Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Bike ? for MOP and BOP
Quote | Reply
Just wondering, as I am about to do my 1st IM, do people, specifically us MOP and BOP stop at Special Needs? Or is everyone just riding through and hoping they grab their bag?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Bike ? for MOP and BOP [jima] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it depends on the person. I usually stop. I find it's a good place to stretch the legs and hit the portas. And, I usually have a can of previously frozen Pepsi in there so I drink that down and go.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with Kathy. If, like me, you plan on riding 6 hours plus and running 5 hours plus, there is really no need to do ANYTHING quickly on race day. Take your time. Walk from the swim to the bike. Put socks on. Stop your bike to pick up your feed bag. Stop at aid stations for a drink. Walk all the uphills on the run.

Enjoy the day. All of these little "slowdown" moments will cost you in total maybe 10 minutes. Out of a 12-15 hour day, those are nice minutes.

I wish IMs had an option to do it like a century ride, with no timing and no places. Let the racers take off at 6:30 am, and the novices and "tourists" take off after the racers have cleared out of the swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may want to stop if you have special preferences for example if you want clif bars and they only offer gu on the coarse. Otherwise, can carry lots of stuff in the pockets of a bike jersey.

So its not necessary to stop, particularly if you are concerned about making a bike cut-off time.

At least thats the approach my wife used at IMUSA2003. (she was the fifth oldest female to complete IMUSA2003 and made the bike cut-off with only 8 minutes to spare)

I would also recommend eating pre-prepared sports foods like powerbars, clif bars, gu, etc. These items are extensively tested and proven by thousands of athletes over many years.

Stay away from making up your own foods like peanut butter jelly, Ensure, or other wacky items that are not designed for endurance sports.

For the most part for a BOPer I think you should approach the ironman bike leg with the notion that you click in to your pedals and don't click out for 112 miles. Although that might not end up being the case that is how you should approach it.

You should be continually making forward progress, its not a Sunday afternoon club ride.

I was, now I will tri again!
Any time is a good time.
God Bless you my friend.
Quote Reply