Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

protect our cycling lifestyle
Quote | Reply
I know this posted a few weeks ago but I just finished sending my letters and thought it important enough to bump back up to the top of the forum.
Don't let us cyclists, triathletes, commuters etc get screwed. Tell your representatives that you want these funds restored. You voted (hopefully) them in so they are your employees. Once gone you can probably kiss these funds goodbye forever. Email link provided at the end for your ease of use.

House Panel Votes To Axe All Bike Projects In 2004
What is this? I just saw this story today on Bicycle Retailer and Industry News:
Washington, D.C., July 14, 2003
A U.S. House of Representatives subcommittee on Friday approved a bill that would cut funding for transportation alternatives like bike paths in order to bolster highway construction spending.

The House Appropriations subcommittee approved a $90 billion bill for transportation programs, the U.S. Treasury and several other federal agencies for fiscal 2004.

The bill would completely eliminate so called transportation enhancement projects like bike paths and rail-to-trail conversions. Some $600 million was allocated for such projects this year; the subcommittee opined that such money would be better spent next year on highway construction and maintenance.

If approved, total highway spending would top $34 billion in 2004, some $4.8 billion above what President Bush requested and $2.5 billion more than what was spent in 2003.

The bill also included $580 million for Amtrak, $320 million less than what President Bush requested and less than a third of the $1.8 billion the company's managers said it needs to remain in business. Amtrak, a for-profit federal corporation, has never had a profitable year in its 30-year history. It is now $4 billion in debt.

All measures in the bill would go into effect for fiscal year 2004, which begins Oct. 1, 2003.

Send a message to your employees, after all you elected them to work for you.
http://econstituent.votenet.com/lab

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: protect our cycling lifestyle [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An opinion from north of your border - Bush is a Texas oil man so this legislation shouldn't be a surprise. Vote Democrat next time.
Quote Reply
Re: a lesson in politics [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The special interest group with the largest number of voters ALWAYS get what they want. Let's face it, cyclists are a small group compared to other voters. Why do you think there is all this talk of a prescription drug plan for old people? I'll give you a hint, it's not because the government suddenly became compassionate, but because both parties are trying to buy votes from one of the largest special interest groups in the country.
Quote Reply
Funding was put back in tro weeks ago NM [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nm
Quote Reply
Re: a lesson in politics [paule] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An election is an advance auction of stolen goods --

Ambrose Bierce (I think)
Quote Reply
Here's a question for you... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why do you want more bike paths? I just recently moved to Vancouver, an area where there are a good number of bike paths available (both in and outside of the city). My impression is that because of the large number of "alternate routes", the drivers are quite unaccustomed to seeing cyclists on the road and often get quite angry when they see a cyclist (me) sharing or taking up a lane on "their road". I get a lot of hand motions pointing towards the sidewalk, and people yelling at me to "get off the road". Contrast that with Ontario, where there are very few bike paths. I grew up riding in Ontario, and almost never got yelled at, had fists shaken at me, or people motioning me towards the sidewalk. I think it's because they're just used to seeing cyclists on the road.

I'd suggest that funding would be better spent on educating drivers rather than building paths and laneways to segregate the types of vehicular traffic. There will always be times when it's necessary for drivers and cyclists to share the road, and if drivers understand that, the odds of a nasty altercation goes down considerably.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Here's a question for you... [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Yep, completely agree with you here. Bikes belong on the road. Be leery of bike paths or other segregation techniques. Forrester is right.
Quote Reply
Re: protect our cycling lifestyle [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vote Democrat? LOL...I may be dumb, but I am not THAT dumb...last thing we need to bring up here is politics.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Here's a question for you... [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Why do you want more bike paths? [snip]
I'd suggest that funding would be better spent on educating drivers rather than building paths and laneways to segregate the types of vehicular traffic. There will always be times when it's necessary for drivers and cyclists to share the road, and if drivers understand that, the odds of a nasty altercation goes down considerably.

Transportation enhancements includes funding on road facilities and education. One can visit www.americabikes.org for a better understanding of issue.

"Funding was put back in tro weeks ago"

No, it was not. Transportation funding passed the appropriations sub-committee with zero dollars.
Quote Reply
Re: protect our cycling lifestyle [Record9ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
'...last thing we need to bring up here is politics."

Of course that's something you've never done before in your previous posts.

PS I still like France. You still gotta visit there sometime.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I put up the info not to start a political debate but b/c in Tucson I can go do 100 miles in a bike lane not in the traffic lane. When riding on roads that have no bike lane there is usually no problem, here anyway. I'm not for the bike path off the side of the road as everybody, their brother and kids use it and riding on it is as dangerous if not more so that riding on the roads, in tucson.
I am advocating that if one is concerned about having transportation funds put towards cycling, bike paths, education or bike lanes than one should speak out to your elected representatives.
If no one speaks out your elected officials will assume no one cares about the issue and are more likely to give it no thought. If they get 10 emails, faxes or letters they are more likely to be in favor of it.
If you don't care about this issue do nothing, if it concerns you do something, it's your and my lives and lifestyles on the line.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
'...last thing we need to bring up here is politics."

Of course that's something you've never done before in your previous posts.

PS I still like France. You still gotta visit there sometime.
Hey now - France isnt politics...Repubs and Dems alike dont trust the French. :)

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply