the EPIs into a SPI belt, which comes with toggles to hold bib number. It is NOT the most comfortable option becuase the EPIs do not conform to your waist, but it is the lowest profile solution I've found to date. None of the other options I have found meet all of above parameters.

Multiple options for carrying while cycling for training - take your pick. During races, though, it's trickier because of the transition to run and then the run itself. I would probably go with SPI belt option there as well since you need a belt anyway for your race number. Plus, it is always on you even if you get separated from your bike.

We find that always having the EPI kit with us is more of a burden than it would seem at first blush, but it is our reality. I will re-check this thread for other ideas people may have - we are always looking for good ones.
Quote Reply