Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Possible to undermount Clip-ons on Base Bar?
Quote | Reply
Although I'd love to blow $500 on a Hed Aero Bar, it's just hard to justify given current finances. But I want to get lower in my aero position and my stem / base bar / clip-on set up is down in the head tube as far as it will go. It seems to me that it might be possible to mount the clip-ons on the underside of the base bar, and build up the elbow pads enough allow the forearm to clear the base bar. I think that the shifter extensions are round tubing so I could rotate those 180 degrees.

Pardon the crude diagram below, but this is how it would look roughly. I think I would just take out the removable shifter bent tubes, remove the elbow pads, flip the clip-ons over and mount them to the underside of the base bar. I'm guessing it's not a good idea to mess with the mounting hardware on the clip-on bar -- just install it as is, but upside down. Then I'd have to figure out how to put the elbow pads on the 'upside down' clip-on. I think the shifter tubes would just slide into tubes.

Has anyone else considered this or done it? If this would work, the base bar and brakes would be completely unaffected. The only thing that would change is that my elbows would sit lower by maybe the height of the base bar (which could be significant I guess). Heck, I'd even get that Jan Ulrich lower-hand position by reaching over the base bar down to the shifters...

looking forward to the feedback (and catching up to Slowman if I can get lower and faster).

Tom C
Quote Reply
Re: Possible to undermount Clip-ons on Base Bar? [BikesTooSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The limiting factor in how low you can set up your aerobars is how low you'll be able to get the armrests. This usually means the top handlebar (basebar) is the lower limit. (Although there was a wacky example a while back of some dude mounting aerobars way below the base bar by using a modified/custom stem. The bars clipped to an extension on the stem rather than the base bar. It looked like a most unsafe setup.) Anyway, Profile Design has a couple of bars where the extensions mount to the underside of the base bar (like the Carbon Stryke and the Split Second) but these don't really get you much lower given how high the armrests are. I think that unless you can lower your base bar any lower, you'll have to see what mods you can do to get the armrests as low as possible. The Carbon Strykes may be a good place to start. If it were me, I'd experiment with a standard aerobar setup and try out a stem with a drop versus a rise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would see if you can find regular Sub 8 ckip ons. I don't know if 3TTT makes them anymore, but the armrest is level with the base bar. They do the mini Sub 8, but this is a shortie.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure how low you are, or how low you want to get, but one of my training partners has the John Cobb fit video, which we used for our set-up at the beginning of the season, and he says there are limits to how low you should go, both for aero and power reasons. I don't have the numbers with me, but I think he said that your shoulders(picture a point right through the center of your shoulder when you're down in your bars) should be no less than 2" above your hips(same idea with the hip measure as with the shoulders). Also, he said that your hands should actually be angled up slightly, as you'll notice Lance has his set up. Now, I'm no John Cobb, and obviously Ullrich is doing something right since he moves fast as the devil, but I expect his advantage is raw power and that he uses those bars down low for leverage, and not so much for the aero advantage of having them set so low. Just some thoughts
Quote Reply