Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM 70.3 Kansas Chat with the race director!
Quote | Reply
Ironman 70.3 Kansas SpotlightLawrence, Kansas to host Ironman 70.3 event on June 10, 2012
Published Thursday, March 1, 2012

This summer, the city of Lawrence will once again embrace Ironman 70.3 Kansas as athletes come from all over to cross the infamous yellow brick road finish line. With cheering spectators dressed as characters from "The Wizard of OZ," the community spirit and unique atmosphere make this an anticipated race each and every year.
Advertisement

Situated along the banks of the Kansas and Wakarusa Rivers, Lawrence is the sixth largest city in Kansas. Home to the University of Kansas and Haskell Indian Nations University, this vibrant college town boasts annual music festivals, local art galleries, and rustic camp grounds. The University of Kansas campus is also home to the KU Natural History Museum and Spencer Museum of Art, both renowned local attractions known for their Romanesque style of architecture.
On Sunday, June 10, Ironman 70.3 Kansas will bring nearly 1,300 athletes to this lively community, offering the chance to compete for 30 coveted age-group qualifying slots to the 2012 Ironman World Championship 70.3. The 1.2-mile swim will begin in Clinton Lake, a popular recreational area for boating, fishing and water sports. Athletes will complete one loop, entering and exiting the water at the South Boat Dock. After a short, 20-yard run to transition, the 56-mile bike course ventures through the rolling terrain of Southwest Douglas County. Athletes should enjoy the variation offered on the course, as they encounter winding, flat stretches of road, as well as steep pitches and challenging hills. To local cyclists, this includes the “Iron-Cross,” the intersecting county roads of 1023 and 458. A two-loop, 13.1-mile run through Clinton State Park Campground will bring the day to a close; it is here that athletes may catch a glimpse of white tail deer, quail and turkeys, as native wildlife is abundant. Overall, competitors will find this course as beautiful as it is challenging, while spectators will feel welcomed by the open layout and scenic setting of the event.
"The culmination of the beautiful bike course, spectator-laden run course and Midwestern hospitality has made Ironman 70.3 Kansas one of the most popular races on the circuit. The community looks forward to the event every year and 2012 is no exception!" said race director, Ryan Robinson. In addition to the community of Lawrence, athletes can look forward to the support of Dorothy, the Scarecrow and Tin Man as they achieve their goal of becoming an Ironman.

On Tuesday, March 6, 2012 at 3 p.m. EST, there will be a live chat on the official Ironman 70.3 Facebook page featuring Ryan Robinson, Race Director of Ironman 70.3 Kansas. He will be available to answer all of your technical and race-related questions. For additional event information, and to register, visit www.ironmankansas.com.

Originally from: http://ironman.com/...0-2012#ixzz1oIKItuCl
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Kansas Chat with the race director! [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm doing this one first time this year. Is the run flat?
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Kansas Chat with the race director! [cyclops] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The run is super flat. Except for 1 nasty hill that you have to run twice. The ride is hilly, and the swim is good. Swim was a little choppy last year, but it's always been wetsuit since I've been doing it.

Quote | Reply
That hill on the run is a bit of a b**ch, if you ask me. But it's such a great course, all together.

Swim almost wasn't going to be wetsuit legal 2 years ago, but a cool front came through or winds changed or something to get the temp wetsuit legal on race day.

Awesome race!
Dang, it's tempting me, even though I have BSLT in June.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done this race twice. The first year in 2008 and then in 2010. I liked the course better the first year. In 2009 they changed the course and put in two transition areas. There is a transition area for the swim to bike and a separate transition for the bike to run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x3 on that hill... brutal, some run up it once, most are walking the second time. Have your family hang out right near T2, the run is like spokes on a wheel and you will run by them like four times.

I love this race, did it twice. Last year Chrissie Wellington put the finishers medal around my neck and told me I had a great race! She finished like 2hours ahead of me!
I'll see you there!
Quote Reply