Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
so it begins my friends...the titans awake
Quote | Reply
yes this past weekend began the football preseason. around the corner regular season, playoffs, then...SUPERBOWL!

may i wish you and your team the best of luck this season. may they keep it tough and smart. may they avoid strippers, drugs, booze, fast cars and jail time.

we move out of the sacred summer of endurance into the pale winter of pain.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Last edited by: customerjon: Aug 3, 03 19:38
Quote Reply
Re: so it begins my friends...the titans awake [customerjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who cares? This is a triathlon forum. American football is a fringe sport in a worldwide context. Enjoy your US football but don't take up space on a triathlon forum with discussion of that pastime unless you want English Premier League fans to start posting about Manchester United's latest exploits.
Quote Reply
Re: so it begins my friends...the titans awake [itchyghost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
did someone hear something?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or Chelsea or Arsenal or Liverpool, Newcastle, Tottenham, Blackburn, Leeds, Southampton....................................

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: so it begins my friends...the titans awake [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahh pride in sport! god i loveit.

Quote Reply
Sounds Like itchyghost has issues [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like itchyghost is unable to appreciate other forms of sporting! I on the otherhand can appreciate the NFL, the sporting thugs and all they stand for. Although my beer and cholesterol consumption DO elevate from September to January. Good thing I get in the long winter runs before the Sunday ritual begins each week. By the way... the last I heard we are in the USA and free speech ( and yes debate IG) are cool. Go Bears! (OH I know I just lost some respect there) Sorry.
Quote Reply
Re: Sounds Like itchyghost has issues [Freedie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
did itchyhost say something? since the regular season has not started let me give you a harty "GO BEARS!!!". i will be watching my cowboys not looking for wins but looking for hints of former greatness.

i will keep everyone posted on the path the cowboys take this year. it will take lots of tears to do it, but i will keep my eyes on the prize.

Quote Reply
Goo luck also [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, Any NFC team... I got props to. There is a guy on their team rookie... Tony Romo from my AM Eastern Illinois Univ. So I got some stake in Dallas. One good thing about Dallas is they can put together a deacent year pretty quickly cuz they got the $$$ and depth. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Lighten up, chief.

And next time you take a sip of a sports drink how 'bout a nod of appreciation to the US football squad of the University of Floriday, who tested out a hydration experiment dubbed "gatorade" almost 40 years ago. Quite a while after that the prevailing soccer superstition was that you shouldn't even drink water during matches because it "makes your legs heavy".

And US Soccer fans may not know what to sing other than bellowing U-S-A, U-S-A over and over, but US football, not unlike the Premier League, has a tradition of toe-tappin' songs.

and go Arsenal! (Man U. -- gimme a break!)

Bear down, Chicago Bears, nyah nyah-nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah-nyah-nyah....

[this stream of unconsciousness brought to you by the CustermerJon Anti-Defamation League]
Quote Reply
Re: so it begins my friends...the titans awake [pyker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love it when anyone decides that one sport is inferior to others or should not be discussed along with others. Sounds a lot like the talk cycling gets from more mainstream US sports fans. As far as I'm concerned baseball, hockey, and basketball are all just diversions while I wait for the Tour in July and football in the fall. All great games, but man, do I love me some football.

By the way, it's good to hear from the black and blue division, and the Monsters of the Midway. Go Bears.
Quote Reply
Re: so it begins my friends...the titans awake [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I for one cannot wait. Poor itchyghost. I would love to hear a little now and then about this "fringe" sport, football. This is a triathlon forum, sure, but what is stopping us triathletes from talking about other sports? I played football in HS and college. I still get ringing in my ears from a hit I took my junior year. You may joke about me having brain damage, but you should have seen the other guy. Whenever I toe the line for a race in the rain or cold weather or have difficulty in a race that I didn't anticipate, I visualize when my coach came out onto the field after that play and picked me up by the facemask and screamed "You didn't get here by being a pussy, so don't become one now!" and threw me towards the huddle. There are plenty of stories like this one out there in this community (some probably alot more inspiring too), so I think we should hear about them!

Parcells will be .500 this year, make the playoffs next year, and win the superbowl the year after that!

"Maybe you should just run faster..." TM
Quote Reply
Re: so it begins my friends...the titans awake [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Bears??? The Cowboys??? OY!

THE PACKERS RULE! And the Chiefs! Poor me, living out here in 49er-whiner land and even worse, the Raiders.

Cycling, tri and football--heaven!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's wrong w/ talking a little football? We've talked NBA basketball and a little hockey on this forum in the past. I will be w/ customerjon following my beloved COWBOYS every move!

It will be very hard for me to see Emmitt playing for another team, though. A very sad day indeed.
Quote Reply
Re: Sounds Like itchyghost has issues [Freedie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Sounds like itchyghost is unable to appreciate other forms of sporting! I on the otherhand can appreciate the NFL, the sporting thugs and all they stand for. Although my beer and cholesterol consumption DO elevate from September to January. Good thing I get in the long winter runs before the Sunday ritual begins each week. By the way... the last I heard we are in the USA and free speech ( and yes debate IG) are cool. Go Bears! (OH I know I just lost some respect there) Sorry.

I appreciate many other sports, pursuits and diversions; I just don't feel compelled to share my many non-triathlon interests with this triathlon forum as the topic of a new thread. I clicked on customerjon's post thinking he was referring to the titans of triathlon and ended up lost in a USAmerican football thread. It's okay when threads go off-topic tangents, but come on, the intent of CJ's post was to start a new thread to get football fans excited about the upcoming season.

Go ahead and discuss USA football here, and next time the Aussies and Kiwis will start regaling us with their most inspiring moments on the cricket field and rugby pitch.

And no, this is not the USA. You may be in the USA, but last time I heard the Internet doesn't stop at the USA's borders. This is an international forum by virtue of the international nature of the Internet, and I am posting from nowhere near the USA (geographically, at least;-).
Last edited by: itchyghost: Aug 4, 03 19:30
Quote Reply
Re: so it begins my friends...the titans awake [JM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JM will all got stories brother. most of all we all got the memories. my favorite feeling was putting full pads on during two-a-days on those god awful texas august afternoons. nothing nothing better then the look on the running backs face when they didn't know you where coming. offense gets the glory but defense will win the games.

itchyghost dude come on. if you got something sporty for us sub human fridge sportys let us know. i love all sports,well not baseball, but tak about english football. i'll listen, i'll learn.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a few words for you : Direct TV Season Pass !! Yeah, I'm a loser. Winters in Maine are awfully long though. Rams fan all the way (I'm entitled since I'm a UNI alumnus with Mr. Kurt Warner). I really do like watching college football also, nothing like watching the top teams when one loss may be the end of your championship run. I'm getting all tingley just thinking about it . . . try to get a long run in the morning if the roads are clear and ride the trainer while watching football.
Quote Reply
Re: Sounds Like itchyghost has issues [itchyghost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
And no, this is not the USA. You may be in the USA, but last time I heard the Internet doesn't stop at the USA's borders. This is an international forum by virtue of the international nature of the Internet, and I am posting from nowhere near the USA

For what it's worth, I'm in the USA and have been my whole life, but for some reason my patriotism falls way short of including American sports. I'll take F1 over NASCAR; GP motorcycle racing over dirt track; cricket, soccer, and rugby over baseball, football, and basketball; and cycling over everything. I can't for the life of me understand where most Americans get their appreciation for their beloved sports. I think any activity that gives men an excuse to get drunk and sit in front of the TV is considered a sport in this country.
Quote Reply
Re: Sounds Like itchyghost has issues [2WheelsGood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If anyone needs some punters, wander down to Oz in the during the AFL season. You will find some guys here who can comfortably kick a ball over 70m (Darren Bennet did OK, so I’m sure with a bit of coaching they would be able to get the hang time needed to add a bit of value).

Another request, would any team who could use a 20 year old Kiwi who is 6ft 2in and weighs around 216 pounds please recruit him. Joe Rokocoko is a winger for the All Blacks (New Zealand national rugby team), runs 100m in about 10.5sec and absolutely destroyed the Aussies the last time we played them. He has to be gone before the World Cup starts in October, otherwise we will have no chance of beating them! Thanks.

While my knowledge of the NBA is quite extensive, I have no real knowledge of the NFL. Any recommendations for a team to support? I’m used to my AFL team having losing seasons every year since they entered the competition 7 years ago, so who is considered the most pathetic team in the NFL?

Fortitudine vincimus - "By endurance we conquer"
Quote Reply
Re: Sounds Like itchyghost has issues [freo73] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I’m used to my AFL team having losing seasons every year since they entered the competition 7 years ago, so who is considered the most pathetic team in the NFL? My vote would be for the Cincinnati Bengals. They haven't had a winning season in 12 years.
Quote Reply
Re: Sounds Like itchyghost has issues [freo73] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Freo, used to live in Cottesloe myself. I presume you're talking about the Dockers and their losing streak. I was living in Perth when the Eagles first joined the VFL (as it was then). Remember going down to Subi oval to meet the team - Ross Glendenning (sp?) et al. On the rugby front, would quite like to see Rokocoko, Lomu, Sailor thrown on the gridiron to see what damage they could do.

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Quote Reply
Response to IG [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One last parting comment for sake of keeping things in perspective and positive. Hey IG. All due respect to you! I am very cool with you throwing a thread on about different sports. Soccer... which I know is the real football, rugby , bowling. Whatever! I will be happy to read a learn. I personally think it is good to have a little talk about other things we may have in common besides tri! I like to mix it up a little and it looks as though several others do as well. I love running, cycling tri etc. I just think each person should be invited to post what they want. The site it a tri, swim, bike , run site. It will always be that way. I do not think we have to worry that American style football fans and posts will invade this site. It could be possible that if you learned about the friendship, leadership, tradition and sportsmanship of football you would not be so quick to jump. Just my .02.
Quote Reply
Re: so it begins my friends...the titans awake [JeffJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mr jeff by the last post i can tell you have the world on a string. you are a scholar and a gentleman.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Customerjohn,

If I had the world on a string I could convince my wife that I need (the use of "need" here is questionable as "want" might be more appropriate) a yaqui . . .
Quote Reply
Re: so it begins my friends...the titans awake [JeffJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I'm a big Saints fan so talking football can be painful for me as well. I'd rather talk soccer with itchy.
Quote Reply
Re: Sounds Like itchyghost has issues [itchyghost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I clicked on customerjon's post thinking he was referring to the titans of triathlon and ended up lost in a USAmerican football thread."

No offense to anyone who writes on this forum, but IG, everytime I go through this forum I click on probably 5 threads that turn out not to be about what I thought or don't interest me as much as I thought they might. That's what your mouse is for. Click back to the index page and then click on a different thread. For someone who didn't want to spend time reading or writing about American football, you've sure spent a lot of time in this string.
Quote Reply

Prev Next