Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
USMC triathletes please help
Quote | Reply
Alright- this is a bit shameless but I need help, and I apologize in advance if this inappropriate for this forum. I am currently stationed at MCAS Cherry Point and MCCS is refusing to open the pools for lap swimming due to a lack of funding to pay life guards. As well there is a good chance that the outdoor pool will not open this summer for the same reason. In the area there is not another pool to train at that isn't a 30+ min drive from base. Not only is this taking away the only place that the triathlete and swimmer populations on base have to train, but it is also taking away one of the best resources for our Marines to stay fit. I am asking that as many who can and are willing fill out an ICE complaint on this- the link is below. I am told that if enough of these are filled out that something will be done about it.

http://ice.disa.mil/...site&site_id=419

Thanks,
Dan
Quote Reply
Re: USMC triathletes please help [Evans.BU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Done....Was in 1st MAW and 3rd MAW in the late 70's, never had the fun of being at Cherry Point. Was at Tustin when it was LTA (now gone) then Iwakuni and Futenma before going over.....Cheers and Thank You for seving....Kenney
Quote Reply
Re: USMC triathletes please help [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenny,
Thank you for the help, and thank you for your service as well.

V/R,
Dan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
done, during my time at lejeune only access I remember having to the pools was when I was doing wsq
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done. I figured if I'm at Ft Bragg that's close enough. ;)

DrPete
MAJ, MC, USA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bummer. I was at camp Geiger and new river. The latter had all the nice facilities for training. Kept me fit, along with my daily 5 milers. I'll sign.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm stationed at Cherry Point also and MCCS is like the mafia there. So many promises, saying they "give back to the Marines", and that several new eating establishments are "coming soon" but it's been over a year and a half with nothing to show. Now this, yet another reason to think of MCCS as the mafia...I'm doing the ICE now, this disturbs me...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thought this was only an army thing. it's embarrassing how hard it is to stay fit in the military.

the problem is, frankly, the mindset of the civilian employees at most bases. they're old, out of touch, unfit, and hold a lot of keys to things. Road blocks.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Army here...always there to help a Marine out...

Quote | Reply
Yeah, the pools here have pretty limited hours too. One would think that if they wanted to make this stuff available to active duty people they wouldn't close at the same time people are getting off work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ICE form filled out
You need to leave II MEF and get out here to 29 Palms. Olympic size heated pool that is well ran and perfect weather almost year around for bike and run. It makes me sad I'm executing PCS orders back to DC in a couple of weeks.

Semper Fi

Quote | Reply
Stationed at Cherry Pit from '78-'81
Semper Fi
Bummer about the pool, I went frequently.
Filled out the form.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Signed the form. Served at Albany, GA and 29 Palms CA in the late '70s and early '80s. I will pass this along to other Marines that live in West Australia. Believe it or not, we have a multitude of Marines here and have a website. Thanks for your service.

Semper Fi,
Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done. The only way to beat the Marines is to get discharged. Good luck with the pool.

Quote | Reply
Done.

I'm stationed on Pendleton and use our pool at least thrice weekly. I'd be furious if MCCS didn't budget for life guard. I feel it's high time with the budget restrictions to return to the FAP program of Marines life guarding at the pools. Hell I'd put my name in for it!

s/f
Casey

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Army here, and done. "Lack of funding for lifeguards" is a pathetic excuse. I know budgets are tightening everywhere, but they have a long way to go before we have to resort to closing the swimming pools on a USMC base.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done. Former Marine from 29 Palms late 80s early 90s.

Selper Fi Brother
boski
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to help get Marines in the water ;-) Most of my career I kept them out of the water.

MMCS USN Retired
Quote Reply
Re: USMC triathletes please help [Constantine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bought to fill out the form too! Sucks bro...been in the Army/AF for the last 18 years now and this just stinks...

On another thought, my daughter is a lifeguard at the local YMCA (in KS, not Cherry Point, sorry). I'd be willing to bet you could find a couple of places like that who might have some staff that might be willing to donate their time (I know mine would for an hour or two each week if she were near) or possibly take a small fee...Or, maybe get a couple of you guys together to get certified to be a lifeguard and pose that to the folks that are holding the man down...

Kevin
Quote Reply
Re: USMC triathletes please help [TrisREffingHard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Air Force has got your back. Keep us in the loop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you all for the great response I will keep you apprised as to what happens! Also to all of you from our neighboring branches, thank you for the support- I am very grateful. To all you, prior and present service, I am deeply honored to get to serve and compete beside you.

Semper Fi,
Dan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Submitted- when I was at Lejeune 02-06, we had a couple pools to choose from. Sometimes it took a little driving around, but there was usually one open.

S/F
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Navy Diver doing what I can as well...

USMC = Amphibious = Water... Geez!

http://wattieink.com/elite-team/
Raising funds to help wounded veterans and racing RAAM 2013 with http://team4mil.org/
"If you are gonna charge... CHARGE HARD!"
Quote Reply
Re: USMC triathletes please help [mccalip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mccalip wrote:
Air Force has got your back. Keep us in the loop.

No kidding--best loop on Ft Bragg for the tri bike is the road around Pope AFB. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anything us civilians can do to help?

Seems like total bullsh_t to me. You guys are the only place our tax dollars are worth being spent. We should be giving you guys EVERYTHING you need.
Quote Reply

Prev Next