Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running-Workout Shorts
Quote | Reply
My wife has been searching in vain for a pair of running or workout shorts that are about mid-thigh length. She has tried Lulu, but she's 42 and she finds their shorts a wee bit too revealing for her. We're in Waikiki right now if anyone here has any suggestions, otherwise she can check online. A pocket or two would be nice. For comparison's sake, I have Lulu Response shorts, and she likes the basic idea of those shorts. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Jim
Quote Reply
Re: Running-Workout Shorts [jimmy d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wear compression shorts when I run and have longer, loose tops to cover the areas I would rather people not see too closely. I look for 5" inseams and pockets. I'm 5"2' and 43yo next week and feel comfortable with the length of 5" It also keeps me from chafing. My absolute favorite pair are from Nike and I got them about 10 years ago. Unfortunately they aren't made anymore. I find zip pockes on the small of my back are the most comfortable.

I have so many brands I can't remember them all. I can look tonight when I get home for more suggestions.

I have a couple pairs of these that I really like. http://www.brooksrunning.com/...omens-apparel-shorts

Tell her I understand the frustration. I'm no longer in the short shorts or short skirts age bracket and its hard to find running clothes for us.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know of any specific brands that might work, but I do know there there's not much in Waikiki. There used to be (maybe still is) a nike store, but the sizing etc was geared towards the Japanese.

There are a number of running/tri stores just outside of Waikiki that might have something. Boca Hawaii on Cooke St (west of Waikiki before downtown), Running Room on Kapahulu (east of Waikiki before Diamond Head). And there's a Sports Authority on Ward which is even closer to Waikiki than Boca is. Also there's Island Tri & Bike (IT&B) on Kapahulu, but I don't think they carry much in the way of pure running shorts. Boca has some stuff (Sugoi mostly).

Hope that helps!
Quote Reply
Re: Running-Workout Shorts [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Jen. She's not keen on showing her business when she works out and runs, but it seems women's trends are for low waist and short, revealing stuff. She doesn't want to look like a nun, but I think you get what she's after. I'll show her your post.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear her 100%. I don't have a cute flat belly or perky butt so the last thing I want to do is wear something a teenager can get away with. Good luck to her and tell her to have a great run!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Running-Workout Shorts [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We've been to the Running Room. She picked up a pair of Adidas there. She didn't find much else she liked there, though. IT & B didn't have anything, but I scooped a new bike jersey. There is another running store behind Ala Moana Mall we went into on the way to Sasabune, and that store didn't have much clothing either. Good shoe selection though, and shoe prices here are so much lower than Canada! We stock up on runners each time we come here. We leave tomorrow night, so we may try Boca before we depart.

Thanks. Oh, and we love it here. We're sad every time we leave. Beautiful place and nice people. Weather ain't so bad either.
Last edited by: jimmy d: Feb 22, 12 22:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was trying to edit on my IPad, but I must be doing something wrong. There is a nice Karmann Ghia on Diamond Head Drive just east of the crest of the hill by the Amelia Erhardt sign. We saw it every morning we ran along there.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by SpicedRum [ In reply to ]
Re: Running-Workout Shorts [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. We just returned from another run. Saw Scott Caan on the beach with his short board! One more look for shorts for her now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate short shorts too. I often buy MENs running shorts. They tend to go low on the leg, nice long inseam, and no super low waist either. That and I wear a lot of knee length/capris too ;-) I do like the Sugoi longer shorts (Womens) they do a variety of inseams.

tell her I share her frustration ;-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about wearing compression shorts w/ "normal" shorts over the top of the compression shorts. That cover almost everything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't do the short shorts either, (I have a big butt and thick thighs) but have found the Lululemon Groove Biker short to cover a great deal. I found then on the we made too much page for $29. Moving Comfort makes a nice compression short that covers well. I bought them from 6pm.com for $12 and they fit and hold well. Has she checked Lucy.com or Zobha.com?

Quote | Reply
Moving comfort compression. You can get them cheap on amazon.com. They aren't too tight, are long enough to cover the wobbly bits and have a pocket in the back for keys, a gel... Super comfortable. I bought one pair to try and now have four pairs!
Quote Reply
Re: Running-Workout Shorts [genkigirl1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all of you for the replies. We just returned home this afternoon and she's looking at the sites suggested. She is also, however, considering designing her own. Her mum owns a seamstress/custom sewing/ wedding gown/jill-of-all-trades business in the Okanagan and they are going to brainstorm. It seems so odd that this segment of the market is not served better. I seem to be able to find plenty of selection for myself from several different brands.
If any more ideas come up, please send them along. My wife is impressed at the great feedback here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run by that one all the time.

If you like Sasabune (who doesn't) try Mitch's next time. Gotta make reservations. Similar concept as Sasabune, but more off the beaten path. Looks like a hole in the wall, BYOB but outstanding sushi.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love Sasabune! We were there four times in two weeks. We made reservations before we left Canada. Mitch's, eh? Where is this place? I don't care about decor or location. It's all about the food. Great sushi isn't easy to find. Thanks for the tip. We'll be back in November, so we'll definitely go there.
We walked up to the Diamond Head Grill a few times as well. Different fare, obviously, but it hits the spot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mitch's is out by the airport. It's phenomenal. http://www.mitchsushi.com/menu-cs.htm

Another good place is South Shore Grill. About 1 block down the hill from Diamond Head Grill (you probably walked right by it). I like it better than DHG. Not as big of a selection, but excellent fish tacos.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been to the South Shore Grill several times. The fish tacos are great, and the prices are so low. I read all the surf mags while I wait for my order. They have some good treats there too. There's a little pizza place next to it that used to be a higher end pasta joint the last few times we were there. There is a little strip mall across the road where we buy smoothies from. I forget the name of the place, but there are a few places to eat and a dental office in the same plaza. We've hit the Dixie Grill a few times, though not on this latest visit. We didn't go to the North Shore or the east side this time, but we've eaten our way around the island. I at one of the shrimp farms last April, but I was kind of underwhelmed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run in Desoto Forza or Desoto Carrera. I find both really good - the Carrera better for longer distance stuff as they have a back pocket. The legs are also a bit longer in them. At only 5"1 though, I don't find the Forza's too short - just don't get the low rise unless you REALLY want low rise!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know many women who want that length and they buy De Soto Tuesday Run Shorts in size Small. Marketed as a male's short but women love them! They may be just what she's looking for.

Tracy M. De Soto
Femme Designer/CFO/Attorney
De Soto Sport
Quote Reply
Re: Running-Workout Shorts [sdtrigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I'll show her the link on the DeSoto site.
Quote Reply
Re: Running-Workout Shorts [Mr + Mrs C.C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The De Soto Forza shorts now have 3 back pockets - plenty of room for gel, blocks or a bar.

Tracy M. De Soto
De Soto Sport
Quote Reply
Re: Running-Workout Shorts [sdtrigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ooooh.....thanks for that sdtrigirl!!! I will invest in another pair. I usually tuck my gel either under my bra strap or under the leg, so a pocket would be great! Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Re: Running-Workout Shorts [Mr + Mrs C.C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely - the 3 pockets are super convenient!

Tracy M. De Soto
De Soto Sport
Quote Reply