Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

$1500 for powermeter
Quote | Reply
What would you do? I already have a computer.

Edit: Ok. Currently I have a Cannondale caad 10. So I'd need a BB30. But I'm planning on upgrading bikes next year (getting a TT bike). Are there a lot of bikes that are BB30?

Also, I have Shimano 105s. Would I need to change to SRAM?
Last edited by: natejay: Mar 4, 12 16:47
Quote Reply
Re: $1500 for powermeter [natejay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quarq.

I'd also look into a quarq.

and then there is also quarq.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: $1500 for powermeter [tri-tele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I vote for Quark love mine and you can change the batteries yourself, have not figured out how to get cadence to mt Garmin though.

Go Big or go Home
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends a bit.

Quarq if you have basically just one bike that you primarily ride.

Or you could actually get two PowerTap's for two different sets of wheels if you swap bikes a lot, at that price.

Sure, some would note that you could/can swap cranks between bikes - but for some folks that's seen as a pain.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: $1500 for powermeter [ironmanbigmac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Huh what garmin are you using. never had an issue with my 800.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: $1500 for powermeter [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:
Depends a bit.

Or you could actually get two PowerTap's for two different sets of wheels if you swap bikes a lot, at that price.

Sure, some would note that you could/can swap cranks between bikes - but for some folks that's seen as a pain.

and most of those people are known by the moniker "triathlete."

seriously though. Quarq all the way. here's how long it takes to do a swap on a Rotor Quarq:

45 seconds to loosen the pinch bolt
15 seconds to remove the 8mm NDS end bolt
20 seconds to push the spindle out
10 seconds to drop the chain off of the chain ring.

Now repeat that and add 1 minute, you'll be done in 4 minutes max, which i hear is the average amount of time for triathletes to pop their rear wheel into the drop out after fixing a flat
Quote Reply
Post deleted by deg01004 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok. Currently I have a Cannondale caad 10. So I'd need a BB30. But I'm planning on upgrading bikes next year (getting a TT bike). Are there a lot of bikes that are BB30?
Quote Reply
Re: $1500 for powermeter [ironmanbigmac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have the cadence magnet that came with you quarq mounted down by your BB. If you do you may have it in the wrong spot causing it not to pick it up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a CAAD10 and do not like the bb30 at all. Don't by a crank based PM if you are planning on using it for more than one bike. Rarely do you use the same crank configurations on a tt position and a road bike. Secondly, there are not many Tri bikes that have bb30 outside of Cdale. I would strongly suggest a PowerTap as it can easily be switched between bikes, and with a simple cheap wheel cover you have a disc wheel. The powertap's are also bullet proof and don't require any daily pre ride rituals, unlike the quark.

For 1500 you can get a powertap laced into a nice wheel that can be ridden on any bike or setup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kinda crazy when available for 43 bucks

http://www.amazon.com/...mputer/dp/B004VDKYEO

Retul Certified Fitter. gebioMized Pressure Mapping http://www.PedPowerPerformLab.com.
Retailer of Wahoo Fitness, Sable Water Optics, Enve Composit, Giro and more.
Zone3 USA Ambassador - use code DEAN25 for 25% off
http://www.OasisOne-Twelve.com - The ultimate hands free hydration system.
https://www.athlinks.com/athletes/19354499 - results.
Quote Reply
Re: $1500 for powermeter [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
dcrainmaker wrote:
Depends a bit.

seriously though. Quarq all the way. here's how long it takes to do a swap on a Rotor Quarq:

Now repeat that and add 1 minute, you'll be done in 4 minutes max, which i hear is the average amount of time for triathletes to pop their rear wheel into the drop out after fixing a flat

You are way off on the time...1:06 is all you need lol

Quote | Reply
get a BB adapter on your cannondale so you can run an english BB then buy a non BB30 quarq
Quote Reply
Re: $1500 for powermeter [NickG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NickG wrote:
echappist wrote:
dcrainmaker wrote:
Depends a bit.

You are way off on the time...1:06 is all you need lol

Yes, a classic YouTube video...always have that bookmarked.

That said, for the reasons outlined in pink, there is the reality there of a certain subset of folks that wheels are easier.

Again, love my Quarq though....

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: $1500 for powermeter [alui] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Cannondale and a Specialized - I believe both are BB30. Are there any negatives seen behind using a Quarq GXP+BB30 adaptor on both of them or should I just go the Quarq BB30 route? Reason I'm asking is because I'm still deciding between a Shiv and Speed Concept for my next bike.
Quote Reply
Re: $1500 for powermeter [dstrkt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ran a GXP crank on my cannondale slice. No real downsides except you lose BB30 (crank with wider spindle diameter and I believe narrower q factor). If both your bikes are BB30 why not get a bb30 quarq. if you plan on using a non bb30 bike in the future buy the adapters
Quote Reply