Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Macho Grande] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Macho Grande wrote:
Well done, that could be the first time I've ever seen the arm rests higher than the seat...

Bob

That's what I like about this forum - other people see stuff that you don't - Thanks Bob. The good news is I saw myself on the bike during the video fitting and my back looked pretty flat. I have plenty of spacers to play with on the aerobar if I want to go more agressive, but not sure I would gain much. Most of my serious races will be longer distance, so need to balance the comfort level, but yes, I don't want to sacrifice too much of the human aero positioning.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [jesse@thr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For once I'm not trying to be a jackass, but....

If your back is that flat with the max spacers and your arms that high how does that handle remotely well?

And, how agressivve you get depends on your fit, really. It looks like you're about one bike size too small, unless you have a weird T-Rex physique.

Bob
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Macho Grande] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Macho Grande wrote:
For once I'm not trying to be a jackass, but....

If your back is that flat with the max spacers and your arms that high how does that handle remotely well?

And, how agressivve you get depends on your fit, really. It looks like you're about one bike size too small, unless you have a weird T-Rex physique.

Bob

Not sure what to tell you brother. I'm normal size 5'10", 31" inseam - no T-Rex staring back at me in the mirror. It is the medium frame. Had a professional fit, from a reputable and certified fitter / specialized dealer. All the spacers under the aerobar pads were removed, leaving two large headset spacers to play with. Won't be changing seat height or position - that is spot on. Handling seems fine - took it on a steep descent with some nice turns at maybe 35mph - not a problem (although I was probably in the drops so I could brake if needed). You do have me wondering if I would be just as comfortable if I removed a spacer.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by claytonheppner [ In reply to ]
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [kello711] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How strong is the magnet? Does your straw stay attached to the magnet throughout your ride? Over bumps? Just curious because the one at our shop seems to be fairly weak in strength.

Toro Performance
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [jbird2131] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is not the strongest, I rode yesterday and the straw came loose a bunch of times. Seemed like every time I hit a decent bump, it came loose, kinda annoying. I'm trying to figure out a better way to secure the straw.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CAnderson_SBC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any advice on how to fill the fuselage on the fly ? Fluids seem to back up and take a while to seep into the bottom of the bag. No way I could do this on the fly in its current state of function. I have size small shiv pro with size s,xs hydration system.

Magnet seems to work fine if not under tension. I used some velcro to hold the tubing streamlined under my aero bar pad.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [bchambliss10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about using a rare earth magnet from radioshack? That's what I plan on doing. The magnet inside pops out with a little wiggle work.

My frameset is here but I'm waiting for drivetrain to come in next week sometime... TORTURE

Toro Performance
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [rmg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never had an issue refilling, though I've only had my bike indoors on the trainer -- but as soon as I refilled I could drink with no problem. Maybe try reinserting the reservoir into the frame so there's no kinks? ( had an issue with the once)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [rmg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could try tugging on/jiggling the tube as you fill the bladder. It seems this takes the tension off the sides so they don't stick together so much.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it possible to run a battery in the seatpost? ie is the frameset optimized for internal wiring?

Toro Performance
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [jbird2131] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the battery is supposed to mount on the left chainstay. There are lugs there and I am assuming that is what they are for.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Philosoraptor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That´s my new ride.

Specialized Shiv Comp XL with a couple of upgrades ;-)

Last edited by: deirflu: Mar 12, 12 11:20
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [deirflu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
deirflu wrote:
That´s my new ride.

pics not working.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [odin99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
odin99 wrote:
deirflu wrote:
That´s my new ride.

pics not working.

Now? I can see it?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Newp. Not working.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine was suppose to come this past weekend... Getting a bit nervous for my race this weekend. Don't know if I can get a fitting and some rides in before Saturday.... Fingers crossed!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Philosoraptor wrote:
Newp. Not working.

Now?
I use the button "Insert Image" and upload it with URL. Is this the right way?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
deirflu wrote:
Philosoraptor wrote:
Newp. Not working.

Now?
I use the button "Insert Image" and upload it with URL. Is this the right way?

yep, working now. and WOW, those are indeed some upgrades! looks great (and HUGE)! congrats.

edit: how come you didn't go with the Pro frame?
Last edited by: odin99: Mar 12, 12 14:16
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [odin99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
edit: how come you didn't go with the Pro frame?

Because of the satin black paint job. Looks great.

The black and red of the Pro is nice too, but there are so many black and red bikes out there.
Last edited by: deirflu: Mar 12, 12 14:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very awesomeness. I really like those PRO bars. While I appreciate the adjustability of the Specialized bars, they just have far too much stack, especially when combined with the already very tall frame. Enjoy your ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CAnderson_SBC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Shiv Expert. Size medium. A few issues with the hydration system only. Everything else is perfect.

1. I'm having a hard time getting more than 20oz of fluid in the bladder once in the frame. It's also a pain to get the bladder into the frame after cleaning (empty, of course). I can put 36oz of fluid in the bladder out of the frame, but the capacity is dramatically reduced inside the frame. Any tips. I have blown into the straw to inflate the bladder once inserted into the frame.

2. Pulling/sucking fluid out of the bladder during a ride was less than easy. The hole seems too small and I can get a little at a time, but can't get a big drink. I checked for kinks in the hose. It is even a bit hard to suck fluid out with the bladder out of the frame.

3. The magnet. Dropped the hose on every big bump during the ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ernielson1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree with number 3. Our specialized rep said that they're aware of the issue and working on a solution. While we wait, I've swapped magnets for a much stronger one and used the rubber strap to secure a camelback straw holder to my left extension. It works pretty well, but a more elegant solution would be nice

Toro Performance
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ernielson1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can only get about 20oz in the bladder as well, but I am having no issues with drinking the liquid so far. The only time I have difficulty is when the bladder is just about empty, it seems to create a vacuum seal. I have attached a piece of Velcro to the straw and the aero bars and I have not had the straw come loose. A stronger magnet would be ideal but I have yet to find one.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [7718] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7718 wrote:
anyone have a review of the water bladder?

my experience has been less than stellar. hard to get in correctly (maybe i didn't even get it in right). once in, i couldn't even suck air through it because it was too compressed. also could only fit a few oz of water in because it was all compress. when i pulled it out and filled it with water and sucked on it, the flow was very low - much lower than a normal camel pack... meh. maybe its user error, so looking for other experiences.

Hey 7718

Before you put the bladder in to the frame make sure it is flat and doesn't have any wrinkles. Next use the hose to guide the bladder in to the hole in the top tube. When guiding the bladder in to the frame, be careful not to force the bottom of the bladder if to the front of the head tube. Aim the hose down the down tube gently shaking it as you are feed it in to free up any friction from the frame and bladder. Once the bladder is seated in the frame blow in to the bladder and inflate it.

The biggest problem I have seen with installing the bladder in to the frame is people getting stuck in the head tube area. make sure you are making the bend down in to the the Downtube and you should be good to go.

I am working on a video to show proper installation.

cheers!

Chris R.
Specialized Bicycle Components
PR/Media Relations
Quote Reply

Prev Next