Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

missed yesterday's long workout, how to proceed?
Quote | Reply
I'm 8 weeks out from my first 1/2 IM, which is the most important race of the remainder of the year for me. I've been doing my long run on Wednesdays and a brick, with a relatively short run on Sundays. Monday is usually my rest day.

I had a conflict yesterday and took the day off, but I think I can get away in time today to get something long in (thinking ride 2.25 hrs and run 0.75). What should I do after that? Just launch into next week on Tuesday and go straight through to Sunday's brick as planned? Take Tuesday off too? See how my legs feel Tuesday before deciding?

More info if necessary: 37 y/o, 4th year of tri. My fitness is really good right now, but moving to the longer stuff is a big change for me.
Quote Reply
Re: missed yesterday's long workout, how to proceed? [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dont worry about it - stay on your schedule. Dont try to over compensate for it with a harder week. No worries!

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A missed workout is just that - a missed workout. No big deal. Just continue as if it wasn't missed and don't try to make up for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with the others so far. One missed workout is not going to make or break your race. Continue as planned, and as if you got the workout in. You'll obviously be a bit fresher this week and it will be hard not to overdo it. Trust in your plan. You'll be fine.
Quote Reply
Re: missed yesterday's long workout, how to proceed? [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you guys are saying just take today off too instead of trying to get in the long workout today instead of doing the long workout and taking tomorrow off? I'm normally not this anal-retentive about it, but I'm really viewing the weekly long workout as the key to getting ready for the 1/2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are in far greater danger of overworking than underworking if you are following a plan.

Just like the others said, it's a missed day, it won't make a hill of beans difference in your results. It's a little like losing sleep one night, you can sleep just a little bit more the next day and be caught up...you don't have to sleep 16 hours the next day.

Here's the key to doing OK on your first venture into the long race. First, start out easy on each section...ease into the run and the bike. Then, when you are riding, continually ask yourself if you feel like you can get off the bike "right now" and run well for the distance you have to run...if the answer is ever, "I don't know" or if the answer is "Heck no!", simply immediately ease your effort until the answer becomes, "Sure, I can get off my bike right now and run the distance just fine."

With 4 years of Tris and a half-way decent training program, and following the above advice, you'll do fine. One good thing about venturing into the unknown longer races is: you can forget about the elapsed time and the fact it is a RACE for some people, and just enjoy the experience. It's an amazing thing to be doing, and sometimes it is easy to get caught up in the RACE thing. This first one is a learning experience, and it can really be fun.

PS: Practice your race nutrition strategy during training....don't experiment on race day.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>but I'm really viewing the weekly long workout as the key to getting ready for the 1/2.<<

Consistency on the day to day workouts over the weeks and months is far more important than one long workout.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: missed yesterday's long workout, how to proceed? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey people, I want to leave work early and go ride my bike! How 'bout showing me a little love?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about this, mr. mike. If you leave early and ride today, you are saying that you don't need a day off to rest up for your workouts this week. That must mean they aren't that hard because you certainly don't want to compromise the quality of those workouts. If those workouts aren't quality workouts, then you are probably just wasting time doing them. On the other hand, if those are quality, targeted workouts, and your schedule places a rest day on Monday to ensure you are prepped for another week of training, then you should keep your eye on the prize and keep your bike parked. If you really must fondle your bike today, how about giving it a good cleaning since it probably needs it if you've been training hard. I know its hard to resist but focus on what's ahead, not on what's past.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude. Your season's over. I can't believe you're even thinking of racing now. :-)

All seriousness, sounds like a typical pre-event, self-imposed head game. I hate it when that happens.
Quote Reply
Re: missed yesterday's long workout, how to proceed? [McJeez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fine, I'll stay here and work. Alot of fun you guys are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know how we know you'd try and do a soft recovery ride, but end up hammering away? We've all done it, some of us more than once! We know you, because you are like us.

The good thing is; you don't have to listen to our advice, it's just that we've all made that mistake and paid for it...we're just trying to save you the cost.

Welcome to the club of the obsessed.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply